ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repairing a Key Mark

Not a 320d
Right ive got some touch up paint from Renault.

Do I just build the paint up like I would when repairing a chip mark, wetsand then machine polish?

Also, do I need to bother with clear coat?

Final question, whats the drying times I need to observe after painting?

I found the touch up pen from Renault... in pearl black was very soft and didn't dry hard even though i left it a while... it would always sand away, had a few cover ups but they where never great.

This time seeing as Renault don't stock black gold pens any more, i got a touch up kit for paints4u, paint has dried much harder and sanded a lot better, so personally id not use renaults touch up pen, but others might say its ok... and tbh it might be.

Not a 320d
I wante dpaints 4 u but they dont seem to do my colour. Should I mix the clearcoat in a little, will this help it set properly?

Ill be applying C1 over the top which is a decent coating in itself so should form a decent layer of protection over the scratch.

Not a 320d
Cheers. Its primer deep. Half the scratch will polish out the other will need paint. I saw that thread, not sure if I should do this method or just fill it with a brush.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I worked it in with a cloth so I didn't have to scrape off excess with anything like the 'de nibber' thing. the majority of the excess paint came off with a good IPA wipe down. yet to try it on stone chips. I've always found that applying too much paint in one go makes it more susceptible to being easily removed.

Not a 320d
Ok. Ill try that method. What ratio did you use when mixing the paint and laquer? Its fairly deep, deep enough so it cant be rounded off or removed. Im confident tat method will work with stone chips but not so confident that itll work with the key mark. In my mind it needs building up with a brush but Its not something ive done before.

Megane R26
You'll never get it looking great using this method, you'll always be able to see it.

How long is the bit which requires paint?

Not a 320d
You'll never get it looking great using this method, you'll always be able to see it.

How long is the bit which requires paint?

Ill try get a photo for you. Id say its a full 9 inches in length, maybe half of that needs paint, the other is deep laquer so should round off or be removed. I need some other bits respraying anyways so maybe I should have a crack at doing this and then just get it sprayed if its bad.

Not a 320d
Right ive had a crack. Paint is layered up now, taken me most of the day, not sure thats long enough between coats but whetever. Ill get some pics up once its been sanded and what not.

How long should i leave it for?

need a section of my front bumper spraying anyway so ill get that resprayed too if its a total f**k up.

STEALTH RAIDER
Ive used the spray tin method on my past few attempts and came up brilliant, million times better than a pen. Touch ups take longer and also sanding can be a pain if not done right. You can be left with a big imperfection (looks like a dint) if you sand either side of the scratch when flattening the raised paint down. Its very hard just to keep the paper angled to sand such a thin line. With tins you only have to worry about over spray around the scratch and 3000 grit would easily blend it in after, with no need for lacquer as the machining will pull the paint together once you've forced a little heat build up.

Last edited:
Touching up, no matter how much fannying about you do with wet sanding and building up layers, will never ever match properly. I don't care what any detailer says, it won't and you'll still see it's there.

You'd honestly have been better just saving yourself the hassle and waiting till you get it sprayed.

Not a 320d
Im sure, all about the experience isnt it. besides, I needed some chips touching up so ive done those along side it.

Woke up New Years Day to find someone had kicked my car door, so ive got that to spray now too.

Thats what you get for parking in the poor area of Hull. f**king utter peasants.

Not a 320d
Right the paint stick from renault looks nothing like my colour. Even the stone chips are a shambles its so discoloured. Its also a pile of steaming s**t, I blasted the touchup paint from the chips with my pressure washer today. Ive now ordered 100ml paint from paints4u as this s**t is ment to be good. Hopefully my paint code is (RNT) BLEU MALTE as thats what ive ordered. Hopefully this might look like a decent match. Ill have a bash with it and if its totally s**t then Ill just get it srayed. Well fucked off. I want rid of this god damm car its posessed by the devil and its also been cursed.

Not a 320d
No it hasnt, its a '59 Clio GT in Malta Blue. Ive owned it since new. the touch up stick just isnt quite right.