ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricardo's Pearl White 220 Trophy

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
_20180502_192653.JPG
_20180502_192913.JPG
IMG_20180502_180612_537.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Looks great, but the photos are having their quality sapped?
I think it's the clock tower photo that's poor, apologies for that. I'll upload another to if that one's any good.

With a new car it would be nice to try and keep on top of cleaning. I'm no detailer but appreciate a clean car, it's a bit hard not having a driveway to myself so I have to use my sisters facilities the other side of town.

Through recommendation I've ordered these products for the wheels, I aim to have them and the car waxed and sealed as soon as possible but for in between I can use the products which should make for an easy wash.
_20180502_225237.JPG
DSC_4694~2-01.jpeg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
8th May

Spoke to Paul at RS Tuning and managed to book the 220 in for a session on the rollers, I also managed to have @RMDavis booked in on the same day. We met up en route at Toddington services on the M1 at 9am then headed up north to Leeds.

This would make for good comparisons between the 2 as we're stock bar different induction setups. Rob has the ITG induction, I had this setup on my old 200 but decided to stay low key and more OE so I had a K&N panel filter fitted (which took less than a minute to swap over)

Pre work, mine ran 2hp more than Robs. When we overlayed the 2 graphs for comparison afterwards it showed that the ITG pulled 6hp more low down and midrange then levelled off. A different day, different ambient temps and no doubt it would show a different graph. I dare say I wouldn't notice the difference but made for good reading on the graphs and more data to show what different setups achieve.

Post session we achieved figures of 251hp and 260ft/lbs, this showed a figure of 10 more than the 200 EDC with the Airtec setup so it shows the difference with the bigger cold side of the 220 turbocharger and induction inlet.

DSC_4708~2.JPG
DSC_4709~2.JPG
DSC_4710~2.JPG
DSC_4709~3.JPG

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
As you can see the front end was covered in flies so a wash was in order, with that it also gave me an opportunity to try out the wheel cleaning products. I'm trying to keep on top of cleaning duties, it's open to the elements daily. Ideally it needs a wash, wax and sealant.
DSC_4715~2.JPG
DSC_4724~2.JPG
DSC_4725~2.JPG
DSC_4726~2.JPG

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Was a great day for sure mate, with two very happy blokes driving back down south at the end of it! ?

A bloody long drive, but well worth it. Good to catch up with you again. Hope to see you at CSF Rich!

I'm sure Rich will agree, but I'm blown away by how the Clio now drives it's like a totally different car! Can't wait to get the 'yellow peril' out on track.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Awesome stuff rich. Cool to see you and Rob making a day of it. Both cool dudes.

Love that 2md from last pic too. Do you rate that wheel cleaner?

What helps is that the wheel is brand new and in mint condition already so there's not much build up to clean off. It did work on the minor build up of brake dust but as I've only ever used this I can't compare it to the likes of Iron X. I do get the feeling it's not as aggressive but what it does say it for heavily baked brake dust is to use undiluted and the leave on for a few minutes then hose off.

My next job is to get the Clio on axle stands so I can clean all 4 wheels and wax then use a product called 303 aerospace protectant on the plastic arch liners.

It was a good day we had a decent chat about loads of things.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Was a great day for sure mate, with two very happy blokes driving back down south at the end of it! ?

A bloody long drive, but well worth it. Good to catch up with you again. Hope to see you at CSF Rich!

I'm sure Rich will agree, but I'm blown away by how the Clio now drives it's like a totally different car! Can't wait to get the 'yellow peril' out on track.

I should be there mate! Always a pleasure meeting up with you.

It certainly is! It brings the Clio alive, the torque makes the difference! RS Tuning never disappoint.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Bird s**t! I hate it, the sad thing is I don't have a unit or garage so as mentioned it's open to the elements which brings the birds. They decided to drop a couple of bombs on the pearl so I thought it was a good excuse to jetwash and QD it. On a side note I've been speaking to a person who makes decals and he's made exact copies of the RS logos on the wheels just in case anyone needs to refurb theirs. Classic Renault it turns out you can't buy the decals on their own.... You have to buy the wheel... At £370 each.
_20180516_185916.JPG
_20180516_213806.JPG
DSC_4760~2.JPG
DSC_4757~2.JPG
_20180516_214045.JPG
DSC_4766~2.JPG
DSC_4764~2.JPG
DSC_4768~2.JPG

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Another thing they should be left the factory with. The mounting brackets cut those look a bit more complicated than the 1*2 ones. Did Renault devise some strange way of mounting the calipers?

RenaultSport did as they used the Brembo 4 pot calipers on the Clio Cup race cars, at some point in time they changed to PFC 4 pot calipers using a 2 piece disc setup.

Who knows if we share the same hub setup but I imagine what will be different is the disc offset between the OE Brembo disc and the Brembo and PFC 2 piece. I spoke to PFC last year to see dig out more info on their calipers and discs, they categorically denied that the PFC setup would work on a road car. Again if the hub is the same then I imagine it would..... If you bought the complete setup each side. I then went through the PDF file with the part numbers and prices and it looked like the calipers alone were around £700 each, add in a pair, then the 2 piece rotors, brackets, all bought from R Sport who sell all the RenaultSport Cup race parts and you're probably getting into 2k.

Thankfully Pure Motorsport have designed and made their own bracket system to work with the original Brembo disc which I've bought. My guess is Renault didn't want to get involved in the kit system on a road car, they probably felt that the calipers on the Clio (which happen to be Laguna calipers) were good enough on a std Clio.

Brembo Cup Race setup
_20180605_231548.JPG

PFC Cup Race setup
_20180605_231501.JPG

Last edited:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah £2k is a bit excessive! What's the difference between the newer Meg 3 brembo and the ones you have? They are bigger right? But will they fit and are the mounting points the same? I'm surprised pure didn't fit them if it's possible.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Yeah £2k is a bit excessive! What's the difference between the newer Meg 3 brembo and the ones you have? They are bigger right? But will they fit and are the mounting points the same? I'm surprised pure didn't fit them if it's possible.

The Meg 250 calipers are indeed bigger, I've been told they're the same bolt locations but can't answer as to why they didn't go ahead and use them. I think the Meg 250 discs are 340mm where the Clios are 320mm. The disc offset is different as well on the Megane but it's something that could probably be worked out when making the brackets.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The next step as mentioned is the 4 pot conversion.

Parts ordered:
Dust seal kit for the calipers
Mr Pink pins
OE Megane R26 brake pads
Donated anti rattle pad clips
2nd hand Eibach spacers and wheel bolts
Motul 600 brake fluid
PMS 4 pot caliper bracket kit
PMS brake hoses
PMS 10mm stub axle spacers
_20180609_170018.JPG

Thankfully a fellow Mk4 owner put me in touch with a chap called Chris who does all the mechanical work on his car. We arranged the date for the kit to be fitted so Sunday 10th June was penned on the calendar. Now, 2 things, once the car is on its spacers it now put me in another dilemma. It would fill the arch but there wouldn't be a drop to suit, my last 200 was lowered on Cooksport springs which made a world of difference to the ride height and handling. The 220 Trophy is different in that it's already lower than the 200 but I was concerned it wouldn't be enough, do I go for the Cooksports again but then hearing that it wouldn't make much of a difference between the 2 springs, hmm what to do? Then last week browsing FB the same chap I bought the Brembo calipers from has now decided to sell his Clio but take off all the aftermarket parts to trade it back in.... Oh OK, so that means the aftermarket suspension is up for grabs too?! A text later and I've gone all in on these, if I'm gonna do it I might as well do it properly then I can have the mechanic fit them at the same time as the Brembos.
DSC_4871~2.JPG

Sunday comes round and I make the drive down to Ashford for all the parts fitted. I've never met Chris before but again was recommended, I have to say I'm most impressed with his workmanship. If anyone remembers Matt Randle from Code Red Motorsport then we're talking the same standard of work, meticulous, check and double check marking every bolt after they're torqued and then some, we're talking Master Tech level.
DSC_4876~3.JPG
DSC_4880~2.JPG
DSC_4881~2.JPG
_20180610_141925.JPG
DSC_4881~3.JPG

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Be interesting to hear feedback on how they feel on the road, I’ve been toying with the idea of getting some 250 callipers for a while now and seeing how difficult it would be to get them on.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Thanks chaps, I'm booked in at Brands Hatch this Wednesday on the evening session so they'll be both tested fully that's for sure!

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Have a nice time at Brands Richard, I would enjoy an evening watching you go round, I’ve been using Glisten on my car just to keep the dust off. ?

Love the Brembo’s, can’t fathom why Renault didn’t put them on as standard, especially in the more focused Trophy version!

Car is looking fantastic.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Brands Hatch Indy circuit Wednesday 13th June

Booked a week before and pre Brembo and H&R fitment, my plan was to give the parts a shakedown so Brands seemed the perfect place as its less than an hour away for me. I'll do the update in parts sections as well as general text in between.

Arrived just after 3pm, i wanted to get over the Dartford bridge before rush hour. Signing on was from 3.30pm with the briefing at 5pm. Opentrack were hosting the evening session and have to say the briefing was to the point but informal, all points covered nicely I think he knows the large majority in the room have done a few trackdays before so it wasn't tedious like the Blyton Park briefings I've endured!

Noise tested too pre briefing, with the Akrapovic it came in at a paltry 78 decibels so no danger of ever being ruled out for tracks on strict trackdays around the UK, done.

Tracktime starts at 5,30pm so we all head over from the outside of track to the paddock area to commandeer a garage. There was a bike trackday on the GP circuit beforehand so we have to weave our way through till we eventually found an empty garage, number 21. My mate Rob in his Audi S4 Avant took the front and I parked up behind, emptied what little accessories were in the boot then I was ready to go for sighting laps. One job to do was to cheque the wheel bolts were ok so I set the torque wrench to 110nM and clicked away... I'm ready to go!

I'd mentioned to a few friends I was attending so it was nice to see Dave Clarke who races a Renault 5GT Turbo in the Tricolore Trophy turn up with son Jack then a little later on Dave Reed, right, onto the sighting laps just to familiarise myself with track conditions and the car settings. This is my first time out on Michelin Supersports so I'm keen to see how they fair up, quite a few people recommend them as the go to for an excellent all round premium tyre. It's obviously my first time out on the Brembos and H&R coilovers so again keen to make comparisons between the OE Trophy equipment... AND ... The old Liquid Yellow 200 I had before.

First session:
On every track i go to I use this just to reacquaint myself with the layout, condition, and on this occasion become familiar with how this 220 feels. I can't even compare it to the OE setup as I've gone straight to 4 pots and coilovers. First noticeable difference is torque (260ft/lbs) stabbing the pedal time to time it has nice early pickup on the throttle. Great for short bursts in between corners, again I'm not opening up yet and going full throttle as I'm building myself up slowly, like I say it's just a sighter session and to say yeah I'm back on track.

Second session:
Start to open up a little to get some heat in the tyres and warm those pads up a bit, the Indy circuit isn't a heavy breaker. I would say the end of Brabham Straight (start-finish line) into Paddock is where they're used the most, highest speed before braking flat out was 112mph. It's slightly unsighted turning in then back on the throttle up to Druids into 3rd gear, I don't go any lower than 3rd. So far so good, the brakes feel positive and progressive. They're not like the DS1.11 pads where they have massive bite straight away, you can lean on them and they'll work with no fade. Lean on them a bit more and they'll still work, bare in mind they're only std R26 pads they're doing quite a good job. Again this is only the Indy circuit so they're not going to be pushed massively but again this is also a shakedown to me just to make sure the new setup all works.... So far so good.
By this time Dave and Jack have bought PAX lap bands so i take Jack out first, however before the next outing tyre pressures were talked about. When the tyres get heat in them it's known for pressures to raise anything up to around 6psi above normal pressure. Dave asked if I drop the pressures, I don't as I haven't the facilities to check the pressures all round and to adjust between sessions and pump back up at the end of the day. It would make the difference by dropping them slightly, luckily Rob in the S4 has a pressure gauge so with that in mind I head out with Jack to put in a few more laps. The Clio still feels good, when we stop back in the pits Dave takes the caps off the valves to check the hot tyre pressures, sure enough they've increased by about 3psi. The right rear is up by 1psi, this is the tyre seeing the least work as Brands is predominantly clockwise with the only left 'corner' at the end of Cooper Straight into Mclaren. To be fair its a nice little left hander, if you keep right nice and late then turn in you're hitting that corner at speed then dropping to 3rd at Mclaren, staying left hitting the apex and back on the start/finish line. With that in mind using Robs gauge we drop the pressures to 36 hot. I give the car a chance to cool then I'll take Dave out as passenger.

It definitely makes the difference adjusting the pressures, I also stay out a lot longer than usual. A mixture of brakes working well, tyres not out of their efficiency and me enjoying the session it gives me more of a chance to enjoy the Clio. I'm now using RACE MODE with paddles only, this turns the Traction Control off and gives me all the useable power, let's me power out of corners without the TC cutting in and killing the power and momentum. Now I'm getting pops from the Akrapovic in upshifts and cool blips changing down. Back in again, tyre pressures checked and dropped a little more, from there we pretty much leave them as they are but it does show its worth doing.

From then on I do a few more sessions up until the 8pm chequered flag, first time out its been a success. I've really enjoyed the time out and for me it's shown the capability of the car and where I could improve it.

Intercooler:
The OE intercooler does need changing, if it wasn't for the low 17 degree ambient temp at the end of the day it would have seen higher than the 40 degree temps I did see. It is to be expected pushing 250hp so my next step is to order the Pro Alloy FMIC set up from Paul at RS Tuning.

Brakes:
Perfect on Brands, a great progressive feel to them. The Meg R26 OE pads did well, there was no judder from the brakes like I had with the 200 so I feel the moixture of caliper and Motul 600 fluid are doing they're job. I am tempted to go Ferodo DS1.11 or PBS pads but I'd like to try a more demanding track on the current setup first before spending nearly £200 on pads.

Suspension:
The H&R coilovers were a nice balance, they feel pretty much the same as the OE dampers but on track they were firm enough in the corners. It didn't wallow out and bounce on heavy braking, neither did the back end step out and go loose. What the coilovers give me is an adjustable ride height, but not compromising the performance of what is a great car. They still handle well with an option to change spring rates if I want to go to the trouble of doing so.

It was a great evening, with a couple of tweeks I'd like to take on either another UK track and/or head over to the Nurburgring.
DSC_4899~2-01.jpeg
DSC_4906~2-01.jpeg
DSC_4902~2-01.jpeg
DSC_4908~2-01.jpeg
DSC_4899~3-01.jpeg
DSC_4910~2-01.jpeg
DSC_4901~2-01.jpeg
IMG-20180614-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20180614-WA0004.jpg

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Great write up mate, and glad your happy with how the car is after your latest additions.

The Trophy looks awesome in those photos!

When's your next track outing? You planning on attending CSF?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Great write up mate, and glad your happy with how the car is after your latest additions.

The Trophy looks awesome in those photos!

When's your next track outing? You planning on attending CSF?

Thanks mate! Well I've booked the Clio in with Chris down in Ashford for intercooler fitting the second weekend of July so that's dictated where my money's going! Was hoping to do a other evening session maybe the end of July but I'll see as if CSS18 is in August I may as well wait for that. I need to recoup some of the Clio outlay too, none of the modifications are cheap! Every single upgrade is nothing less than £500 so it's been an expensive (but well worth the money) 6 weeks!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate! Well I've booked the Clio in with Chris down in Ashford for intercooler fitting the second weekend of July so that's dictated where my money's going! Was hoping to do a other evening session maybe the end of July but I'll see as if CSS18 is in August I may as well wait for that. I need to recoup some of the Clio outlay too, none of the modifications are cheap! Every single upgrade is nothing less than £500 so it's been an expensive (but well worth the money) 6 weeks!
Tell me about it mate! [emoji23]

Thought I'd buy a new car and save money...

Once I've finished with mine, it certainly won't be going back to Renault after three years!

Would be great if you did make it to CSF, be a good chance for a catch up. If not another meet up on or off the track will be needed. [emoji1303]

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Tell me about it mate! [emoji23]

Thought I'd buy a new car and save money...

Once I've finished with mine, it certainly won't be going back to Renault after three years!

Would be great if you did make it to CSF, be a good chance for a catch up. If not another meet up on or off the track will be needed. [emoji1303]

Thought I was buying an already decent car that didn't need changing! Oh well, what's been done to be fair hasn't changed the looks just enhanced their own areas. Once the intercooler is done then everything that's been compromised due to the mapping has been covered, then in theory it's just using it and changing items for wear and tear purposes.

CSS18 is definitely on the radar, I just think the price is a bit steep for Blyton. Plus that briefing is the most tedious I've ever attended, I need to find my doppelganger!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Tyre pressure gauge arrived, £10.95. Just need to sort a pump out then I can find optimum tyre pressures when out on trackdays.
DSC_4907~3.JPG

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Looks like you’re taking all the right steps to move this car forward!

What a great read that track update was.

Thanks for posting
It's getting there! To be fair I did say to myself I wouldn't change a thing but the petrol head who enjoys trackdays in me knew it would. I really wanted the 4 pot calipers when I had the Liquid Yellow 200 so I saved up and bought them.

Appreciate you taking the time to read the update, I'm not profilic on the boards and didn't do a project thread on the LY as I didn't think anyone would be interested. I started this thread as it's a new car for me and wanted a document of my journey with it, I did a lot of things to the 200 and went to a lot of places in it so I'm hoping I'll do the same in this... I've only owned the Clio 7 weeks but already a story is forming.

Well I shall keep an eye on it as it’s got the potential to a great thread.

Attention to detail on a car like this is fantastic, the geezer that did the torquing of the bolts and put the lines across is the type of thing I love to see!

I’ll be back to see the future stuff ???