ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricks RB182 Project thread - saved from death

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_0078.JPG

I then snowfoamed the entire car including below and let it dwell

IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

Behind fuel cap a bit cleaner after snow foaming and brushing. Both arches were cleaned with the brush pressure washer attachment,

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

I then washed, detarred, deironed with bilt hamber korrosol

IMG_0085.JPG

l got the car inside and removed the fuel flap removed any loose rust and treated with loctite rust remedy. I will treat the back with black stonechip this week.

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

I got it all back together and then applied some Auto Finesse Tough Coat and topped off with some chemical guys speed wipe.

IMG_0088.JPG

Car will be getting some paint work soon so the fuel flap area will be sorted.

Hopefully get my splitter on this week and my seatbelts cleaned as they are filthy! The car is provisionally booked for PDR this week to remove a number of dents.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
A bit of an update.

After washing below the car and rust inhibiting the rear of the fuel cap area, I then undersealed here and the whole rear of the car.

This is only after two days of driving since undersealing it and look at the dirt build up! I used new nut and bolts to secure the flap and put caps on the nuts to try an avoid bolt corrosion.

IMG_0126.JPG

I also fitted my skoda fabia splitter

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0100.jpeg

During last week I got my local PDR man to remove all car park dents on both sides and have a go at the bonnet and boot dents, this is the result

IMG_0125.JPG

The bonnet is not perfect and neither is the boot but both are visibly much better, however will require paint to fix correctly.

IMG_0123.JPG

We removed the head from the cars original engine to reveal this. All valves were present and two visibly bent but removed for this photo.

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

Full discussion on this thread https://www.cliosport.net/threads/engine-failure-thoughts.822212/#post-11672625

I removed the rubber from my pedals and they are actually in better condition than I thought previously. The last owner must of wanted more grip on the pedals and chose to fit rubber over the top of them. It was actually genuine Renault rubber covers that were on it. I cleaned and polished the pedals which left them like this.

IMG_0129.JPG

I was off work today so @Tom_1990 and headed round the coast here in NI.

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

Last edited:

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of an update on the RB

I replaced the seal on the bottom of the inlet as the last time I removed the inlet, this seemed to be letting a little oil onto that area below the inlet.

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

The steering wheel in my car was in very bad condition. Melted and mouldy from sitting before I got the car.

I'm thinking I may get it recovered in alcantara. Not sure yet.

I got the hold of @Tom_1990 old steering wheel and removed the thumb grips

IMG_0151.JPG

Replaced them with new ones

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

Can't seem to find photos of this fitted to the car. Next time there is daylight I will take a photo and add it.

I recently got a spare saturday afternoon and decided to wash, detar, de-iron and clay the car followed by a quick polish using my Das 6 pro with a chemical guys hexlogic white pad and meguiars ultimate compound. This removed a lot of swirling, Still by no means perfect but freshened the paint nicely, I finished off with a coat of Fusso coat light.

IMG_0158.JPG

Changed my phone to an iPhone X, so the images are better from here on.

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0009 (1).jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

Another thing I have no photo of is my exhaust. I had posted that the olive joint was broken and blowing at the rear of the cat. I took it to an exhaust guy were we removed the centre pipe, cut the old olive joint off and reflared the pipe just behind the old olive joint and refitted. Given that the system is an unbranded one, it was no surprise to find the rear of the centre silencer weld cracked, so we welded that. There was some blowing at the seam at the rear of the centre box. This was rectified by copious amounts of exhaust sealant.

The car is due mot soon so I have to sort my handbrake and passenger side xenon adjuster. I bought an e39 adjuster rod with the hope of repairing mine.

Last edited:

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
A little update -

When I got the car I ordered a lot of stuff from my local Renault dealer. One item I ordered was a new number plate light. It was listed as no stock and no delivery date but not NLA. Last week it finally arrived to my surprise.

IMG_0071.jpeg

Old light

IMG_0072.jpeg

New light fitted

IMG_0073.jpeg

I removed my engine cover a few weeks ago, so decided to refit it again, but first I thought I would give it a clean

IMG_0074.jpeg

Fitted it

IMG_0075.jpeg

On my previous update, I didn't post a picture of the new steering wheel fitted, so I took a photo of it

IMG_0076.jpeg

And she turned 120k today!

IMG_0085.jpeg

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Right guys,

Been a day or two since I posted.

In the last few months the car hasn’t done much but about 3 months ago I found myself whipping the rear door cards off to find some rust. So I treated that. It was mostly surface with the actual sills still solid.

94455c7cf92c3cbfd424f35838198fab.jpg

5656c6ac4baca6744b5b97610ca0b3ac.jpg

Problem was blocked drains. I cleared them, sanded the loose corrosion and treated it to some bilt hamber hydrate 80 and a some grey underseal. I can’t find the photos of this but it looks much better now.

Today I got the car back into the the garage to start some work that’s been long overdue. We removed the side skirts and I was curious to see what the condition was like behind.

Here are the results

2c30ac45ad2c4db2b3894f632c598245.jpg

36fde618c66b3e63271eb5dac65a2392.jpg

b97304eaf71861d90bc13f9fb3c7742f.jpg

It needs washed as some of this is dirt but you can see there is some blistering starting in the paint. I burst some of them and there is clean non rusted metal behind. Both sills seem to be solid enough. Next step is to remove those blisters and treat to some hydrate 80 before the car goes to paint.

The car had needed a fire ring at the cat for some time as it was blowing slightly. I ordered the kit from Renault about 12 weeks ago and today it was finally fitted

4f3152202f74f956fed95fcfa49fa9cc.jpg

I will be back with more updates as this progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Great project, I've been doing similar rust treatment around the sills and filler area with my flame red. Be careful with rust tracking under the underseal behind the filler, mine looked superficial until I stripped the the underseal back to find it went further than I initially thought. I deox gel and electroxed mine followed by dynax ub.

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
Great project, nice to see these being kept and especially over here! Some nice pics near the north coast!
Keep up the hard work!

clio sport 182
Oh my gosh, I literally can't believe it. This is my old car 😯 I'm so glad to see her still alive. I want to thank you for rescuing her. I was chatting to some friends and saying how much I missed driving it. Then jokingly said wouldn't it be funny if I found it online 🤣 and here she is. The 3 owners would have been my ex husband, me and then the person I sold it to (John).
She had sat on my driveway (in a wooded area) for 18 months before I decided to sell her. Only starting her very occasionally to keep her ticking over and going up and down the drive...we have a long driveway.
The dent in the bonnet you could thank my ex husband for, picked him up from the pub one night and he thought it'd be funny to sit on the dam car 🤬
climate control only blew hot while i had it, the Renault garage in knodishall wanted £800+ to fix a broken flap or something they said......was obviously not right as you done it.
The rear wiper arm was kindly broken my my old neighbours, always hated the fact it never sat straight after and they managed to brake a small piece of the plastic off.
It had to have a re spray on the passenger side and roof as a pole from a gazebo ended up damaging the paintwork in strong winds. Came out to find the pole, still attached to the gazebo on the roof of the car (old neighbour had an mx5 soft top which was leaking and put a gazebo over the car)
Glad to see the headlights sorted also, I had brought some turtle wax headlight stuff to sort the plastic and had never got round to doing it before I sold the car. I also brought a skoda trim as well....which i never got round to fitting 😞
The rear passenger side shock used to go alot and had to be replaced almost yearly while I owned the car.
We got it ex demo (11 months old) and owned it until about 5 years ago. Can't believe it still had the halfords battery in there I got just to get it to the garage for the MOT. You've done such a fantastic job. Sorry for my reminiscing. Hope she's a beaut for you. Have fun xxx

clio sport 182

Just found a post I done 8 years ago 😯 xxx

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Oh my gosh, I literally can't believe it. This is my old car [emoji54] I'm so glad to see her still alive. I want to thank you for rescuing her. I was chatting to some friends and saying how much I missed driving it. Then jokingly said wouldn't it be funny if I found it online [emoji1787] and here she is. The 3 owners would have been my ex husband, me and then the person I sold it to (John).
She had sat on my driveway (in a wooded area) for 18 months before I decided to sell her. Only starting her very occasionally to keep her ticking over and going up and down the drive...we have a long driveway.
The dent in the bonnet you could thank my ex husband for, picked him up from the pub one night and he thought it'd be funny to sit on the dam car [emoji2959]
climate control only blew hot while i had it, the Renault garage in knodishall wanted £800+ to fix a broken flap or something they said......was obviously not right as you done it.
The rear wiper arm was kindly broken my my old neighbours, always hated the fact it never sat straight after and they managed to brake a small piece of the plastic off.
It had to have a re spray on the passenger side and roof as a pole from a gazebo ended up damaging the paintwork in strong winds. Came out to find the pole, still attached to the gazebo on the roof of the car (old neighbour had an mx5 soft top which was leaking and put a gazebo over the car)
Glad to see the headlights sorted also, I had brought some turtle wax headlight stuff to sort the plastic and had never got round to doing it before I sold the car. I also brought a skoda trim as well....which i never got round to fitting [emoji20]
The rear passenger side shock used to go alot and had to be replaced almost yearly while I owned the car.
We got it ex demo (11 months old) and owned it until about 5 years ago. Can't believe it still had the halfords battery in there I got just to get it to the garage for the MOT. You've done such a fantastic job. Sorry for my reminiscing. Hope she's a beaut for you. Have fun xxx

This is class. Feel free to reminisce some more.

The respray seems to be on drivers side and roof?

I might head to the RS day at Silverstone this year. If I do, you should come and see it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk