ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's 1995 Impreza WRX STI Type RA

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Ha! It's funny how the cars from those movies end up over here. My friend nearly bought one of the green Eclipses from the first movie that someone had imported to the UK. He probably should have, given what it would be worth now.

Joking aside, I do actually really like that!
As much as I like a 'Z' I don't think I'd be able to drive around in one looking like that!

I agree though it does look smart for what it is.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
The RA is no longer for sale!

I'm going to keep the stubborn mistress...

The old girl put her foot down again, and I'm pretty sure the turbo has just let go!

A plume of white smoke under acceleration, and then when off the throttle the same out through what I presume is the intake.

Further stripdown will confirm this I'm sure, and I will let you know!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The RA is no longer for sale!

I'm going to keep the stubborn mistress...

The old girl put her foot down again, and I'm pretty sure the turbo has just let go!

A plume of white smoke under acceleration, and then when off the throttle the same out through what I presume is the intake.

Further stripdown will confirm this I'm sure, and I will let you know!

YES!!!!!

Then I read the next part.

Oh fcuk. If you need a turbo guy to rebuild it then give me a shout mate.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
YES!!!!!

Then I read the next part.

Oh fcuk. If you need a turbo guy to rebuild it then give me a shout mate.
Cheers Scott,

I may well take you up on that. I'd rather get my TD05 rebuilt rather than take a chance on all the cheap Chinese turbos out there!

I doubt I will get much done this month as I fly out to Cuba next Thursday for my 30th so will probably have to wait until July.

With CSF looming I need to get it fixed!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Mixed blessings, good that its staying, as i said, looking forward to seeing it blasted on track. Shame its not for better reasons but at least you have pretty much fixed everything that can go now, shouls hopefully make it a reliable keeper.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers Scott,

I may well take you up on that. I'd rather get my TD05 rebuilt rather than take a chance on all the cheap Chinese turbos out there!

I doubt I will get much done this month as I fly out to Cuba next Thursday for my 30th so will probably have to wait until July.

With CSF looming I need to get it fixed!

Anytime mate, my turbos away being billeted and rebuilt with a ceramic bearing (I was told by turbo dynamics that the VF34 roller bearing unit couldn't be rebuilt)

The chap doing mine owns a V2 RA. [emoji41]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Anytime mate, my turbos away being billeted and rebuilt with a ceramic bearing (I was told by turbo dynamics that the VF34 roller bearing unit couldn't be rebuilt)

The chap doing mine owns a V2 RA. [emoji41]
Further investigation/stripdown concludes it might not be the turbo after all!

Impeller has no play, and appears to be dry. However both the intake pipe and intercooler pipework are very wet with oil.

Could suggest a breather issue. From what I've been told on the RA forum if your running more than stock you need an oil catch tank. So that will be my first step at rectifying this problem!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Mixed blessings, good that its staying, as i said, looking forward to seeing it blasted on track. Shame its not for better reasons but at least you have pretty much fixed everything that can go now, shouls hopefully make it a reliable keeper.
Cheers Dave!

As I was saying to Kris I have decided I really should try and enjoy this RA after all the effort, time, and money has been put into it.

Even with all the problems I've had I really do love the car, it's just a pain in the bloody arse!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Good news it might be a simpler cheaper fix.
Even with all the problems I've had I really do love the car, it's just a pain in the bloody arse!
To be expected though, its an older, more complex, strained selection of parts. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at other cars, clio is simple, but i want something more reliable. However all the cars that interest me are likely to not only be more complicated but more expensive!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Good news it might be a simpler cheaper fix.

To be expected though, its an older, more complex, strained selection of parts. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at other cars, clio is simple, but i want something more reliable. However all the cars that interest me are likely to not only be more complicated but more expensive!
The Clio might get tarred with the 'it's French' b****cks but to be fair considering the amount of abuse most of us give them especially on track. They're bloody bomb proof.

(within reason of course)

It will be very interesting to see how the Scoob fairs at Blyton especially against the mighty Clio!

It will be my first time on track in the RA, and I know it's going to be completely different to my Trophy.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
New tyres in preparation for CSF17! [emoji6]

Not long now, and I'm really looking forward to it. The last two years I've been were awesome!

Hoping this week to install a RCM oil catch tank. Looks like a fairly comprehensive kit and includes a braided line to return oil back to the sump using a modified sump plug.

Fingers crossed this cures my smoke problem. Other than the odd puff the RA is driving lovely, so I really want to get this fixed.
303f141a1fff2b4026ccae1f6459767f.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
New tyres in preparation for CSF17! [emoji6]

Not long now, and I'm really looking forward to it. The last two years I've been were awesome!

Hoping this week to install a RCM oil catch tank. Looks like a fairly comprehensive kit and includes a braided line to return oil back to the sump using a modified sump plug.

Fingers crossed this cures my smoke problem. Other than the odd puff the RA is driving lovely, so I really want to get this fixed.
303f141a1fff2b4026ccae1f6459767f.jpg

Great stuff mate. Im interested to hear your thoughts on the tyres.

Ill be buying a set soon, i may also need a RCM catch tank kit too.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
It pains me to write this message, but the RA has died... Well the engine certainly has!

Now if you remember my RA was recently up for sale, but I withdrew it when it started to smoke which was suspected to be a breathing issue that might be cured by installing an oil catch tank...

Suffice to say it hasn't and the breather pipe on the catch tank could be easily mistaken for an exhaust! on a test drive yesterday there where plumes of smoke from both the exhaust, and the breather pipe. To top it off the oil pressure gauge was fluctuating and went very low several times. At idle with the dipstick removed smoke is pouring out from the dipstick tube, the idle itself is very erratic and there are a few unwelcome noises coming from the engine!

I suspect a fault lies internally and possibly engine / bottom end related. I need to do a compression test to confirm my suspicions, but I don't need to if I'm honest. It really pains me to say this, but I haven't the time nor the money to go any further with this car especially after all the other problems I've had with it.

I'm really not sure what to do next, and gutted doesn't even cover the way I'm feeling right now... 😞

Question is do you think there would be much interest for my RA in this condition, and if so how much would it be worth? I appreciate I'm going to make a huge loss, but at this moment in time I want to cut my losses.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Absolutely gutted for you :pensive:

After all the problems you've had up to now this is almost unbelievable.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Difficult to make a unemotional decision when the problem is this fresh. Sit on it for a week and i suspect the logical route will bolt in another engine to get it running, the love will come back.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Difficult to make a unemotional decision when the problem is this fresh. Sit on it for a week and i suspect the logical route will bolt in another engine to get it running, the love will come back.
It's not as simple as that unfortunately mate!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'm lost for words mate. [emoji22] [emoji22]

Am I right in thinking that you had the engine tested when you replaced the head gaskets?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I'm lost for words mate. [emoji22] [emoji22]

Am I right in thinking that you had the engine tested when you replaced the head gaskets?
No mate unfortunately the block was never opened, the bores all looked fine with minor scoring.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wish we had stripped it down further. It may not of shown anything at the time, but if those components were refreshed it might of stopped this from happening.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the kind messages, and support chaps!

This is truly a great forum with an awesome community!

I think the plan is to cut my losses and sell the RA is it is.

Unsure what to replace it with but at the moment top of the list is a Clio 200!

I need to try and sort something out though because currently I will be attending CSF with no car!

Impreza RB5 #054
Was just about to write that white smoke won't be turbo, more like headgasket.

With regards to value, what are they fetching in working condition then minus engine rebuild (2k ish) and then enough off to make it worthwhile for someone to take on the project.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
The RA has sold! The new owner is collecting this weekend.

I'd be lieing if I said I'll miss the Scoob... They're cracking cars and I will always love them. However mine has caused me no end of grief, and it's time to move on! [emoji23]

I'm coming back to a Renault, and going to look at an R26 this weekend.

Look out for a "Rob's R26" thread soon! [emoji6]

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The RA has sold! The new owner is collecting this weekend.

I'd be lieing if I said I'll miss the Scoob... They're cracking cars and I will always love them. However mine has caused me no end of grief, and it's time to move on! [emoji23]

I'm coming back to a Renault, and going to look at an R26 this weekend.

Look out for a "Rob's R26" thread soon! [emoji6]

Happy for you mate, if very sad too.

It was a big shame you had such a bad experience owning a impreza. [emoji22]

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think the reason I've kept mine so long is because it just seems to be bullet proof. Apart from consumables and 1 service, I haven't spent anything on it in 2 years.

*touches wood. Lots of wood...

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I think the reason I've kept mine so long is because it just seems to be bullet proof. Apart from consumables and 1 service, I haven't spent anything on it in 2 years.

*touches wood. Lots of wood...
*touches wood for you also*

I think for the most part they are bloody reliable. Ive got a mate with a 'blob eye' and he treats it like crap! And that car hasn't put a foot wrong, there's plenty of stories like this.

There's also a few like mine...

Like I said I will always have a soft spot for them. You just can't beat that burble!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Such a shame! All that effort, and money ploughed into it to be rewarded with a fubar'd engine!

Fingers crossed the next car is as good as gold!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
*touches wood for you also*

I think for the most part they are bloody reliable. Ive got a mate with a 'blob eye' and he treats it like crap! And that car hasn't put a foot wrong, there's plenty of stories like this.

There's also a few like mine...

Like I said I will always have a soft spot for them. You just can't beat that burble!

I think that because they're so old now, the chances that one (or more?) of the owners have abused them and then it means later down the line they fail catastrophically.

Mine was a completely standard U.K. Car when I got it so I guess nobody abused it because a BMW 320d is faster! Lol
Yours being a much more desirable model, chances are people gave it death from cold, ran low on oil, not serviced enough etc.

My view anyway.

My Bro's 1997 STI was babied and the bottom end still went on it precisely 5 minutes after me borrowing it. 🙈

It's the imports that seem to let go even after being mapped for UK fuel. But then I guess you don't truly know their former life before the UK.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My Bro's 1997 STI was babied and the bottom end still went on it precisely 5 minutes after me borrowing it. 🙈

It's the imports that seem to let go even after being mapped for UK fuel. But then I guess you don't truly know their former life before the UK.
That's my point. with old cars, you just never know how it's been treated in a past life. Especially Scoobs/Evo's where they are so sensitive to mapping and fuel quality.

My 300ZX TT was pampered by me. Did absolutely everything by the book. Bottom end went for no apparent reason.
After speaking to the previous owner on a forum, turns out he drove round for 3 months with a knackered Turbo (thus low on oil) and replaced the turbos before selling it to the bloke I bought it off.

I got it and then...

Last edited: