ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ's next Ph1 - 172 Exclusive

172monaco*&*passat
yer it got some good times on york dragway last i seen it, it also had borbets fitted and looked really smart... i will keep a eye on this..

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers dude, getting there! :)

Well I popped down my mates last night and collected my old engine (And a ph2 I bought a while back) and I had a spare half hour now so Iv stripped off most of the ancilleries, cambelt cover, belt, clutch - few other bits.

2012-08-04171630.jpg

2012-08-04171637.jpg

Just deciding weather to pop the sump off and check bearing shells for damage, or pop the head off.

I Really need to clean my garage up, it used to look like this (And I thought this was untidy lol) :

2012-03-25165837.gif

And it now looks like this:

2012-08-04171658.jpg

2012-08-04171705.jpg

If you look closely, you will see my work bench is piled high with bits too - I could probably build another Clio with all that lot :eek:

53 Clio's & counting
I decided to crack on and whip the sump off and check the bottom end, but unfortunately when the sump was repaired, whoever did the repair looked as if they used about 3000 tubes of sealent, and did the sump bolts up so tight that most have rounded the heads off :(

I have managed to get all but 7 off by using brute force, a small socket and a hammer, but have admitted defeat tonight and will have a fresh go tomorrow

clio sport
my so called mate put the sump back on sounds like he did a s**t job he wont be going near the s3 thats for sure

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah dude, don't let him near a car again - he wrecked the engine:

So I decided to pop the sump off, and have a look for the damage before I pulled the head off, just in case it was something simple.......

It started with getting the 7 rounded bolts off, which came off with the use of a chisel, and pulling the rest of them out I noticed a large amount of sealent on the bolts.

This was the repair on the sump:

2012-08-05120043.jpg

Once I pulled off the sump, I found more metal filings, and a load more sealent :banghead:

2012-08-05120122.jpg

And then I looked at the oil pick up pipe:

2012-08-05120141.jpg

2012-08-05120212.jpg

This is a piece of metal I pulled out of the pick up pipe:

2012-08-05120207.jpg

And here is the amount of the sealent that came out of the pick up pipe - I put it next to a spare idle control valve to show much much came out:

2012-08-05121411.jpg

Due to this, I wasn't expecting the big end shells to be looking particluarly great.

2 3 had had some slight scoring:

2012-08-05140847.jpg

2012-08-05140937.jpg

But one had span the shells:

2012-08-05135926.jpg

2012-08-05135934.jpg

2012-08-05140043.jpg

2012-08-05140056.jpg

And left a nice big mark on the crank:

2012-08-05140205.jpg

The other 2 looked pretty much like the first:

2012-08-05140856.jpg

2012-08-05140904.jpg

After that, I popped the sump back on with a few bolts, flipped the engine back over, and popped the top off to check the state of the rockers and cams:

2012-08-05145350.jpg

2012-08-05145356.jpg

2012-08-05145408.jpg

2012-08-05145414.jpg

2012-08-05145420.jpg

This is where I gave up today, though the week at some point il whip the head off and have a look at the rest of it, so far it seems some can be saved which is at least some consellation :)

53 Clio's & counting
I did 400 odd miles with it rattling it's ass off, was expecting it to blow up but it somehow carried on lol

53 Clio's & counting
Lol cheers mate, to be honest the taking apart is easy, it's the putting back together properly thats the important bit - I will be building a new one for mine at a slow pace, so il see if I can re-use anything off this one before I scrap/sell off all the useable bits.

53 Clio's & counting
Il have a go this week, and see if I can clean the crank up - as long as that big mark comes out im pretty confident it can be re-used, but I won't know until I have looked poperly.

Little ends felt 'ok' as far as I could tell, and the bores look ok from below, but I only had a spare hour to strip it as far as I did, il put a bit more time into it this week, and see how well it cleans up :)

Im half temped to pop off the head, rebuild the bottom end getting it all balanced and ARP'd, find a ph1 head, build that up properly with some better valves and a bit of fettling and have a nice engine to drop in mine if I can't find any more horsepower out of the cheap one I put in

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Other than the head fettling, thats the spec in my mrs 172 now, rebuild with uprated rod bolts, head studs, and valves, and otherwise all standard bits internally.

Sensible spec IMHO, and only around a grand or so to do in total.

53 Clio's & counting
Glad i'm thinking right lol, though this engine works, so it would be a slow build - im not going to rip it out now just because it's not as quick as it should be, but it would be nice to have a higher specification engine, that is built more for reliability that I can have as and when :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ARP and supertech wont gain you a single bhp in themselves, but they will help it last longer at high rpm which will allow you to use hotter cams fruitfully.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ps

197 cams are looking like a great cheap upgrade, our AFR has jumped up a whole point (ie from 12.8 to 13.8) on the latest engine build and only performance mods done were those cams and a 182 manifold (and im sure the manifold did nothing at the top end realistically as the 172 one is great at high revs anyway)
Should see about 8-10bhp extra hopefully based on the AFR change (although things dont always work as expected of course!)

53 Clio's & counting
Funnily enough that was something i was looking into, you might remember me talking about it when we were looking at your rack bushes - just need to find some lol

Megane r26
Just read through the whole thread, making good progress there russ.

Can't believe the state the so called "mate" made of the original engine, gives us mechanics a bad name. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

p.s I can certainly agree with your first post about having an addiction when it comes to clios, think I need help too :eek:

53 Clio's & counting
Nice Russ :) Cars coming along

cheers mate :D

Childs swing? Awesome! ;)

Gotta keep little man in shape ;)

Just read through the whole thread, making good progress there russ.

Can't believe the state the so called "mate" made of the original engine, gives us mechanics a bad name. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

p.s I can certainly agree with your first post about having an addiction when it comes to clios, think I need help too :eek:

Yup, tis a shame it happened mate - it could have been a simple mistake, but whatever the reason, it ended in :(

Oh, and RE my Clio addiction, iv just bought another :eek: thats Renaultsport number 8 or 9 :eek:

Cheers mate, front section will be added in time :)

Megane r26
Yup, tis a shame it happened mate - it could have been a simple mistake, but whatever the reason, it ended in :(

Oh, and RE my Clio addiction, iv just bought another :eek: thats Renaultsport number 8 or 9

Yeah I guess you win some you lose some.

Haha fairplay i'm on my 3rd in just under 3 years started with a ph2 172 which I spent a fortune on an loved every minute, 2nd 197 that was a good car but lacked the ph2 buzz an now just brought a trophy. Currently trying to convert the missus haha

53 Clio's & counting
And iv just bought another Ph1 :eek:

Planning on getting the metal this coming week to make up the plates for the cage, then get it in the car over the next week or two :)