ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in

Do i need to run my 172 in or is it done on the bench b4 i get it?

The book says dont go above a certain amount of revs and a top speed is this necessary ?

( hope not i went over both on way back but have kept it staed since )

Also i bought an import and rang renault uk to ask about warranty and they said ok no problem i have 3 years and can take it to any dewalership (sounds too good to b true!)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well, I am a firm believer in running things in and when I got my Cup 4 weeks ago I did run it in gently initially...

Renault recommend running in for 1000kms/625 miles and thats just what I did.

Then, I ran the 1/4 mile in it at Santa Pod last weekend and it ran a 15.0 flat with only 1250 miles on the clock, a full weight car, in stupidly hot weather and with a boot full of stuff, so thats quick and no other Cup or 172 that ran last weekend got a better time and I matched VTEC Abusers CTR.

Nailing it from new will not do your engine life much good, my mate nailed his from only 8 miles on the clock and now at 52k miles it sounds like a diesel on cold startup and the gearbox is f*cked!

If you run the car in well and latter wait for the engine to be warm before you thrash it will go better alltough it will take longer to have the maximum power I would count on at least 7000 miles

But you wont regret it, the engine will bemuch smoother and will pull better in the long run, mine now pulls all the way to 145 mph on the clock and accelerates like hell, also change the oil after 3k miles and put good oil in it

Lee

BMW M2C

What Rich-D says. :D I once had a guy who build engines explain this to me, and Ill always run an engine in from now on.

I ran mine in for the recommended 625 miles, the gave it more each day until I hit 1000 miles where I started to drive it how I normally do.

Mk5 R32 (ex.182 (Cupped))

For around 1k miles? Shocking! :eek:

Ive got 1300miles on mine now, still being careful with it :D

Ive got an import waiting at Motorpoint, they said Ive only got a 2 year warranty and even that started ticking once Id paid for the car, once I actually get it they claim Ill only have a year and 10 months. Is this true or do I have the full 3 years?

2012 WRX Waggon

my dealer - reno manchester, told me to take it easy for a 100 miles, then to drive as u would normally.

Quote: Originally posted by Swiss172 on 15 August 2003

If you run the car in well and latter wait for the engine to be warm before you thrash it will go better alltough it will take longer to have the maximum power I would count on at least 7000 miles

But you wont regret it, the engine will bemuch smoother and will pull better in the long run, mine now pulls all the way to 145 mph on the clock and accelerates like hell, also change the oil after 3k miles and put good oil in it
Isnt the whole idea that the engine should have mineral oil in [until first service] so that it can be run in correctly? Modern fully synth oil causes virtually zero engine wear so it wont run in as it should?

Perhaps its all bollox and they want you to take a month to run it in before you notice its underpowered and reject it?

Ok thnx guys ill probably just take it a bit easy from now on i havent been going mad but have had the odd manic moment though ! (only on 325miles so far hope i havent caused any damage.)

As for warranty andrewm i got an import and then rang renault uk they said no problem full 2 years warranty and registered it on their system 4 me but i still wont be convinced untill they actually have to fix something on it ! (oh yeah and my dealer said only 6 months and woudnt garantee renault would honour the warranty)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by andrewm on 15 August 2003

Ive got an import waiting at Motorpoint, they said Ive only got a 2 year warranty and even that started ticking once Id paid for the car, once I actually get it they claim Ill only have a year and 10 months. Is this true or do I have the full 3 years?
Yep, thats true although you should have the balance of 3 years not 2.

The warranty starts as soon as the car hits the road in the country of origin. I lost 2 months on mine as it also came from Motorpoint.

By the way, did you ask which country your car came from? As I hear they are now getting cars from Cyprus. These only have 1 year on them.

[Edit] Mine has been in for warranty work twice. The dealer didnt care where the car was from. Just fixed it, and made me a coffee while I waited:D

Mine is from cyprus but renault said it was valid until 2006 i lost about 6 months worth of warranty .

but it is uk registered if that amkes any diff

Lee

BMW M2C

You might want to double check that.

Renault have a habit of getting it wrong. Until Cyprus enters the EU its 1 year. Only cars from within the EU are eligable for the full 1 year manufacturer, 2 year dealer one.

I called Renault and was told my car from Holland only had a year and cars from Cyprus get 3. So I waited, called back and got told the complete opposite!!!

If you do a search on here for posts by Jeremy Townsend youll find it from a Renault employee. He will be able to clear it up for sure.

Cheers ill double check

But how will they know were its from cause it was uk registered and when i gave the chasis number no reg came up cause its a non eu import

probably a dumb question but if it is now registered at renault uk maybe they may not bother to check its origin ?

Lee

BMW M2C

I think they know from the VIN number which country the car was destined for.

Seeing as they have already made a mistake Id keep quiet. If when it comes to warranty time they kick up a fuss then Id start arguing. As you say, now its on the system they probably wont bother to do any more checks :D

Thats brilliant lee, I should assume that because its a mark 2, renault wont ask wether it was bought after Oct 2000. I will keep this to hand, motorpoint want to relieve me of 450 notes for the extended warranty, gap insurance, rac cover and key cover. All of a sudden that 11,999 for a 172 suddenly becomes much more. Especially when it cost £300 for a thatcham approved alarm.

What a useful forum!

Lee

BMW M2C

This forums has helped me out no end. Now get your membership sent off ;)

They will know all they need to know from the VIN number. As soon as I got mine I called Reno customer support and got the car on the sytem.

I just paid for the car and the alarm, nothing else.

Sounds like a good un, lets hope motorpoint were right when they said it was from holland, ill look a right tit if its from cyprus. You dont know which bit of the chassis number tells you where the cars from? ive got the number in front of me right now.

Ok guys, I bought my 172 from motornation on import last year (02 plate) the car was imported from Holland but motornation relieved my of about £350 for an extra 2 years warranty! I spoke to my nearest garage (renault solihull) and they confirmed that it was covered for 3 years with renault, year 1 manufactuers and years 2/3 dealer but years 2/3 they check on the renault system to see if the fault is listed if it is there are figures listed on how much renault will pay for and how much we have to depending on the fault!!!

I am going to speak to renault customer services on monday and clear up the matter, i will then speak to motornation and get the extra 2years warranty i paid for changed to when the renault warranty runs out, 5 years warranty then, hopefully............

i have spoken to renault sutton and they said the same as renault solihull, they also said that if the car is serviced regularly by a dealer and travels average mileage (10 - 12k per year) then it stands a better chance of renault paying up for all of the warranty work and not a certain percentage!

I will post back on monday when i have rang renault customer services.

Lee

BMW M2C

Thats what I was told zac. Sutton Park have had my car in twice for warranty work and are fine with it being an import.

Ive got a scanned copy of exactly what the warranty covers if you would like to me to put it up? (thanks griff_90)

The 2nd and 3rd year are dealer warranty, so less covered and Renault will only contibute to the cost of certain repairs.

VaVa

I nearly brought a 172 from motorpoint (Derby) and the guy there stated that the car came from cyprus and had only one years warranty. Imports also come without the Cat 1 alarm, so not only do you have to fork out extra for another years warranty, you also have to fork out for an alarm!!

Also when you buy from motorpoint, you are the second owner of the car, although Im not sure how much of an issue that is.

Ive ended up ordering a UK car with all the benefits that comes with it (3yrs, AA , alarm) cheaper than an import from motorpoint. But Ive got to wait until October:(.

Lee

BMW M2C

When I bought mine in March I couldnt wait as I was without a car, plus dealers werent getting anywhere near the price I payed.

I just had to pay for the alarm, and Id already got AA cover, so it worked out okay for me.

Oi, have you been rooting round my albums? I assume youve seen the car stereo Im putting in it then? :) I really should have moved the picture to my own server before posting it.

Doesnt everyone take a picture of the coolant bottle too? ;) The reason I took loads of photos was:

Because I could!
If any dent/scratch were to appear on it when I collect it, Ive got proof it was mint when I saw it.
I wouldnt see the car for another 4 weeks and I might forget what it looked like!

Okay, I rang a couple of Renault dealers (namely Renault Manchester and Renault Bolton) to check on the warranty status of my car.

I gave them my chassis number and was told by Bolton that I had less than a year to run on my warranty (not what I wanted to hear), but when I spoke to Manchester, they told me I had the full 3 years! I even got the woman to repeat the chassis number I gave to make sure there were no mistakes. So which dealer do I believe?

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 16 August 2003

I nearly brought a 172 from motorpoint (Derby) and the guy there stated that the car came from cyprus and had only one years warranty. Imports also come without the Cat 1 alarm, so not only do you have to fork out extra for another years warranty, you also have to fork out for an alarm!!

Also when you buy from motorpoint, you are the second owner of the car, although Im not sure how much of an issue that is.

Ive ended up ordering a UK car with all the benefits that comes with it (3yrs, AA , alarm) cheaper than an import from motorpoint. But Ive got to wait until October:(.
I checked out Motorpoint in Derby last december. they had a second hand 172MkII 6 months old for £11990. it had 15000 miles on it!!!! They wouldnt let me test drive it and it had no warranty on it as it hadnt had its 12000 service. Got brand new from dealership in Burton, but had to wait 2 months.