ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSTuner and Remap Dynomometer graphs

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Couple other threads debating whether the RSTuner is worth it, and whether a remap is favourite or not

K-Tec (Blandford in the South) EFI (Cheshire) and Engine Dynamics (Essex) all offer Remaps from £200 upwards (K-Tec £300, ED £200)

I have a Phase 1, 172, has anyone got any remap graphs showing the gains
I believe for mine the power gains aren't great, but all round improvement is worth it?

Thanks

Clio 172 Cup
Hi mate I had my standard Clio 172 Cup mapped at EfI parts made 174.9bhp and I am currently working through some light modifications and will get the car back to Chris for map adjustments. Although no massive power gains to be had from these engines certainly improved drive and throttle response and cold starts ect.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I have to make my mind up, that after my matched inlets being fitted this week, the exhaust squeal sorted, and with the addition of an enlarged throttle body and induction kit. whether to remap at Engine Dynamics, or go for the Generic RS Tuner and see what happens

Am wondering whether the The RS Tuner, being a generic map, would not work as well with the breathing mods, or whether it would be OK?

Clio 172 Cup
Not sure or have the knowledge on how the RS tuner maps work but know that Chris at EFI maps are bespoke and are individual to the car and associated mods I will be definitely going back to him altho a 2 hour drive when my exhaust is fitted this week his work is fantastic

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have to make my mind up, that after my matched inlets being fitted this week, the exhaust squeal sorted, and with the addition of an enlarged throttle body and induction kit. whether to remap at Engine Dynamics, or go for the Generic RS Tuner and see what happens

Am wondering whether the The RS Tuner, being a generic map, would not work as well with the breathing mods, or whether it would be OK?

Proper map. The tuner is for basic mods. No decat as an example.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Leeds a bit too far from me.

Now- if i'd won the remap in the CSF last year when I was there...………………….. ah well.

This thread gives some idea to the benefits of the rs tuner: https://www.cliosport.net/threads/rstuner-map-loaded-with-dyno-charts.608773/

I have rs tuner on a mostly standard car and it felt better but not dramatically so. The main improvements are better cold starts and a slightly higher limiter to 7500. I understand you can't beat a custom map from EFI or ED though.

That said, Renault got about as much power out of these engines as they could (without a turbo or itbs).

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Will also or should drive a lot better throughout the range.

Top 3 mods to do.

Obviously, cooksports and turinis are first and second.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
^ ^
Yes, realise its more driveability you get, than power increase. Although Phase 1 owners seem happy with what they get with either

RSTuner or remap will be the last serious upgrade I do to the car, before (Maybe) getting something more powerful
Clio is great fun in all the twists and turns, but flat out its not the best

Not sure whether to go for a sportscat, or decat (Is it noisy) before going for a remap

Are decat tubes easy to get on/off when fitted. Access underneath obviously, but are they nuts n bolts only?
Seems a pain to swap back to the Cat every time I need an MOT, and also worried about sound levels. Currently running 85dcbs

Not even sure what the sizing of my exhaust is as its not OEM. Its a BTB exhaust and have a receipt for a standard Cat fitted a few year back- think the sizing of the exhaust is a Phase 2? Anyways, are decat pipes standard sizes for Phase 1*2's?

Yeah driveability is definitely improved, it just didn't feel night and day different. I might load the standard map back to feel the difference again.

I wouldn't recommend a decat on a 172, they look awkward to fit so it's not a quick job everytime you have an MOT coming up. It doesn't sound good either, just a load of noise. Mine was closer to 100db I think.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Just seen an older thread from NorthloopCup saying BTB is 2.5inch and a standard 172 Cat will fit
So where could I get a cheap 200 cspi Cat to fit. Think too pricey. Back to decat position if noise levels ok

Scuse me for my musings, going off topic a bit

ED: Just seen post above: Noted thanks
Just seen a place in Romford that supplies and fits 2.5 inch 200 cell cat, altho Cat is only £85 (Ebay). seems a bit cheap
May give a call for a chat tho

Last edited:
  monaco 172
I decat mine last year, lasted about a week before I bought a new cat, the noise on motorways was unbearable. But I was running a straight through ktec stealth exhaust, I have now got a centre silencer and cat, makes its just about bearable on everyday driving.

dan's cast offs.
182 exhaust manifold and throw a decat on.

Your enlarged throttle body was a waste of money by the way. No gains from it whatsoever, pisses me off that people who sell them say you will get gains from them.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
182 exhaust manifold and throw a decat on.

Your enlarged throttle body was a waste of money by the way. No gains from it whatsoever, pisses me off that people who sell them say you will get gains from them.

My throttle body was playing up for months- least that got fixed. But enlarged throttle body and matched inlets cant be a step in wrong direction. I will find out on next dyno run. 165bhp on a run with no mods.

Dont think will go to trouble of swapping out exhaust manifolds n stuff- straight to remap by looks.

dan's cast offs.
Manifold is well worth doing. More to gain from that than matched inlets and bigger body that's for sure.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Manifold is well worth doing. More to gain from that than matched inlets and bigger body that's for sure.

I already have a 4:1 manifold, how is the 182 different?
Whatever you put on, cant seem to get above 175bhp without a lot of outlay- so just a map and leave standard Cat on methinks

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Mine did 175 with no mods ? guess each car is different I guess and how strong engine is

Depends which Dyno you use- think some of them are quite "encouraging"
Mine was 165bhp 2 years ago, and not expecting much more before a remap, but just driving better will be great

To be honest, it goes pretty good now, maybe just being greedy. Just a few flat spots at top of rev range
and for all I can tell, it may already have a map on it

Whatever you put on, cant seem to get above 175bhp without a lot of outlay- so just a map and leave standard Cat on methinks

My old one made 179 from just an exhaust and air filter, no remap. It isn’t worth chasing figures on them tbh, it’s all about how they drive

Clio 172 Cup
As above think a lot of its down to timing mine just had belts done and timing set up. Would be interested in the group n timing if you see improvements

dan's cast offs.

It's a 4-2-1 so physics says it's better. And it will give gains.

Pointless looking at figures though as a pretty much standard healthy car can make anything between 165bhp and 190bhp.

I've had them with 197 cams that have struggled to make 180bhp but have still gone like stink and the owners habe been more than happy.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I can't recommend a proper map enough, the RSTuner is just the hardware used to flash the map on and off the ECU, that's used by most tuners who map a car on stock ecu. The off the shelf maps that come from Henk at Fastchips are what are usually bundled with the RSTuner module sold to public. A bespoke map however will make the best of the mods you have.

I recently went to see Carl @bloke for 197 cam timing and then over to Chris at EFi for a remap on the stock ECU and I was one of the happy campers

Car spec is:

- stock engine
- 197 cams timed to suit
- RS2 inlet manifold
- 197 injectors
- 182 exhaust manifold
- pas delete

Mapped on shell vPower

EFI1.jpg

EFI2.jpg

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
In my experience of the RSTuner it definitely improved drivability and made the 4k kick disappear but the availability of the power was consistent throughout the rev range. EFI have a fair few recommendations, the RSTuner is cheap considering, but you can also buy extra modules for airbag, etc so if you swap a seat for a bucket, you can turn the lights on (I got lucky with the one I bought as it had the airbag module already on it so saved me 30 off quid. Also if you decide to get rid...you can get some money back from other people so it is pretty much pay for the calibration map and unlocking code and away you go, then get some money back from your initial outlay.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
now leaning toward Engine dynamics bespoke remap at £200
Enlarge throttle body (Yes Bloke) matched inlets, induction kit, soon to be sports cat (Yes Bloke)

Will leave it at that I think. Maybe 182 manifold (Yes Bloke lol)

monaco 172
If your going to get a 182 manifold and a sports cat why not get the 182 link pipe sports cat and the manifold at the same time and it's a straight bolt on swap then

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Definitely go for the 182 manifold.

Ive seen a few posts on here which suggests the gains of a 182 manifold and sports cat (Apparently the 182 standard cat is a 200 cell cat) are diddly squat

Seems any performance mod on here gets equal measures of positive and negative comments- best just try what suits I think

Clio 172 Cup
Just go with what u like on ur car, I am not chasing anything power wise just a goal of things I wanted to do with my car have it set up properly and running nice

dan's cast offs.
Ive seen a few posts on here which suggests the gains of a 182 manifold and sports cat (Apparently the 182 standard cat is a 200 cell cat) are diddly squat

Seems any performance mod on here gets equal measures of positive and negative comments- best just try what suits I think

proof of the pudding ? red with 172 exhaust manifold, black with 182 manifold.

DARREN GP N 182 MANIFOLD.jpg