ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rs2 manifold

MK2 PH2 172 Cup
what are the other two i've just seen this on another forum sorry i was a little excited when i saw it being remade :p

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Are you now somehow in connection with the RS2?

Oh - no! lol. I just remember all the original threads about its development etc. And a few people on FB have emailed asking if it's actually happening. Good it is being remade as it looks like a lovely piece of engineering and design!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Thats the bare kit though.
For reference, I paid about £1500 for
Kit
Airfilter
Colour choice
Coil pack mount
Uprated engine mounts
Fitted
Mapped
From what i can see its going to be:

£695 Kit
£45 filter
£45?? Mount?? <no idea>
Fitting Do it your self you lazy buggers
Mapping £300*

*Approx

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
This just popped up on facebook:
Looking back through the old RS2 thread, a decent RR showing before and after. Believe it was a Mike Woodfood and/or "that other mapping bloke that got banned" map too...
11406938_393890917465444_5888286949567166808_n.jpg

Clio 182 FF
Great to see this being remade at a more realistic price!

This £695 core kit looks like "just" the Jenvey intake manifold and the carbon plenum.

The original kit (however many years ago it was!) additionally included:
  • Coil Pack Mount
  • Uprated engine mounts
  • Crankcase breather filter
  • Brake servo extension line
  • Silicon hose, aliminum coupler, air filter
The original kit was £1299. (Or £170 cheaper if you skipped the engine mounts). Custom colour scheme was an additional £50.
With fitting it was £1585.
And with mapping at RSTuning it was £1795.

Their website says they're going to be making the coil pack mount again. Or alternatively there's the KTEC one.
Lots of people probably already have uprated engine mounts (or new OEM ones).
A crankcase breather filter is easy to sort yourself. Or better still, get a catch can.
The brake vacuum hose you can probably do yourself, assuming that the RS2 manifold still has a 90° coupler on the rear (according to an old post from Mick you just get 8mm speedfit pipe and a single coupler to extend your existing brake servo line to the new manifold).
Air filter / hose from the throttle body will be easy enough too.

Clio RS172 Ph2
Maybe a stupid question, but why were there some uprated engine mounts in the package? It has nothing to do with the inlet manifold I guess?

Did the RS2 always used 1 diameter and length? Or where there different options for diameter and length? Somebody knows what the diameter and length was/is?

Inlet manifold has same shape as the original cylinder head? And if you have a ported head (bigger diameter) you have to grind the manifold yourself?

Clio 182 FF
Okay, but if you have good engine mounts, there is no problem at all?
Correct.
People fitted the RS2 manifold with 10 year old worn out engine mounts, and then complained when the manifold moved around with the engine and got damaged.
People seemed to think that you need uprated/stiffer ones, when really you just needed new OEM ones.

TBH ignoring the RS2, half the threads on here are always "I fitted uprated engine mounts and they're amazing"... without realising that it's silly to compare brand new stiffer mounts with worn out OEMs.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
@Gerben just remebered something......it might be worth reading through all the old post on the RS2, as there was some discussion about them not always working as well as hoped with hotter cams, and you have Shricks right?
They did seem to work well with the specially timed 197/200 cams (it this timing still a secret?) going past 200bhp at the cost of a little torque lower down.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
@Gerben just remebered something......it might be worth reading through all the old post on the RS2, as there was some discussion about them not always working as well as hoped with hotter cams, and you have Shricks right?
They did seem to work well with the specially timed 197/200 cams (it this timing still a secret?) going past 200bhp at the cost of a little torque lower down.
They require pretty darn high rpm to crack 200bhp iirc.

Correct.
People fitted the RS2 manifold with 10 year old worn out engine mounts, and then complained when the manifold moved around with the engine and got damaged.
People seemed to think that you need uprated/stiffer ones, when really you just needed new OEM ones.

TBH ignoring the RS2, half the threads on here are always "I fitted uprated engine mounts and they're amazing"... without realising that it's silly to compare brand new stiffer mounts with worn out OEMs.
Did one ever actually get damaged?
I had one of the first RS2 manifolds and they advised uprated mounts from the start (I already had them). The clearance between the fan shroud and plenum was tiny. I cut away some of the shroud to be safe.
I've had new Renault mounts and new K-tec ones and there is a significant difference in how much you can rock the engine by hand.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
The rs2 looks the absolute daddy, that's a seriously nice piece of production and a really professional install...

I'm gonna be waiting for this to hit the market again..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
So to get the best out of this you would need more aggressive cams at £xyz to benefit

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
According to "that banned mapper" on FB:

"Best cams for the RS2 are standard ones retimed IMHO.
Makes more power from 2K-7K than the 197 ones do. The 197 ones hit a higher peak figure, but they are only better for the last 500rpm and with such a wide ratio gearbox thats just not a good trade off IMHO"

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
According to "that banned mapper" on FB:

"Best cams for the RS2 are standard ones retimed IMHO.
Makes more power from 2K-7K than the 197 ones do. The 197 ones hit a higher peak figure, but they are only better for the last 500rpm and with such a wide ratio gearbox thats just not a good trade off IMHO"
interesting...retimed to what?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
So let's say mine

Standard Airbox with k&n filter
Ktec stealth with cat and centre silencer, although I an looking to decat.

Throw this manifold on, get it mapped properly. Rough (won't hold you to it, lol) estimate on increases?