ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Results of this weeks Autocar 182 Test

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 16 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by sn00p on 16 March 2004 Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 16 March 2004 if you are right, then the 172 cup they had on test would also be special which would make it even though?
[/QUOTE]

Thats what I said, autocar said that their Mk.1 172 "was a freak" (or words to that effect), which kind of leads me to believe that renault are supplying tweaked cars to magazines for review, Im not doubting the fact that the 182 is faster than the 172, if it isnt then theyve done something wrong, all Im saying is that 6.3 seconds sounds far too quick, and until we see real figures from cars here Id be inclined to say that something fishy is going on. (Esp with the their 182 being so close in performance to the V6).

On the other hand if tests here prove it to be true then renault have well and truly grabbed back the king of hot hatches crown and deserve a big pat on the back.

I will however reserve judgement until I see the figures from non-renault supplied test cars ;)
The mk1 was sh*t slow!! it posted an 8.2 (to 60mph) sec test time then the SAME CAR posted a 6.6sec 0-60 at the 0-100-0 test later on that year. (i was there)Man you have no idea what you are talking about.What do you expect them to do to it anyway? fabricate a new exhaust? fit nos? NO! there is no way they could tweak it.That car supplied but the company that runs the press cars for the office had done 200miles when supplied to evo and has been with autocar and them ever since.[/QUOTE]

"there is no way they could tweak it."
Please, enlighten me with your years of experience in engine management software. ;)

I only read that in autocar the other week (Pretty much 100% sure it was autocar) it was in the back of the magazine where they give the vital statistics on cars.

Either renaults figures are wildly out or autocars figures are wildly out, they dont add up.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by sn00p on 16 March 2004
"there is no way they could tweak it."
Please, enlighten me with your years of experience in engine management software. ;)

I only read that in autocar the other week (Pretty much 100% sure it was autocar) it was in the back of the magazine where they give the vital statistics on cars.

Either renaults figures are wildly out or autocars figures are wildly out, they dont add up.

Ok i work for a company called tumarc check our website http://www.tumarc.comwww.tumarc.com along with other things we build and supply OBD scan tools and PCM readers/writers for mapping of oem products.

There is no way you could make the 182 significantly faster using a remap without making it noticeable. (fuel consumption would be reduced along with other things)

i have worked for years in car industry and in the field of automotive research.

That good enough?

PS buy this weeks autocar there is a section on the mk1 172 in the back.

2012 WRX Waggon

mmmm 6.3 - looks like the 144 quid a corner tyres work then!

stick contis on it, and ull be languishing in the 7s with the rest of us;)

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Evo 7.1

Car 7.1

Auto Express 7.1

Autocar 6.3 !!!

So what is right here ? Interesting that the same Autocar has a feature on the 172 claiming 0-60 as 8.2 in its landmark test.

So they are saying the 182 is a s quick in a sprint to 60 as the Focus Rs and R32 Golf and almost quicker by 2 seconds than the 172 :confused:

320d M Sport

hmm?!

i dont see what the big kick off is for?! Mag figures are a guideline, until we get people 1/4 miling their 182 on a regular basis we wont know for sure.

Same thing happened when the Cup was first released.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 17 March 2004

Evo 7.1

Renault stock figure car not tested

(car was tested later at 6.5)

Car 7.1

Again not tested

Auto Express 7.1

Again car not tested

Autocar 6.3 !!!

Road test result, same car as evo previously tested at 6.5 but with more miles on it.

Before anyone starts please remember the difference between tested and driven.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yes. but i have explained that as have autocar.

The car wasnt run it at all but despite this result they ran it as a long termer, a few months later the same car posted a 6.6 to 60 time at the 0-100-0 event later that year. (2000)

The LHD car they tested in france managed a 6.6 to 60 time as they mention.

everyone stop getting all jelous !! This car is newer and has had things developed on it !! They are not gonna make a car with more power that isnt faster, that wouldnt make sense !! Hot hatches are getting faster and faster and the clio is keeping up with pace !! Why people cant believe this is beyond me !!

Im sure when toms has a few more miles on it he will gladly prove to you that it is more than adequate against a cup ( oh no sacrelige )

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 17 March 2004
everyone stop getting all jelous !! This car is newer and has had things developed on it !! They are not gonna make a car with more power that isnt faster, that wouldnt make sense !! Hot hatches are getting faster and faster and the clio is keeping up with pace !! Why people cant believe this is beyond me !! Im sure when toms has a few more miles on it he will gladly prove to you that it is more than adequate against a cup ( oh no sacrelige )

hehe... I think the wider issue here is that *when* the figures are proved correct then I suspect renault are going to have some pretty peeved V6 customers, the V6 may look stunning, but imo its not worth £12,000 more for 0.3 seconds extra performance (over 0-60, 0-60 autocar tested times) no matter how gorgeous it looks, maybe they should let the 182 boys have a tinker with the V6?

(prepares fireproof suit)

Quote: Originally posted by Chins on 16 March 2004

Brief summary

For those that like their figures first (Car had 1700 miles on it)

0-60 in 6.3

0-100 in 17.0 (0.1 slower than a Cup according to Autocar ie sod all)

30-70 in 5.8

30 2.6
40 3.7
50 5.0
60 6.3
70 8.4
80 10.6
90 13.6
100 17.0
110 22.0

un biased view would say that they put the car out of the power band to get a good 0-60 time and forget about the 0-100. 62mph will be the top speed at the limiter in 2nd. peak power I am assuming will be past by then. 0-100 would come down at the expense of a slower 0-60 time. similer thing with the LCR. to accelerate the quickest you need 3rd to get to 60mph. you can do it in 2nd but this would slow the car down for a 0-100mph test

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 17 March 2004

The claimed figures of 7.1 secs are to 100km/h or 62.5 mph.
Which is the common thing in France...

However do Renault, like Peugeot, test the car with a partial payload, or is it driver only?!

Just read the article and those in gear figures are fractionally quicker than the cup as well as the 0-60 time. I compared them to the figures in EVO.

Orange 182

Well at the moment I dont care how fooking fast it is! I just found out mine has been delayed by another week... its going to be April the 5th now :mad:

STOP EATING CROISSANTS AND FINISH MY BLOODY CAR YOU FRENCH BAR-STEWARDS!!

VaVa

Hehe 6.3... thats f**kin ace.... Im gonna get one, sod the expense!!

If they managed to do 6.3 with the traction control on, they know something I dont.... I dont think I could get below 10 in my 172 with the TC on!! LOL!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Did you lot actually know that the 182 that Autocar used for these tests is the SAME one that Evo used...

How is it faster?!

Simple, Evo got it from new, had a thrash, did some times, handed it back and then Autocar got it with about 1700 miles (hard ones) on the clock and ran their tests, so it was pre run-in for them.

Cars get faster with more miles on, thats a fact!

Surely the big factor in these tests is how quickly you get off the line? Do they take the average of several runs or the best?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

They do a few runs and pick the best.

they also do it with esp off.

A 205Mi16 is capable of 6.3seconds 0-60 with a similar power to weight so its just down to a good launch.

If many people think that they have too much power with FWD @ 180bhp to get less than 7seconds 0-60 due to wheelspin then maybe many people dont have the right technique!!

Also, dont forget they spend hours testing the car to get the best figure.

Autocar do tend to be able to do better 0-60 times than any other mag!!!

I wonder if thier timing gear needs calibrating!! LOL

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Nah i think renault paid us army to realign the gps satelites so autocars vbox would read quicker

Quote: Originally posted by chowy on 19 March 2004

Autocar do tend to be able to do better 0-60 times than any other mag!!!

I wonder if thier timing gear needs calibrating!! LOL
Agreed! Didnt autocar get a 15.5 or something for the CTR to the ton. This would mean that it would easily see off a cup! LOL!

one thing everyone has forgoten when talking of the speed times and saying its the new hatch king cos of it is the round thing that you turn, and if you dont enjoy the way it turns then no matter how fast it is i dont want it.

ie, power aint everything chaps, its nice but id rather dance on the limit of a crest anyday or catch a 60mph slide off a roundabout anyday too. the feeling of a sweet handling car in the zone is the king. think about it the next time your tunes are whacked up and your really on the pace and everthing is flowing sweet on your favourite road in the sun.

(and then i beep so you can get the hell outa the way!) ha ha

dk

911 GTS Cab

i am extremely impressed by the handling of my car so far, it definitely goes where i point it! (and I thought my 106gti was good!

R

rich[182]

just checked the same mags review when they compared the 172 non cup with a CTR, some of the in gear times in 3rd and 4th of the 182 are over a second quicker than the 172, most are approx 1 sec

Bearing in mind that every mag posts a differnt time depenat on car/driver and every other other variable I think we will just have to rely on the manufactures quoted times!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 19 March 2004

i am extremely impressed by the handling of my car so far, it definitely goes where i point it! (and I thought my 106gti was good!
Never knew youd had a 106 GTi as well Dave, so did I, and so did the guy that took you out for a spin in his Cup at Elvington...

Great cars! :D

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 20 March 2004

Bearing in mind that every mag posts a differnt time depenat on car/driver and every other other variable I think we will just have to rely on the manufactures quoted times!

Why is that, because the Cup has better stats from the manufacturer than the 182 perhaps ???