ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roof painting

Clio 172
Have been looking around on different forums, and have decided i'm going to spray the roof, spoiler and mirror caps on my clio gloss black to tie in with my alloys that i have already sprayed satin black.

This pic in particular caught my eye..

CARBON-ROOF-web.jpg

Before i drop it into a panel beater to do the work, i thought why not try it myself first, so i'm looking for a bit of advice when carrying out the different steps..

To prep the roof for spraying, would i be best to wet sand using 1200 grade wet and dry paper until the shine is taken off? How do i get the small strips above each rear window off?

I plan on leaving about 24 hours between priming and painting and the same again between painting and laquering, but should i wet sand the surface lightly after priming and again after painting?

Would it be ok to do this in my driveway once the car is shielded from dust? And would it be doable using rattle cans and a clip on spray gun attachment?

Bear in mind, the bodywork on my car is already in a rough enough state, and i don't mind giving this a shot, i am purely wondering if it is doable before i go near a bodyshop. I have sprayed mirror caps and alloy wheels a number of times before.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
I wouldnt attempt it tbh. Chances are will look s**t just take it to a bodyshop otherwise you will be paying for it twice. A freind of mine once sprayed his 25,000 mile mint astra gte on his drive way with a fence sprayer... needless to say it looked appalling.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Its a difficult one to get right if your not in the correct environment. I.e. Temp, Light, etc.
IMO - It would be easier to drop it to a bodyshop.

Storm Grey 200
Go for it on the mirrors etc, but the roof is deffo one for the shop.

The strips above the rear windows just pull out

Don't even bother. Black is the worst colour for showing up imperfections in lacquer, and roofs are one of the worst places for showing up imperfections aswell. Just wait, save the cash, get it done properly.