ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RT on cam

:oops:

i donno?!?!?!

ok i hear ppl going on about valver coming on cam etc at certain revs.

im guessing this is the same with all cars?!?

if so what do ppl find the RT cuts in its (elastic band powered) Power?!?

mines normally 3K change at 4.5/5K +

prob wont get many replies, but worth a query.

Well, peak power on my 1.2 is about 3.5k..

On Cam, I believe, is on every car.. its just better than others..

power band starts at bout 4 - 4.5k on my valver

on twin cams aint one cam for inlet valves and the 2nd for zorst valves? as 16 valves would be a VERY tight fit on a single cam?

i heard something bout a cam kicking in on the honda Vtecs, dont they have 3 sets of cams or something??

On cam is a just a point in the revs where the cams and engien efficience in getting air an fuel into the engine increases.

You can come on cam without VVT etc its just a point where the cams become more efficient.

Quote: Originally posted by NaplesValver on 18 June 2004

is it not when the second cam of atwin cam 16v starts workin too???

-->NV
No, both cams spin at the same rate all the time, they are both connected via the cam belt. On cam means when the peak powerband kicks in and you feel the effect of the cam profile

182, GTR, C63

5k on my cup is where the torque is working hard and power isnt really noticable. under 5k it accelerates with certain force then over 5k it accelerates suprisingly more than youd expect but after 7000 rpm theres no point holding on.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Takes 16v engines a little longer to get to the optimum point for air/fuel to create the best power. They have 16 valves but are smaller than the valves on an 8v engine. IE when you open an 8v up is should be letting pretty much all of the air/fuel in imediatley. But the 8v runs out of puff earlier and cost it. Also the 16v is more efficiently timed.

All 16v are DOHC and use one for inlet and one for outlet, I believe you can have 2 different profile cams to do something, would assume one is to free up exhaust gasses more efficiently?

VVT I believe is to optimise low range power and top end power, IE keeps the delivery smooth at nearly any revs.

Williams should hit 85% of full power at 2,500 rpms so no need to wait for 4k!

insignia

You wont really notice anything in a normal 1.4 or 1.6 at any revs except that at 3.5k upwars ia better for over taking. But if you ever go in a valver/williams/172/182 the sound of the engine changes and there is instantly more power at your disposal

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 19 June 2004

Takes 16v engines a little longer to get to the optimum point for air/fuel to create the best power. They have 16 valves but are smaller than the valves on an 8v engine. IE when you open an 8v up is should be letting pretty much all of the air/fuel in imediatley. But the 8v runs out of puff earlier and cost it. Also the 16v is more efficiently timed.
All 16v are DOHC and use one for inlet and one for outlet, I believe you can have 2 different profile cams to do something, would assume one is to free up exhaust gasses more efficiently?
16V heads are better deigned for getting more fuel and air into and out of the piston so more power although there usually high up power engine rather than 8V ones.

16V engine dont have to be twin Cam although it does help produce more power but youd not notice much unless. Twin cams just mean that the cams are right above the valves so shouldnt move as much so at high revs keep with the intended power. The 1.2 Clio is a single cam 16V engine. Twin cams is just associated with high power although you could get almost as much power out of single cam engines and were talkin about higly tunned engines anyway.