ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

room for a dci clio owner

hello all i own a new clio 1.5dci65 and wondered if i was welcome around here or not? spec of my car is as follows:-

52 reg clio dci65 dynamique in nautical blue
superchipped to 97bhp with customer key
17" wolfrace ikon wheels
35mm pi lowering springs
lexus rear lights
colour coded bumpers, door rubbing strips and roof spoiler
renaultsport sideskirts in body colour
silver front grille
body colour dash inserts
panasonic touch screen head unit
panasonic speakers front and rear
toad 6.5" dash mount screen
PS2 ready
power convertor for PS2 or certain electrical equipment (and no it wont work a tumble drier)
Alpine 10" sub and amp in custom boot install

oh and its for sale if anyone wants to buy it?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

If youve got a clio then your welcome.:) Guess you wont be a member for long tho if your selling it!!

hello there! i dunno how long i will be a member for it all depends on how long it takes to sell it. No i aint getting another clio i am getting a new mini cooper S with hartge engine conversion i think. my clio hasnt been sh*t its just my new job means me and the fiancee dont need two new cars so we are selling ours and getting one car to share

Who tunnd the engine to 65hp superchips tune them to 88hp. But 97hp without much smoke or damage to engine? Has it got an intercooler as well under there?

EDD

it was 65 originally. well lane turbo centre in leeds(superchips dealer) superchipped it then rolling roaded it and got 97bhp out of it! It does smoke but its done 16,000 miles since and no engine trouble. It doesnt have an intercooler but i was thinking of getting one fitted until i decieded to sell her i was also gonna get a dump valve fitted before i decieded to sell it

97hp is excellent especially with what they claim being 80hp do you know if they raised the boost pressure? But why would you got and get a dump value it makes no sence on a diesel?

How many miles has the car done now?

EDD

the chip automatically raises the boost limit. and the dump valve was for novelty purposes only mate, the fact that people would say that clios got a dump valve. The car has done a little over 20,000 miles now

right i got the chip from well lane turbo centre in leeds, west yorkshire! and yes 97bhp! I would show you the print out but it got foldes and screwed up a bit and it wont scan. The chip cost me £415 inc rolling road session, it was a special offer at the time i think they are normally £515 inc rolling road. As for mpg it has lost some but not loads! The lowest i have seen it at was something like 37mpg thats with constant foot down everywhere i went! And the highest i have had it is 67mpg on a long motorway stint! normally i have it doing 53mpg which is roughly 550-600 miles to a tank. Worst thing about the chip is the smoking when booting it but it dont bother me cos i know i can see off 1.2 16v anyday. My mate had a saxo vtr on 17s and he really struggled to catch me on a motorway once.

Any idea how much the boost is increased to?

Also Ive been thiniking all day about this at work (I dont do much) the ony way your car got 97hp is if

1- The RR you had was over reading (unliky if you kept with a VTR)

2- They loaded the wrong ECU map into your car I would guess they loaded the 80hp Clio map into your car which would account for the smoke.

97hp from the engine is close to what superchips claim for the 80hp version (its only about 5% of what they claim for it) the extra power the 80hp would get is cos of an intercooler.

Id be very warry of runnign a 80hp map on a 65hp version the Clio. A diesel needs cool air and thats where the intercooler come into its own running high boost = high engine intake + exhaust temps which is bad for the engine.

Being as you have been runnign round for 15k without any trouble maybe the engine can handle it but for how long?

You seem to get the same sort of MPG as me which is quite supprising as I also got the car to 37 hammering it round Wales (only think the place is good for).

Least with all that power you can put 1.2 boys will all the mods to shame 100hp out of a 1.2 would cost more than your remap and you have more torque and mpg.

What are the pi springs like the normal suspension is useless I think it has no feedback which I miss. Do the springs do much to help or are they just there for looks?

Sorry for all the questions but not to many modded Dci owners out there. Not to many Dci owners that I ever see who arnt drawing there pensions.

EDD

welcome to the club:D, oh and a word of advice dont buy a mini they are complete sh*t, i should know as i work for a bmw dealer who sells the new mini

Mk2 Golf GTI

I was wondering that as well, are they part of the sports bodykit that you can buy from the dealer? and if theres room for me, youre definitely welcome!

what will the dci 80 do in second gear. also is there a trade off higher up the rev range like in the dci 65. basically you rev my engine and all it does is make more nose lol. i have driven a lot of diesels but most are bigger cc or more powerful. cheers

The 80hp has an intercooler plus a pressure release valve on the turbo and a bigger fuel pressure pump (the thing that gives pressuised fuel to the injectors) the injectors and everything else are the same. I would guess that the 100hp version will have only a few mods to it as well maybe bigger turbo and bigger intercooler as a FMIC one would get you 100hp easy.

I cannot see why a 80hp intercooler cannot be fitted to the 65 clio as there engines are so similar but the normal intercooler is bound to be useless might as well get a fmic one or somehting similar. Ive never seen the 80hp versions one but i bet its small= useless for high power.

EDD

The Jinx

You could just squeeze the 120bhp 1.9 lump in and mate it to the 6spd Megane box, and then chip it.

Or you could do what Im going to do and buy a cheaper car, thats petrol and has far more bhp.

mike8579 your so right the money is better spent on a more powerful car.

However the 1.9 engine and 6 speed box wont fit into the Clio bay apparently so you would need mega£ to make it fit.

And if you were going to spend that much why not drop a 2.2 unto the engine for loads of power (150 stock and 180 chipped) and with a few more mods 200hp which would shock a few cups.#

The 1.5 engines is quite strong (200lb torue with remaps on the 80s). The engine could go to about 160hp with uprated 1.8bar turbo (use a 130/150 pd turbo from the VAGs as thats about right pressure) then with bigger fuel pumps (maybe 2) and bigger injectors (from a 2.2 or 1.9 may fit?) and a huge FMIC and a one off remap would get you upto 155~160hp and 260lbf the gearbox wouldnt hold that much torque for long but 220lbf should be a problem.

Renault should drop bigger diesel engines into the Clios but then again they would be almost as fast as 172 which would make for some unhappy Renault sport drivers.

I think the 100hp 1.5 is going into the next generation Clios.

EDD

edde i have no idea what the max boost pressure is on the car

97bhp is what the readout said so i believe it, only reason i can think of it being wrong is if they took the reading from the engine and not at the wheels but i cant see why they would do that

also they specifically asked me when i got it chipped which one it was and i told them it was the 65

The other thing is i cant see the engine being damaged from the chip as it wont increase boost pressure enough to cause the inlet charge temp to be too hot as the car will have tolerances, yeah it may be close to the maximum tolerance but it wont be over that.

I get alot of satisfaction when i beat my mates down the by-pass in their 1.2s and also am at least 10-20mpg more than them it makes the extra money the car cost worth while

personally mate the pis are a bit sh*t so i would go for eibachs, they look good but the ride is a bit poo as i think they dont take enough shock out of the ride

oh and 172loony my fiancee already has a new mini and its twice the car of the clio in my opinion for its individuality and its drive which is tonnes better fun to drive than the clio.

for some reason everytime i try post a pic of my car it comes up wi the little square box with a cross in it so here is a link to a site where there are some pics of my car http://www.maxeduk.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=9http://www.maxeduk.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=9

The 100 1.5 has been quietly mentioned a few times in Renault literature.

They have a 1.2 16V diesel with 100hp working in a prototype Scenic thing which would be excellent. The engine has twice the amount of nozel capacity as the 1.5 so leading to better fuel burn in the combustion chamber and it has a better exhaust setup leading to very very low emissions.

As for the chipping of the engine i would personally be worried about running the engine at any higher boost as the engine intake will be at about 80~90 degrees above ambiently with stock boost.

A 150 golf running with a chip at 1.7 bar gets ~205hp which has an FMIC the 1.5 must be runing about 1.4 bar boost to get 95hp and 1.4 bar is one heck of an increase in temp. The smoke you see from a diesel is unburnt fuel being exhaused from the cylinder which burns in the exhaust manifold and heats it up which causes damage.

EDD

Quote: Originally posted by clio2505 on 31 October 2003

oh and 172loony my fiancee already has a new mini and its twice the car of the clio in my opinion for its individuality and its drive which is tonnes better fun to drive than the clio.
sorry to disagree you being a newbie and all, but seeing them everyday and driving them regularly and even toying with the thought of a cooper s (before i had driven any of the minis) i came to the conclusion that although those fitted with the uprated suspension were nice hadling they were slow(including the s) had a massive flatspot, the build quality was appaling and also the amout of recalls we see is rediculous, with the number of faults growing my the hour. not slating the car just have plenty of experience with both and after 17 months of trouble free ownership im glad i went for the 172 over the cooper s, not to mention the fact the equivalent spec s is 18500

Theyre 172 skirts. Actual ones, not sport accessory kit ones. You can see where they dont line up as they go with the 172 wide arches as well normally.

-Rob

nope it s mark darby, why do you ask, dont owe you any money do I "! lol

All I want is similar sideskirts to the 172. i dont want big skirts cos its a diesel, you cant polish a turd can you! I want to finsih the car off

any suggestions on people who make them or have simular designs.

nah they aint 172 skirts. they are renault accessory skirts which i bought from the dealers i cant remember any part numbers or anything like that but if ya want i can find them out. i went for them cos they were subtle too!(unlike the carzone kit-sorry if there is anyone on here who has it) 172loony all cars have faults you cant buy any car that is perfect unless you really pay for a car i myself have had problems with my car and know friends and family who also have clios and they have had the exact same faults so clios have their faults too! I have recently changed jobs and my last job was a mechanic at ford and each different model of ford has their own faults so to say the clio is better isnt really the truth in my opinion