ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS2 vs Cams

182 Turbo
Calls for a good discussion,

If you were to buy one which would you go and why?

From what I've heard cams will give you a better bhp peak but the RS2 offers a good torque increase throughout the whole rev range?

Yes I know there is a big RS2 thread going on but that's irrelevant this is Cams vs RS2 there roughly the same sort of price but as for others like me who are thinking About one or the other soon this should bring up some good information.

So Cams or RS2 Manifold,
What would you choose and why?

Cheers,
Aydon.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I went for RS2.

Reason being, it's bolt on / bolt off and my belts were done already and I didn't want to spend the money having them done again.

It's a daily driver with the odd track day, motorway over taking is a pleasure with the RS2 fitted.

Quite happy -

5d60c8f4-3a6e-6ab6.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What would YOU choose and why?

We went for an RS2 for our 172.

Reasons:
Easy to fit, and also easy to remove later on to sell on if we get rid of the car
It gives a fantastic gain in torque at the sort of rpm that we're at for motorway driving which we use it for a lot
Its good at the top of the rev range, the standard inlet strangles the motor at 7K+ and we do a lot of trackdays so its nice to have that bit of extra rev range as the gears arent very close on the 172
My mrs is quite into detailing and it looks nice

Downsides:
I actually quite miss the "nothing-nothing-lots" delivery of the standard inlet where it feels like you have a lot of torque at 5500rpm or so, partly cause it makes good power ther, and partly because there is so little before it (a bit like the way bad turbo lag makes a car feel quicker when it spools!) cams are very much "like standard but more so"

So it kind of depends what you are after, cammed cars undoubtably feel quicker as they have that big midrange surge that the RS2 does, so by contrast they feel more aggressive where as the RS2 is kind of deceptively quick because its so smooth.

I know that I wont be fitting throttle bodies at a later date too for example, as I already have other cars for more serious tuning, so if you think you might fit bodies then an RS2 is a bad idea really as you'll have to remove it to fit them where as cams you wont, and in fact they complement bodies well.

So it really is a personal choice, and each has their merits.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Chips post above sums it up quite nicely really. I knew I was getting ITB's, and I needed the belts done so Cams it was for me. If not, I'd have RS2'd. The sell on part didn't register for me either as I'm likely to keep the car as a trackday toy for some time.

182 Turbo
Thanks Guys some good contributions there, sounds like RS2 would probably be my preferred choice, nice to hear your experiences with the RS2 Chip, any more experiences with either! Maybe someones had both before and they can comment on what it was like varying from one to the other.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is always the option of doing both of course.

201-bhp-graph.jpg

Simple way to get to 200bhp whilist still maintaining the aircon and cruise control etc.

You'd be looking at spending the money out twice then of course, but at least its in two chunks not all at once, so you could do rs2 first, then when your belt next needs changing anyway just budget a grand for it rather than about half that like normal and get cams at the same time as the belts, although you will then need a remap after the cams too, so its slightly dearer for that reason than doing it all at once.

That would see you at 185-190 to begin with, and 200bhp or so once you are on the cams too, assuming you have a pretty decent engine to start with.

Like I say, it really does depends on things like if you want to keep the car for long etc and what you use it for.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Something else to note- The RS2 is perfectly behaved at idle/pulling away. Cams can cause problems I believe?

225 Cup & Williams
Something else to note- The RS2 is perfectly behaved at idle/pulling away. Cams can cause problems I believe?

From what I've read 438's and the Gt cams Fred sells are fine. I can imagine other more aggressive cams could cause problems like you say though.

182 Turbo
There is always the option of doing both of course.

View attachment 71681

Simple way to get to 200bhp whilist still maintaining the aircon and cruise control etc.

You'd be looking at spending the money out twice then of course, but at least its in two chunks not all at once, so you could do rs2 first, then when your belt next needs changing anyway just budget a grand for it rather than about half that like normal and get cams at the same time as the belts, although you will then need a remap after the cams too, so its slightly dearer for that reason than doing it all at once.

That would see you at 185-190 to begin with, and 200bhp or so once you are on the cams too, assuming you have a pretty decent engine to start with.

Like I say, it really does depends on things like if you want to keep the car for long etc and what you use it for.

Chip, I've read many threads implying cams and the RS2 Manifold don't go down very well together, in most cases even losing power?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Chip, I've read many threads implying cams and the RS2 Manifold don't go down very well together, in most cases even losing power?

It was designed to maximise the potential of an internally standard engine, Tom never really got to mess about with cams as well. Bar James' small experiment with the C&Bs.

The theory is that it could work with cams, but the CAD work & other airflow modelling (or whatever he did) was based on a standard 182.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Indeed it is, mapped by Henk in holland and the cambelt was done by Danny before 519 was created which he f**ked up.

yeecup, got anything clever to say or are you just another gullable cs idiot?

think you'll find james admitted that was a lie last week.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
The standard camshafts work best with the Rs2, We're currently in the trailing process with RIKUS Automotives semi group N tool which has broken the 200bhp rs2 with standard camshafts, hopefully we'll be able to confirm this in the coming weeks :)

HBT 172 Cup
Indeed it is, mapped by Henk in holland and the cambelt was done by Danny before 519 was created which he f**ked up.

So, you think looking at that graph and the powerband it produces is a result of poor cam timing? what planet are you on, it makes the correct torque up top there is clearly nothing wrong with the timing. Not to mention it was agreed between JMS and 519 the timing was fine after they checked it multiple times anyway.

And its mapped poorly because Henk did it? The same Henk that has one of the best reputations for engine calibration on our little renaults just about anywhere??

You fail at deffending the RS2

So, you think looking at that graph and the powerband it produces is a result of poor cam timing? what planet are you on, it makes the correct torque up top there is clearly nothing wrong with the timing. Not to mention it was agreed between JMS and 519 the timing was fine after they checked it multiple times anyway.

And its mapped poorly because Henk did it? The same Henk that has one of the best reputations for engine calibration on our little renaults just about anywhere??

You fail at deffending the RS2

Did I say that Danny messed the timing up which affected the power? Well he did in way but it's the consequence of poor timing, not just the timing being out.

Also have you been to holland to have your car mapped by Henk? Granted he's done quite a few calibrations for the RS range but they are far too compromised to cater for the wide range of RS's on the market as a generic map.

Have you read my previous post? I've already said that I'll be purchasing a set of camshafts for mine whilst I'm doing the cambelt, if I was so against them wouldn't I just get the cambelt done and then fit an RS-2? lol

HBT 172 Cup
Did I say that Danny messed the timing up which affected the power? Well he did in way but it's the consequence of poor timing, not just the timing being out.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? WUT

Also have you been to holland to have your car mapped by Henk? Granted he's done quite a few calibrations for the RS range but they are far too compromised to cater for the wide range of RS's on the market as a generic map.

No i have not been to holland to have my car mapped, why is that relevant? From what i can make out you are saying Henk poorly mapped the RS2 car because he used a compromised generic map for it? *so much facepalm*. It's clear JMS and Henk would have worked close to perfect a custom calibration for the RS2. Again none of what you have said tells us why the it was mapped poorly by him?

Have you read my previous post? I've already said that I'll be purchasing a set of camshafts for mine whilst I'm doing the cambelt, if I was so against them wouldn't I just get the cambelt done and then fit an RS-2? lol

Can't knock you for that choice ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

TBH my personal opinion is that James from Stone automotive (aka JMS previously) was massively over critical of the results he had on that engine when he says that the cams "dont work" with the RS2.

Sure a totally flat curve like the ones he is used to on the RS2 is very desirable, but actually many other people are perfectly happy with the "twin peaks" type output you tend to get on hotter cams on a lot of engines with similar induction setups.

So where he calls it a failure because there is a hole in the torque at 4500 I dont think its quite that clear cut, I look at that graph and think that 3-4K where I sit in normal driving looks great, and 5-7.5K where I use a car on track looks great too, the hole at 4500 although obviously not what you would ever choose is actually in a place that wouldnt bother me particuarly as its not a bit of the rev range im at a lot in all honestly anyway, and even there its still only 130lbft that it drops to, its not like its down at 90 or something.

Next time the belt needs doing on ours (just been done so not for a while TBH!) I will almost certainly fit cams at the same time as I am doing it, and if the results i get resemble that graph, I'll be quite happy.

Its 200bhp, perfectly driveable, perfect cold starts, and all on a standard engine, to me thats good results, the dip at 4.5K is a slightly issue, but it doesnt render it something I wouldnt want just over that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PS

Whoever did the cam timing on James's engine didnt so in the context of developing the correct timing for those cams on that inlet, as they werent commissioned to do.
So at best it would have been on standard marks which are quite possibly not ideal anyway, what JMS should have done is what James is doing now, trying different cam timings and see how they work, James is doing that initially on the standard cams but personally I think if he has the development budget for it he should then move onto doing the same thing with aftermarket cams as well.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Indeed it is, mapped by Henk in holland and the cambelt was done by Danny before 519 was created which he fucked up.

Pipe down