ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rusty Torsion Bar...

Hi people, Im taking my car to a garage tomorrow to have my torsion bar lowered. I have taken the dust caps off and given my torsion bar a blast with WD40 to make the job easier for the garage.

Can anyone tell me if my torsion bar (rustyest side pictured below) is going to be too rusty for the garage to be able to get it out and lower my rear end.

http://www.nfbr.dsl.pipex.com/rustybar.jpg

Thanks guys :) It was 4 times as rusty as that when i first got the dust covers off it !

i used some WD40 and my dads "dental scraper" thingies to get as much of the rust off as i can. Just hope they can lower it for me tomorrow morning :) (and i hope they dont charge me too much)

Also i got a knocking that sounds like its coming from something near the bulkhead but it only does it when im setting off. You know how sometimes you dont give it enough fuel when letting the clutch out. Not sure if its anything serious, Just wondering if anyone knows what it could be?

Engine mount? Steering/suspension component?

Should be pretty easy to see whats going on with the 1.4 Enery lump in the engine bay (I used to have a Mk1 1.2).

Just checked all the engine mounts over. All are now set to the torque specified in my haynes manual and the knocking is still going. I know its not stearing related as i dont get any noise when i stear.

It cant be the Bearings or the balljoints as the car had new ones fitted just weeks before i purchased it.

Theres no way you can tell how siezed they are just by looking at them. Chances are if they havnt ever been out then they will be pretty tight-with a decent size slide hammer (I use a driveshaft puller-works a treat) you can get almost any bars out.

WD will help but its got nowhere to go untill you start to move the bar and it can seep in. Helps if your garage has done them before then they will have a good idea how to shift em!

Yeah im pretty sure theyve done torsion bars before as they said straight away yeah sure we can do it. N they said theyd take a look at it first to see how hard or how easy it will be before they do it. So they must have some insite on how to do it.

I just hope they can do it for me as im fed up of seeing my car looking like a 4x4 off road thing.

I dont have any axel stands or a jack. Or a decent wheel wrench that i dont have to break my arms to use.

Having a go at it myself will unfortunately only lead to one thing...
Total loss of Pre-tension. lol.

Loss of pre-tension = about a million quid or a new car. Ive got a good trolley jack. only problem is its at my grandads in blackpool (100 miles away)

I will be lowering 55mm after ive got a load of other mods done (including new wheels) Eventually i want it lowered 55mm on new springs n shocks.

For the moment, just front springs are being replaced, and my mates gona try find me some Clio Van shocks :)

Well their goes the idea of getting my car lowered. The garage i took it to cant lower my torsion bar cos the bushes have to be destroyed to remove the bars. Funny cos when i looked in my haynes manual i never even saw any bushes on the splined part of the torsion bar or any connected to it.

DOES ANYONE LIVE IN OLDHAM AND KNOW WHAT GARAGE WILL DO A TORSION BAR LOWERING????????????????????????????????????????

Driving round in an Off Roader is becoming far beyond a joke.