ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running costs and stuff to look for on Clio 172's (both phase 1 and 2)

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Might be going to view a few soon, seen a couple of bargains but wanna ensure I don't get a dog if any are worth persuing...

Interested in running costs for parts, labour, servicing, consumables etc.

Also interested more so in things to look for specifically, ways to tell if somethings on its way out and general pointers to making sure I find a good car and not one which is gonna cost me a packet because I won't have hundreds spare per month to maintain the thing really :(

Thanks for any help and guidance :)

Dave

iceberg 172
mines doing about 32mpg on local runs and no heavy right foot. done about 10miles to 30quid. mine a ph2

Clio 172 cup
the same question has already been asked approx 1.3 billion times so do a search

but generally make sure

1, belts have been done
2, has good service history
3, engine mounts are ok
4, backbox isnt rotten
5, rear wheel bearings are ok
6, gearbox is smooth and doesnt jump out of gear
7, clutch bite isnt really high
8, its hpi clear

good luck

Nothing at the mo :(
the same question has already been asked approx 1.3 billion times so do a search

but generally make sure

1, belts have been done
3, engine mounts are ok
4, backbox isnt rotten
8, its hpi clear

good luck

I brought my 182 with all this checked :)

Getting belts done on tuesday

Golf GTD Mk7

but generally make sure

1, belts have been done
3, engine mounts are ok
4, backbox isnt rotten
8, its hpi clear

good luck

whats that a sign of? knackered box?

Check service history for defo. MPG should be in the mid thirtys.

Clio 172 cup
whats that a sign of? knackered box?

Check service history for defo. MPG should be in the mid thirtys.

Yes its common knowledge that gearboxs in all 172/182s are made of dogpoo and if used harshly they last 3-4 days

on a serious note the gearbox is the worst part of the car and a common failure, check that it engages ever gear smoothly with no crunching, 3rd gear syncro is the most common problem and popping out of 3rd gear are the first signs when driven hard, running the gearbox low on oil and having a worn dogbone mount also lessens the life of the box

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Ta for the replies guys, I best get searching too lol. Be interested if any local bods would come with me look at any cars I see as I'm no mechanic but just wanna compile a list of things I wanna ensure I check when viewing any cars :)

AK

M240i
Knows...'quarter milli' son..me and the 'big yin' were mixin it up down the back roads to Peebles one night when i 'ran out of talent'..ooft..

Is that a hair dryer, oh no wait its Arif's Clito ;)

LOL your just jealous of my slit attracting potential in the clio ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Knows...'quarter milli' son..me and the 'big yin' were mixin it up down the back roads to Peebles one night when i 'ran out of talent'..ooft..

Is that a hair dryer, oh no wait its Arif's Clito ;)

Bar Stool with Hair Dryer attatched?

:cool:

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Ta for the heads up all.

Just deciding if a Phase 2 is worth me getting a small loan to help me out or a Phase 1 will do.. much prefer phase 2 interior though lol