ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ripped right off......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Not a noob question at all dude I should have been more clear, I'm just trying to work out where you stand in terms of your money back, if it was advertised as a trade sale it may be more difficult for money back because dealer will claim sold as seen basically, and I'm guessing with how cheap it was then it is... Was there any warranty/mot
Etc provided when purchased?

Phone trading standards with regards where you stand...

All the best mate, Mark

Doesn't matter if it was a trade sale or not. That means nothing unless you are a trader or related business purchase - this guy is an average joe. It doesn't apply.

Sold as seen, trade sale, no warranty all means nothing to a normal punter. You are covered by law.

If you paid the £1500 on your credit card (please say yes) then you are covered under the terms of the credit and have even more protection. Any purchase over £100 and under £50k (I think is the ceiling) the credit company have Equal liability.

So what, you've spent £400 in parts, sell them. You're set to lose more than that in the long run and have been sold something not fit for purpose. Use google for ffs and take a script in there with you. The trader may/will/depends try all the tricks in the book - sounds like he already has.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Thanks guys for all the positive replys there is always 2 that got to be funny(i wont listen to any bodys advice=MACE) Guys 1 of the reason i thought of an engine change was iv spent a fair bit of money on the sald parts in 1 of my other post i think iv spent about just under £300 and all parts iv swapped are gone in the bin so i abit stuffed. If i give him the car bk im goin to lose all that money so im in catch 22 lol

Thanks for lookin

Lol, mace has a point though.

If the seller refuses to rectify your issues (must be on the proper terms under sales of goods act - follow them correctly) then no doubt you will be pursuing a liable case.
In which, you can claim damages. Parts may fall under that category.

I can't believe you are still debating keeping this car - it sounds like a shed. If you don't follow the advice on this thread, you and the car sound like you're made for each other.

White clique
sale of goods act - goods not as described and goods not fit for purpose. You have to reject the car in writing and go there armed with a letter stating why you are rejecting it and be prepared to leave it and the keys / logbook on the forecourt! He is entitled to offer you a repair or replacement though.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Morning guys....... Well when i go down there monday my plan is to get my £ bk.... And tell him he can keep the new parts iv put on but i got a funny feeling that he ll say the law says i got to give him the chance to fix it BUT do i really want them to touch it (NO). What should i do if he wont give me my £ bk and offers to fix it? Guys i never rushed into buying this car it was the 3rd id seen......

Thanks again for the replys

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Morning guys....... Well when i go down there monday my plan is to get my £ bk.... And tell him he can keep the new parts iv put on but i got a funny feeling that he ll say the law says i got to give him the chance to fix it BUT do i really want them to touch it (NO). What should i do if he wont give me my £ bk and offers to fix it? Guys i never rushed into buying this car it was the 3rd id seen......

Since I went through this in 2009 I didn't see this info from the cab.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm

According to them you don't have to accept a repair.

But... 2 minutes ago you were happy swapping an engine and concerned about parts values... Surely them fixing it would satisfy you?

If the repairs aren't upto quality, you can still reject it and get your money back anyway.

White clique
the dealer doesnt have to accept the car back from you now as it is not in the same condition as when he sold it (i.e you have done some repairs). He may want to counter argue that your repairs have no warranty - just a heads up.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
DONNY-DOG Thanks for the link i think the best thing i can do is go down and have a word.Ill post back monday and let everybody no what they say!!!

Thanks again

Are there any parts that you can swap back to the originals or have they gone in the bin?

Anyone? Can he insist on the work being done by a 3rd party?

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Hi tiger260 i put all the old parts stright in the bin (pad+discs+leads+plugs+brake lines+tyres).......

Thanks for the reply

Focus RS MK2,
Doesn't matter if it was a trade sale or not. That means nothing unless you are a trader or related business purchase - this guy is an average joe. It doesn't apply.

Sold as seen, trade sale, no warranty all means nothing to a normal punter. You are covered by law.

If you paid the £1500 on your credit card (please say yes) then you are covered under the terms of the credit and have even more protection. Any purchase over £100 and under £50k (I think is the ceiling) the credit company have Equal liability.

So what, you've spent £400 in parts, sell them. You're set to lose more than that in the long run and have been sold something not fit for purpose. Use google for ffs and take a script in there with you. The trader may/will/depends try all the tricks in the book - sounds like he already has.

Pretty sure it does make a difference mate! But then again I'm no expert! I'm only in the trade....Good idea about credit card though!
Did u pay by card or cash mate?

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Hi 182mark No i pald with cash i asked him to take my debit card but he sald his machine was down. You no what guys if it never sald INCLUDING HEAD GASKET 4 £1500 on the recept i would not be goin back with it.

Thanks for the reply mark

Focus RS MK2,
Hi 182mark No i pald with cash i asked him to take my debit card but he sald his machine was down. You no what guys if it never sald INCLUDING HEAD GASKET 4 £1500 on the recept i would not be goin back with it.

Thanks for the reply mark

Not to worry, just kick and scream and threaten everything you can think of legally... That's a point forgot about that at the the end of the day head gasket was agreed and head gasket has been botched! Trading standards! All the best for tmoz dude!

Cheers

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Pretty sure it does make a difference mate! But then again I'm no expert! I'm only in the trade....Good idea about credit card though!
Did u pay by card or cash mate?

A "trade sale" implies that the customer is a trader with some knowledge of the car trade who is buying the car to re-sell. In reality this phrase is meaningless. It is not possible for two contracting parties to agree to avoid the effects of the consumer protection legislation (even if they wanted to). - cant remember where I found that, but its in some documentation I used against the dealer who tried to bottom shaft me.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
the dealer doesnt have to accept the car back from you now as it is not in the same condition as when he sold it (i.e you have done some repairs). He may want to counter argue that your repairs have no warranty - just a heads up.

Thats not true.

The point is that the law gives 6 months protection - nothing can be 'the same' even at 5.9 months old. If the fault was only discovered after a few weeks before the expiration of the 6 month period (and the proof was that it was there to begin with) then the mileage would obviously be different, tyre wear etc etc. What the seller can say is that in the refund, he can take account of any usage since it was sold, like knocking part of the refund off, if this guy has been to the moon and back in a week. But the OP has replaced servicable items in my opinion and in most peoples opinion and has thus attempted to make the car of satisfactory and road legal quality - nothing wrong with that.

Going in and 'chatting' to this gent will do nothing though, in the eyes of the law. Things must be recorded. By all means go and have a chat, but state you will follow up the meeting in writing - make notes whilst in his/her presence. You must serve a written objection to accepting the car and send that recorded delivery - to get the process going.

In all honesty, the guy might just open the cash drawer and give you the money back - but I wouldnt be so sure and the Preperation prevents pi$$... you know..

Focus RS MK2,
A "trade sale" implies that the customer is a trader with some knowledge of the car trade who is buying the car to re-sell. In reality this phrase is meaningless. It is not possible for two contracting parties to agree to avoid the effects of the consumer protection legislation (even if they wanted to). - cant remember where I found that, but its in some documentation I used against the dealer who tried to bottom shaft me.

Like I say I'm no expert... I did think that trade sale implies basically sold as seen no warranty no prep work basically moving on part exchanges/stock they want to just turn over...

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Like I say I'm no expert... I did think that trade sale implies basically sold as seen no warranty no prep work basically moving on part exchanges/stock they want to just turn over...

I thought it too, until a car dealership in Nottingham tried to finger my @nus for £15k, by stating the exact same thing.

Tempted to let anyone at £16k though... PM me.

Focus RS MK2,
I thought it too, until a car dealership in Nottingham tried to finger my @nus for £15k, by stating the exact same thing.

Tempted to let anyone at £16k though... PM me.

Bloomin heck, that's why we only trade to traders... Hate garages like that give us all bad names! Who pm u mate ?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Bloomin heck, that's why we only trade to traders... Hate garages like that give us all bad names! Who pm u mate ?

You want to poke my @nus? if you've got £16k dude, PM away. There are plenty of public loo's in Donny.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Guys like i sald he told me the HEAD GASKET needed doing and for £1500 and no less(as stated on the reciept which i still have) he WOULD do the head gasket which has not been done. When iv been down there monday ill update.........

It sounds like you have a strong case for a refund, which would be the best course of action.

As said, he may be cool about it but you have to be prepared for a long haul.

Keep calm and be strong.
Best of luck mate.

Focus RS MK2,
You want to poke my @nus? if you've got £16k dude, PM away. There are plenty of public loo's in Donny.

hahaha! didnt clock on with what you said there mate, but then again was reading it of my iphone and was half asleep... haha i'll pass thanks dude :)

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Hi all well i went down there......... Sald he would give me £1000 bk for the car i sald thats £500 less than i payed u!! He sald wear and tear.... 0r he sald i can go get an estmate and he would pay half thats the best i could get out of him. So went and got a price for the head gasket to be done £750 thats head skimmed new bolts and so on im goin to try and get more than half off him.....
What do you guys think??

Thanks for lookin......................

Bing

Clio
I don't know if this has been mentioned but take the car back and go for a full refund. Use scary words about buyer protection rights and fit for purpose.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
He's robbing you blind if you don't get every penny back - or he doesn't cover the full costs of the repair! The car sold should be 100% fit for purpose unless clearly stated it isn't.

Wear and tear? flol
This guy is a star.
He knows he's dumped a lemon on you and doesn't want it back.
Even if he pays half or 2/3 of the bill he's still in pocket from the deal.

Don't deal with him. You need your money back.

Have you tried PMing Daniel on here. He's normally good with cases like this.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Stand out the front of the dealership and talk to everyone who goes into the place. Explain what he has done to you. Worked for me at Comet !

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
ORRRR and he also offerd to have his garage fix it which i dont want at all im goin to go bk there now my mate thinks £750 is very high price for a h/g to b done? its a 172 not a cum so it got air con i thought £750 was about write?

Thanks for the replys guys

Bing

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I fcuking give up.

Keep the car, you are destined to be together.

YOU ARE PROTECTED BY LAW.

FFS use it.

PM me and I'll even give you the template letters, although I don't know why the kindness seeps from my heart with your lack of hearing and understanding.

Or continue posting on here and get anally ambushed by the trader. anal ftw.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Going in and 'chatting' to this gent will do nothing though, in the eyes of the law. Things must be recorded. By all means go and have a chat, but state you will follow up the meeting in writing - make notes whilst in his/her presence. You must serve a written objection to accepting the car and send that recorded delivery - to get the process going.

In all honesty, the guy might just open the cash drawer and give you the money back - but I wouldnt be so sure and the Preperation prevents pi$$... you know..

Lol, what did I tell you. Chatting ftl.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
guys a r****d and has no balls whatsoever.

just bend over and take it like a good lad

Lol.

"i've got a mate who'll put an engine in"

"I've been and got a quote for a head gasket.."

Flolz.

Tomorrow you'll be looking for lube, to get your passage all moist, for your trader friend to show you what wear and tear really feels like.

White clique
sale of goods act - goods not as described and goods not fit for purpose. You have to reject the car in writing and go there armed with a letter stating why you are rejecting it and be prepared to leave it and the keys / logbook on the forecourt! He is entitled to offer you a repair or replacement though.

for GODS sake why didnt you listen to anyone on here? If you are to deal with stuff like this you need to do it to the book and not get fobbed off! You need to go back in with the above, stop being so floppy and stand your ground.

And before you ask, around 6 months ago i bought a £30k car and the engine died after 3 days and got every penny back within a week - only after doing the above (plus an independent inspection).

REJECT THE CAR!!

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
lol sum pple.... been down there told him all of the above and hes doing the lot told i was goin to park the car outside ans sit on the bonnet and tell every 1 what he did and as im telling him this there was a customer standin listeing wanted me out the way. Car is being done thuresday .Are all the kids on here who want to insult me happy...

REALLY THOUGHT WE WERE ALL GROW UP ALL U ARE ARE FUCKIN BULLYS

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
lol sum pple.... been down there told him all of the above and hes doing the lot told i was goin to park the car outside ans sit on the bonnet and tell every 1 what he did and as im telling him this there was a customer standin listeing wanted me out the way. Car is being done thuresday .Are all the kids on here who want to insult me happy...

REALLY THOUGHT WE WERE ALL GROW UP ALL U ARE ARE f**kIN BULLYS

You've just admitted he said it to fob you off as a customer was listening?
FLolz dude, good luck. I'll stop bullying you - although I can summarise this thread without the pages we've all created:

Battered hoop: "I've been ripped off, what should I do?"
CS Bully: "Do this...and you'll get your money back, from CS bullies with experience..."
Battered hoop: "No thanks, I do the opposite. New engine, headgasket for the win"

Status
Not open for further replies.