ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rsi gearbox into a 1.2/1.4 engine

None
I was wondering if a gearbox from a mk1 1.8 rsi would fit straight onto a mk1 with a 1.2 or 1.4 engine or if any work needed to be done to fit it. Can anyone help??

Yes it will but why? It will kill acceleration as the ratios are longer!

Incidentally i'm away to put my 1.2 gearbox onto an rsi engine and will have an rsi gearbox spare if you want one.

Really though, don't do it...the JB1 (1.2/1.4 box) is strong enough, even for 16v power.

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
u33db - I dont know im nearly through my gearbox! But you are right there is really no point to put the rsi gearbox on.

Dude you can get a power boost valve for your car! get that then start doing headwork, itll soon be as fast as mine, easy! ;)

None
Thats running through my mind atm. Might do brakes, engine, alarm then suspension. Seeing that 16v fuel pump in my cuboard nearly everyday wants me to put it on and get a re-map for now (or power boost valve). Might look into re-furbing the gearbox tho..

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
I would just get a gearbox from a scrappy to refurb, then your car will still be drivable. Why the sudden necesterty for work on the gearbox etc? Dude do your suspension first ;)

Clio mk1 1.2
ajketley said:
u33db - I dont know im nearly through my gearbox! But you are right there is really no point to put the rsi gearbox on.

Dude you can get a power boost valve for your car! get that then start doing headwork, itll soon be as fast as mine, easy! ;)

what work have you done to ur engine then

thought the RSi gearbox was on the phase 3 sport model clios (1.4) and it makes it a bit quicker to 60.... could be wrong

None
Would the sport gearbox be any better?? I need to think about things like this atm so things don't start falling apart later on lol. The suspension plans sorted so might aswell do that and the brakes for now. I can never decide what to do next lol

S2000
What engine are you planning on putting in Maxx? As has been said before a JB1 can pretty much handle valver power so I wouldn't worry about that as your first move.

Sport geabox might be better but its still a JB1 so isn't going to be any stronger...i'd also suspect that the 1.2 ratios would still be more suitable for your 1.2.

FRST and 106 GTi
A friend of mine bolted the JB1053 (its like the 1.2 but with a slighty longer 5th gear) to is valver. The car was fast but the gearbox was destroyed in no time. Can't tell if the gearbox was in good shape thou.

BUTRE said:
A friend of mine bolted the JB1053 (its like the 1.2 but with a slighty longer 5th gear) to is valver. The car was fast but the gearbox was destroyed in no time. Can't tell if the gearbox was in good shape thou.

out of interest, how quick was 'no time' and what kind of driver is your mate?