ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Right, give me a good reason to buy a 182

Got £10,000 in cash + my 2001 Y reg VTS.

Im thinking about a Civic Type R but am also considering others including a 182.

Why should i buy one chaps?

Cost they fall appart and when they do you get a 1.2! Err on second thoughts thats not a plus point!

Sooo much fun to chuck around, excellent all round car!

had a Civic type - R for 2 years, brother has a new shape one that ive borrowed for a couple of weeks, i have a 182, go figure. about as fast in everyday stuff but much, much better handling and steering feel, bit low rent inside but then again so is the civic (i.e. the fake chrome plastic ring around the gear stick gator for starters). ultimately though the only way youll know is by taking them both out for extended test drives. only then will YOU know

[Edited by maffyoo on 05 August 2004 at 9:57pm]

You cant have yellow.
The yellow ones are only for exceptional drivers.

Is it not for exceptionally bad drivers....like a warning to everyone else???

J/K;)

Mondeo STTDCI

Fastest you can go for the money. Plus if you take your 10k, add your VTS, it gives you around £14,500. (prices from Parkers for used VTS average mileage).

Now MOST dealers will let a 182 got with Cup options for £13,500. Thats either a grand for instant mods or for insurance.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I had a VTS before my 182.There is a massive difference in build quality.The 182 is far superior to what you have now as far as build goes.

Imagine your VTS on steroids with every gizzmo you ever wanted....the little bubble thats appearing over your head has a picture of a 182 in it !

Speaking from experience you will fall in love.Just look at the standard equipment list and the performance figures....stop pissing about and go and place an order !

Clio every time, but personally Id get a newsish 172 for £8k or so and spend a few hundred on coilovers etc and engine mods if you want and there you have it a 182 for less and depreciation will be less than a new 182 will be.

Depcrediation is a killer a 182 in 3 yrs will be worth what £7k (guess work ) so thats £3.5k down the tube

A 5 yr old 172 will be woth about £5.5k at worse Id guess so thats £2.5k £1k is a lot of cash plus you can stick the spare cash in the bank and earn interest rather than pay interets.

If your worried about spending the saved cash stick it in a seperate account with high interest.

needs a certain ammount of guts to take the plunge. im finding the 172 too small and clostrophobic but i really think its a cool car.. problem is most cars you can relax and cruise the 172/182 you cant help but absolutly punish the little fekker all the time.

also.. sh*t day at work is made better by the fact that you can climb into one of thses at the end of the day and take it out on the car.

130i, 306 hdi, vrs

looks like a wheel barow with them exhausts hanging out the bumper .lol still wouldnt mind having one though !

Mondeo STTDCI

Its a mixed bag really. I go by the fact that on the CTR front...I see LOADS about. I have seen 4 182s in total EVER. Just to be clear...I like the rarer Clio. Everyday people (not in the "know") just see a nice looking Clio, then see the 2.0 badge and are like :eek:. Everyone knows what a CTR is!

[Edited by hip_spasm on 05 August 2004 at 10:50pm]

OOH i have a real good reason!

if u dont then u suck monkeys c***s. (ha now unless u wanna be known as a monkey c**k sucker u have to buy one!)

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 05 August 2004

Not convincing me lads!
What are the "others" you mentioned in your first post. Lets face it we know all the pros and cons to the 182 and CTR.

One is usually well built, bigger and is a little lacking in the steering feel dept.

One is not usually well built, smaller and very good in the steering feel dept.

id say find an s2000 for 12k and spend the other two grand on fuel for the next year :).. 20mpg. insurance group is 20 i think.

BTW has anyone mentioned that 40+ mpg is easily attainable ?? and group 16 insurance isnt too bad. also quite a safe car. and 5 seats (actually managed 5 peeps the other day, impossible to do in my dads C class mercedes it can only manage a poo 4 people.)

[Edited by cliotuRS on 05 August 2004 at 10:55pm]

BTW theres just something about the CTR i dont like.. its almost sterile like most perfectly engineered jap cars.

I really like the Leon Cupra R and the old cupra T also, like focus RS and Alfa 147 GTA but once again i just find the civic lacking in any excitment to the eye or the heart. dull... dull... dull i tell thee

imo

[Edited by cliotuRS on 05 August 2004 at 10:58pm]

Megane225FF

I went for a 172 over a civic, having owned a vts. my opinion was..

The reason i went for the clio was the all the toys you get with them as standard, seems to have more low down power (good for town driving), and you see far less 182s than civic trs, better mpg?

but then that civic engine once it gets going is great... looks a bigger car, focus size

VaVa

I was faced with a similar choice when I bought my 172. I test drove the CTR and was generally pretty impressed. Its better built, but the interior is by no means excellent. The handling of the CTR is actually quite good. Bags of grip and little body roll. My biggest gripe was the much fabled lack of feedback. No communication from the car telling you what is happening when you push it through corners. Which would be deadly on the roads near me!!

I personally prefer the looks of the Clio, but thats immaterial realyy as it is solely a personal thing.

If you want an OK handling car with an absolute screamer of an engine, which is well built and rapid in a straight line, get the CTR.

If you want an excellent handling car which is almost as fast in a straight line, reasonable (well compared to your Saxo at least) build and with MILES more standard equipment, then get the 182. Oh and youll save a few grand, too.....

I drove both...................... a CTR and a 182 but i have to say that the Clio 182 sold it for me cause for the little extras like HID lights and climate control............

oh yes and its great ability to corner.........;)

Yeah I test drove both,

I found the CTR to be more comfortable in general but it felt like the car was a standard road car that had the ability to go fast but was not really interested in doing so...

When I planted the accelerator there was not much there for a few secs and then all of a sudden WOOOOSH off it went... too much effort really.

I took the 182 out and it felt like I was driving a go kart.... I ragged it silly and right from the start it was well up for it.

When i finished the test drives there was no doubt in my mnd which car to get.

I would also point out that if you need us to convince you to get the 182 then you have cearly already made your mind up.... go get the CTR.. i would prefer to see some one driving another CTR and leave the 82s to those of us who dont need convincing.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Personally the little Clios are cracking fun. I love my Cup to bits and you can pick up either a Cup or a 172 as edde says for seriously good money. My Cup is probably worth £8k max which would leave you like £6k left. You could invest this towards a house or savings.

Theres alot of cars out there though so shop around. The CTR is really nice and well built of course and possibly easier to live with on a motorway run as the Clio seems to be a bit leggy and noisy.

As everyone has said go and check out a few cars though. Id definately want to test:

172/Cup, 182, CTR, Leon Cupra R, Integra Type R (new one and old one). Oh my there is so much you can buy for £14,000 ..... Look man all Ill say is dont buy the first thing that comes along, and look at magazines and books like Parkers.

A car may be cheap but think about running costs, servicing, fuel economy etc.

:)

Yaris Hybrid

Read the EVO group test with the 182, Type R, Cooper S, 206 180 and ST170.

Not saying pick the one they said was best but rather read it through, think about what you want from a car and pick the one that best fits your requirements.

Clio 200 Cup packed

the CTR is all about the engine and errrrrr...........

the 182 is about the handling, the engine, the toys and most importantly, the fun!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

homer - the handling on the civic is very good though. and the build quality that 6th motorway crusing gear... imho of course..