ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RStuner RR results

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Had 2 RR runs today, started with the 98 RON Fastchip map I have been using for the last few weeks.

Then had to wait until the end of the group to run again with the standard factory map.

Results were, and take the actual figures with a pinch of salt as this was at Powerstation who have a weird way of working out the wheel power that always seems very low...

Standard map

ATW - 131.8 bhp
ATF calculated - 186.9 bhp
Torque - 203.6Nm

Fastchip map

ATW - 134.2 bhp
ATF calculated - 187.9 bhp
Torque - 207.7Nm

Interestingly there is an 'uncorrected' atf figure and on the standard map it's higher than the Fastchip map...

Overall the fastchip map hasn't really added much power and to be honest I'll probably just stick to the standard map for a week or so and if it really feels no different I'll sell the kit as it's just not worth the extra cost the insurance would be.

I'm not unhappy with the kit, the data logging stuff is great just on it's own but I've not really got a need for that anymore, and I won't be doing any more to the car before I sell it anyway.

Of course the only other thing, as the curves look very similar, and also both (even standard) look different than my last results, is that maybe the standard map didn't go on properly and it was still running the Fastchip map, but can't see how that'd happen.

The car also has matched inlets, SS cat back and an ITG panel.

First graph is standard map, second is remapped.

Last edited:

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
so basically fcuk all difference in real world so a waste of money ?

See I'm not sure, the car has been feeling more lively lately but I've put that down to the crisper temps, I'll run on the standard map for a few weeks to see how it feels. Plus as I said the data logging stuff is pretty decent and I'm sure some people (ok not necessarily Clio owners as we're all tight, but for other more tunable cars...) would probably spend £100 to have this alone.

tbh I only bought the RSTuner kit as it was cheap an thought it was worth testing out, I had said I wasn't going to spend any more on the car as it wasn't worth it but for the hundred odd quid thought I'd try it.

The only differences between the 2 runs were the air temps and that the RR had been moved to acccom the longer cars, then moved back to do me at the end, so thus could have been in a slightly diff position which effects the drag figure I believe.

I've mailed Henk to see what he says, having a power graph now he might be able to do something else to the map for me.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I really do believe there is no point tuning these cars with off the shelf stuff. Cams/bodies, fair enough, but bolt on.............. meh

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I really do believe there is no point tuning these cars with off the shelf stuff. Cams/bodies, fair enough, but bolt on.............. meh

Yeah I agree, although this is kind of in between and not just bolt on as if you send off your logs and stuff they will see if they can tailor the map for you.

I won't be spending any more on engine tuning though as I'll probably be changing it next year and the next step would be 1k+ for some cams.

what mods have you done mate? or just the map?

Mods are custom one off inlet from ClarkieV6, ITG panel and a custom exhaust.

186bhp is a very good figure!

I also take their absolute figure with a pinch of salt, but it should be definitely in the 180s. Someone was saying a better way to work it out was to take their (low) atw figure, add 10 and divde by 0.8. Although mine has always read very well there :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Yeah I agree, although this is kind of in between and not just bolt on as if you send off your logs and stuff they will see if they can tailor the map for you.

I won't be spending any more on engine tuning though as I'll probably be changing it next year and the next step would be 1k+ for some cams.

True. I had GRP N, inlets, maxogen, decat exhaust on my previous 172 Cup. Had a run against it the other week in my standard (bar suspension) 182 It was who ever stepped on the loud pedal first got the edge........

Last edited:
  Megane 2 GT 165
I think peak power gain a minimal, but if you look at the two graphs you see a gain in torque. (@3000rpm is looks like 10Nm)

So for normal driving between 2000 and lets say max 5000 rpm it seems you get some extra torque, which I find a good thing.

Interestingly there is an 'uncorrected' atf figure and on the standard map it's higher than the Fastchip map...

might there been a change in % effectiveness of the transmission? (calculated ofcourse) <-- late already answered :D in above post

RS RIP
yes Felix, more torque..

i saw this too. Got my car Fastcipped and has more torque in midrange

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I think peak power gain a minimal, but if you look at the two graphs you see a gain in torque. (@3000rpm is looks like 10Nm)

So for normal driving between 2000 and lets say max 5000 rpm it seems you get some extra torque, which I find a good thing.

Yup looks like the gains of this map are around the mid range with, as you say, 10Nm increase.

Mk4 .:R32
*jagermeister. tastes like ass but gets you p*ssed quickly. went out at 3.30. going out again in a min. wahhoo

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
And someone just explained the corrected values over on ocuk :0

Results today were high, this is due to 1025mbar air pressure (actual was 1026 on his machine). This is massively high and allows ecus to chuck in much more fuel. Combined with nice cold temps, you get a good result.

We won't even do power work at pressures above 1020mbar as the results are too skewed. 1 atmosphere is 1013mbar, so it's above that.

DIN70020 corrects to 1atmosphere and 20C I think. So today we had more favourable condition and so the corrected results are lower

cant really work out the high figures at the fly , i mean are you really losing that much from the fly down to the wheels .?

my fly to wheels was only 18bhp loss , urs close onto 50 :dapprove:

Something not right there but i suppose the most important bit about this is just so you can compare the before and after.

Just so you can proove remapping a NA not modded engine is a waste of time. But the diagnostics part of the kit is worth the money im still quite interested in it myself

i went to the same place comparing RR from basis and after mods , i gained 13bhp at the wheels from one condition to the next - mods included RS tuning remap , inlets matched , 182 manifold , sports cat , prospeed exhaust .

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
cant really work out the high figures at the fly , i mean are you really losing that much from the fly down to the wheels .?

my fly to wheels was only 18bhp loss , urs close onto 50 :dapprove:

It's powerstations rolers, they are weird and always give a really low ATW figure with massive losses, no idea why and not sure if anyone's ever asked them. But it's well known that their atw figures are wrong, which is silly as that's what's most important :(

i went to the same place comparing RR from basis and after mods , i gained 13bhp at the wheels from one condition to the next - mods included RS tuning remap , inlets matched , 182 manifold , sports cat , prospeed exhaust .

Seeing mine is just really a remap and changed exhaust I reckon it's running about 180ish really, so that's not a bad increase. The 182 mani will have helped your figures if the map took that into account :)

You'll have to unlock it to sell it on.

Yup I know, no biggie though :)

Megane 2 GT 165
Lol now I don't ever want to go on the rollers.

It's powerstations rolers, they are weird and always give a really low ATW figure with massive losses, no idea why and not sure if anyone's ever asked them. But it's well known that their atw figures are wrong, which is silly as that's what's most important :(

Aren't rolling roads measuring the amount of force produced by the wheel on the roller? ATW numbers should be concidered most trustfull numbers, if this is the case. I know they can vary with changing tyre pressure, but this just seems odd to me.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh, had an explanation from one of the chaps at powerstation as to what their atw figures are...

The @ the wheels figure is an IN DYNO at the wheel figure not a road wheel figure.
The wheel (tyre actually if you want to be pedantic) is not only being pinched in between two rollers, you are also doubling it's normal contact patch which again increases drag.