ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Restoring headlights ( general problem?? )

Range Rover sport
My headlights have been like this for a while now , all cracked and dull.
Not too sure how this happends but i know a few other clio owners that have this problem.

Anyway during the weekly car wash i got a bit fed up with the paintwork always being shiney and the headlights looking old and cracked so i desided to do something about it. :D

On the thursday lunchtime at work i got the car into the shop and masked up the lights.

P240909_125701.jpg

P240909_1241.jpg

P240909_124101.jpg

I then got out the block with 1200 wet 'n' dry and began to sand out the marks.

P240909_1248.jpg

After a while they looked spotless exept flatting down the headlights made them rather dull :(

Anyway i got out the machine polisher and wacked on some compound ...
once i had apllyed a coat or 2 i did the same with ultra fine polish and finaly ultra gloss finish.

P240909_1302.jpg

P240909_1303.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
Good job :)

I id mine roughly the other month...i need to redo them porperly at some point though :)

Clio Sport 172
They look much better, what products did you use? My right headlight is by far so much more DULL than the other one :dapprove:

Range Rover sport
I used 3M fast cut plus , 3M ultra fine compound and 3M final finishing glase

ibiza cupra
did mine a while ago and have to do them a few times since and they now need doing again but your do look good mate.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
didnt think you'd be able to do that with it being plastic actually! looks a hell of a lot better now

Dam they look 100% better, I've been having the same problem with my headlights all craked and looking crap! so I bought some plastx to have ago at cleaning it of!!! how ever!! it just made them all fog'd up, so not only where they craked they now where fog'd up!! long story short I got a mate to come round with his polisher and they came up mint! so over all I would not waste my money on this plastx if any one else is thinking of useing it!

STEALTH RAIDER
Dam they look 100% better, I've been having the same problem with my headlights all craked and looking crap! so I bought some plastx to have ago at cleaning it of!!! how ever!! it just made them all fog'd up, so not only where they craked they now where fog'd up!! long story short I got a mate to come round with his polisher and they came up mint! so over all I would not waste my money on this plastx if any one else is thinking of useing it!

You must have used it wrong then mate!!! This stuff is very good for lights. Wetsand with 800, 1000, 1200. Then use the plastx to restore the dullness. It works wonderes if you use it with the right pads. Lew :D

I did this to mine, Had to use a rough grit to get all the glaze off, Was yellow over, And still needs some work but they look so much better.

Range Rover sport
Tbh i ve only seen clio's with this problem. Not seen any other cars with the cracked dull effect on the headlights, has anyone else seen any ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Tbh i ve only seen clio's with this problem. Not seen any other cars with the cracked dull effect on the headlights, has anyone else seen any ?

Probably made by the same useless department that made the chocolate steering wheels.

You must have used it wrong then mate!!! This stuff is very good for lights. Wetsand with 800, 1000, 1200. Then use the plastx to restore the dullness. It works wonderes if you use it with the right pads. Lew :D

I was useing the plastx by hand and after rubbibg it in over 20 times hard like it said there was no change (my lights where realy bad mind you) but I think after useing it, its best to be used with a polisher, which I dont have :(

172 Cup
They look 100 times better, good work.
Mine have exactly the same problem, need to find someone with a machine polisher to help me out.

The chocolate steering wheel comment amused me :)

LY R26
looks much better, mine did this also started to steam up in winter so i forked out for new ones in the end.

Range Rover sport
Really worth the 15 minutes it took me on lunch break tbh :D glad i was bothered to do it lol.

Next on the list new steering wheel.
Not sure what to get thought can anyone help me out with suggestions

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
Looks loads better. I hate how that happens to the headlights.

I wetsanded mine and then applied some plastx. It looks better, but if you look close up you can still see a bit of the corrosion and where I sanded it. I really need someone to machine polish it.

Nice job Naith. Quite a few detailers offer this as a service. JMS Tuning and myself. You should offer it out to people in your area chap :)

Range Rover sport
Nice job Naith. Quite a few detailers offer this as a service. JMS Tuning and myself. You should offer it out to people in your area chap :)

Few of the lads at work said would be a good idea to do it but tbh i hate polishing lol. Don't get me wrong id jump at the chance to earn an extra few quid here and there but i paint in work , for friends and for people on CS :D busy man i am ...