ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

group N cam timing

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Carl that's ideal :)
I will load up my old map for bodies and engine dynamics cams to get the car running then get it mapped from there.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hi bloke,
Are 197 injectors a must for this application? I have a new set of OE 172 injectors and want to try group N timing and mapping.
Thanks

dan's cast offs.
Better spray pattern on the 197 injectors and they don't need scaling back as much as the megane ones do.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Will grp n timing affect the reliability? I want to try it on my Clio and if it will run fine keep it as a daily car.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
My latest power run with group n timing and jenvey bodies , we ended up fitting larger injectors to be safe.

One issue I am having is poor running below 2000 rpm , no matter what fuel and timing the car hesitates . As soon as the car is over 2000 rpm it clears and pulls perfect , one theory is fuel drop out in the inlet due to low air speed. Ive ran this same set up on an old engine bar the cam timing and never had this issue, guessing with the timing change I may have valve overlap ??

20190722_203250.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I would need to ask the mapper but I know it would not change no matter what he did , as soon as it was over 2k it cleared we also tried it with the dephaser disconnected and at different switch points.
Not an issue on track just while moving about in the pits.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I think you're bang on with the low port velocity, I'm having the same issue at the moment on the micra with some wild cams and a big port head

RSPez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RB 182
My latest power run with group n timing and jenvey bodies , we ended up fitting larger injectors to be safe.

One issue I am having is poor running below 2000 rpm , no matter what fuel and timing the car hesitates . As soon as the car is over 2000 rpm it clears and pulls perfect , one theory is fuel drop out in the inlet due to low air speed. Ive ran this same set up on an old engine bar the cam timing and never had this issue, guessing with the timing change I may have valve overlap ??

View attachment 1428675

Im assuming this is wheel power,
How dose it feel to drive now? Any video’s of it on idle?

Pez

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Yes power at the wheels

Feels good, with good pull through the rev range , different to drive as now on a seq gearbox.
I dont have any idle videos but it idles smooth at around 900 rpm.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Jenvey 48's

Had this same issue both on standard injectors and peco 480 injectos which have a narrower spray pattern.

In the past i have ran this set up of bodies,ecu,exhaust , on a standard engine , standard engine with ED cams , high comp engine with ED cams and we have never had this issue.

20190509_140742.jpg

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Bloke, since now you've done lots of group n engines and see dyno runs, whats your opinion on them compared to 197 cams? In terms of power and idle.
I am asking because I have a pair of 197 cams and I need to remove the rocker cap for reseal.
Cheers

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I
Jenvey 48's

Had this same issue both on standard injectors and peco 480 injectos which have a narrower spray pattern.

In the past i have ran this set up of bodies,ecu,exhaust , on a standard engine , standard engine with ED cams , high comp engine with ED cams and we have never had this issue.

View attachment 1428777
Have same setup as you. Jenvey 48mm, group N timing, I'm on meg225 injectors, 182 manifold, gen90 ECU, with a super light flywheel and mine does not hesitate or murmer under 2k. Idles ok at 1000rpm under that it very lumpy and I got sick of people saying that doesnt sound very well, so I upped it.
I can't honestly see why yours would do it?

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I think who you take it to really matters when mapping is concerned. EFI is the dogs b****cks for Renault, hands down and Chris is a very helpful guy who will explain anything you want you know.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Chuck the 197 cams in and set them to group n timing.
For me is a little problem. I already have paid for a group n mapping at efi and for a 197 map also from efi. The 197 one is only inlet advanced. To pay another map is a little too much at this moment.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I think who you take it to really matters when mapping is concerned. EFI is the dogs b****cks for Renault, hands down and Chris is a very helpful guy who will explain anything you want you know.

I fully agree with this but the guy that does my mapping has mapped the car 3 times in the past under different states of tune with no issues.
Its not really as issue as out on track never below 2000 rpm any way just in the pits it can be a bit jerky not helped by the gearbox.

dan's cast offs.
Jenvey 48's

no real reason why it should be bad low down? no air leaks on the spindles? also what injectors you running?

Can you do that? Same tool? As what we got from Northloop?

not sure exactly what mark's are done to but should be fine.

For me is a little problem. I already have paid for a group n mapping at efi and for a 197 map also from efi. The 197 one is only inlet advanced. To pay another map is a little too much at this moment.

it's already been mapped?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
it's already been mapped?
Well, Chris gave me an map for group N to suit my modifications.
I bought an ecu from here that is supposed to be for 197 cams in 172 engine, 7 deg advanced.
The only thing I know for sure is that the map from Chris is genuine for group N on stock cams.
This is why I really did not know what to do, use 197 cams with inlet advanced or use the group N.
From dyno runs group N has a better torque.
But if 197 cams with group N timing works the best, I will buy another map.

Cheers

RSPez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RB 182
Right guys. Question for you.
I can't afford to have Group N timing done when my belts are done so is it possible to have it done at a later date with out having to change the belts again?

Serious question I don't know the answer to so please be gentle with me 😳.

Thanks
Pez

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Right guys. Question for you.
I can't afford to have Group N timing done when my belts are done so is it possible to have it done at a later date with out having to change the belts again?

Serious question I don't know the answer to so please be gentle with me 😳.

Thanks
Pez
You can, but it is not recommended. You have not to release the tensioner, just undo the pulleys bolts and re align them.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I wont lie to you m8. It's just a case of putting in a different tool in to your cam end slots when you retime the engine.
Theres no tricks to it. The whole process of changing the belt,dephaser,water pump is exactly the same.
The extra cost comes from needing to get your engine mapped for the new timing.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Just save some more cash and get it all done at once. Tip: if you are doing it get a 182 manifold and get your inlets ported matched and use the Jtec induction setup. You'll see over 190bhp and over 160lbs. Do it once do it right

RSPez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RB 182
Just save some more cash and get it all done at once. Tip: if you are doing it get a 182 manifold and get your inlets ported matched and use the Jtec induction setup. You'll see over 190bhp and over 160lbs. Do it once do it right

Thanks.
Yeah I know about the inlets ect.
My car already has some kind of Fattys induction kit, exhaust and Remap by EFi.
Currently at 183 bhp and 163 Ib

IL just wait and collect all the bits I want :)

Thanks
Pez