ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rough Bodywork

W

WAR 23N

My brother bought a 172 about 2 weeks ago now! For £1,400 you cant complain its in pretty good nic for the age of the car. But what really is buggin me is the paint work, I washed the car for him yesterday and as I was rubbing the mitt over the body, the paint work felt like sand paper.

I was just wondering what would the best thing be to get rid of this? I've been told just normal t-cut will get rid of it but I'm thinking it will probably need a full detailing session with a machine polisher.

Any tips please???

Thanks.

Punto/Clio GTT
hate when people dont post pics!!! its either gonna need a full respray, or it may just need wetsanding all over then cutting back up. either way, cant tell without seeing it.

t-cut wont do anything

W

WAR 23N

I'll see if i can get some pics up tonight... To be honest you cant really see much anyway its just when you clean it you can feel it under the mitt... I'll see if i can get some decent pics though.

W

WAR 23N

The 2 back quater panels and the hole back end, including the glass :S its wierd haha

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Try decontaminating the paint.. You'll need to use iron x or similar then tardis or similar and then finally clay.. Take a look at the detailing section there's plenty of info in there..

Phase 1 172, boxster
wet flat and machine polish, sounds like dirt and crap in the laquer

if its deeper then may need respraying :(

Albi blue 197
Iron x tar remover shampoo clay good polish with few different grades try it my old white Clio was like that and that seemed to sort it

W

WAR 23N

Ok, thanks for the info guys! If the weather is decent this weekend i'll give it a full Saturday :)

W

WAR 23N

Thanks tptds, I'll try the Iron X and clay bar 1st... If that doesnt work i shall go for the machine polisher!!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Recommending someone wet sand there car is pretty silly unless you know they are more than capable, it's not something to go at light heartedly. Far to easy to get wrong then you'll need to re paint it. No offence to the OP but it's not something you should be trying

As said its quite likely contamination from trees, bug droppings, tar, iron fallout, etc. A good decontamination wash as mentioned above is the best and safest way to start. Just this alone can transform the finish. Then protect your hard work with a wax or sealant

W

WAR 23N

Recommending someone wet sand there car is pretty silly unless you know they are more than capable, it's not something to go at light heartedly. Far to easy to get wrong then you'll need to re paint it. No offence to the OP but it's not something you should be trying

As said its quite likely contamination from trees, bug droppings, tar, iron fallout, etc. A good decontamination wash as mentioned above is the best and safest way to start. Just this alone can transform the finish. Then protect your hard work with a wax or sealant

I wasnt going to tackle that myself to be fair, Dave! I would have told my bro to go and get it done professionally. It is something I want to learn more about though and have a go at doing, just not on my car :p

I will try a decontamination wash followed by a good polish and wax :)

W

WAR 23N

Ahhh your over the other side of arent you? (The dark side) haha...

I dont really go up that neck of the woods really... The closest thing to Newton-Le-Willows i go is the Burger King in Winwick just off the M62 near B&Q :rofl:

W

WAR 23N

I'll try iron x and clay bar 1st see how that turns out, if that doesnt work i'll send him your way

I know, ive not heard of anything going on round this way for ages!! get someone sorting it out in the regions threads!! lol

W

WAR 23N

LOL, touch wood mines been spot on apart from a few weeks ago my decat pipe sort of broke :S but i got it sorted! Haha

theres nothing to show off on mine anyway, Milltek with a decat, lowered 40mm on apex springs and it has black rims... thats it haha!!

Clean though ;)

Dodgy one
Id probrably just say its overspray, Probrably had some paint up front and someones not been arsed to cover the back end up.

W

WAR 23N

I should imagine the Iron X and claying will sort it... I'll be doing it Saturday hopefully! I'll get some pics up then if its done :)