ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RX8 190 Against Clio182



As above how do the two cars compare perfomance wise.My mate at works just bought one.we are meant to be going a cruise will i be left behind?
 

bill

ClioSport Club Member
  535d / t5 caravelle
Think its more than likely that he'll get LEFT STANDING, i dont think you have anything to worry about mate , just make sure you remember to stop every couple of miles so your mate can catch up! ;)
 
  MINI JCW
According to autocar the 228 version does 0-60 in 7.1 (6.3) & 0-100 in 18.1 (17.0)

The figures in brackets are for the 182, so shouldnt be a problem really
 
my next door neighbour has an rx8. she took me out for a spin in it and, nice as they are, there is not the same lift out of them as an rs clio. rotary engine sounds like an electric lawn mower. also, oil levels in them need topped up every couple of tank fills of petrol. i don't think you have much need to worry.
 

Jeff simply

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Sound like a hair dryer and have no concept of torque, if you like to rev your engines before you move, the RX8 is for you ;) Oh, and good for those with shares in Shell. 19mpg at best !!
 
  Clio Cup
I drove the higher power one once and thought it was a bloody good handling car and it revved like a motorbike with a lovely gearchange.
 
  182FF c/w Recaros
My boss has the 228bhp RX8 so i'm hoping we'll get together for a heads up some time:D

He has no idea how fast the 182 is and think's he'll give me a wooping:rolleyes:.

i told him it'll be the wrong side of 100mph before he starts to see me in his rear view:evil:
 
  ex Clio 172 owner :(
I had a tussle with a 228 and was nothing in it at all. I stuck to his bumper like glue in my mk2 172.
That was a rolling start in second gear from about 30 up to 90 ish on my own personal track of course.
 
  Clio Cup
The good thing about those rx8 is that depreciation is their middle name, you could probably have one for the price of a trophy and a prereg one for the price of a 197.
 

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Richy123 said:
I drove the higher power one once and thought it was a bloody good handling car and it revved like a motorbike with a lovely gearchange.
A friend of mine has a 230, it's a 54 plate and cost him the best part of 18 gees 3 months ago. I drove it and have to agree with the above, shame my mate can't drive it for sh!t. He doesn't have a clue how to change gear.

I reckon my Clio would have the edge in the straights but the RX8 would definately be clawing it back in the corners.

The biggest thing for me though was a car worth 6k is as quick as a car costing 3 times as much. That's VFM in my eyes.
 
  172 mk2 Iceberg
i found the low hp version couldnt keep up .....
Then i took the owner out in the clio....
He was gutted as he,d just spent 18.5k
But his looks nicer
 
R

rich[182]

DNP182 said:
my next door neighbour has an rx8. she took me out for a spin in it and, nice as they are, there is not the same lift out of them as an rs clio. rotary engine sounds like an electric lawn mower. also, oil levels in them need topped up every couple of tank fills of petrol. i don't think you have much need to worry.
Makes me laugh re. the topping up of oil issue on the RX8, If you had to do that with the Clio everyone would take the piss and say french crap, but its deemed acceptable with the Mazda for some bizarre reason, having to do that for a car engine in 2006 is laughable imho
 

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've driven the 230 model. Quite surreal with an rpm band that seems to go on for enternity. Extremely smooth power delivery - hardly any whiff of turbo lag at all. However, I suspect for any RX8 driver to have a decent chance against a 172 or 182, they would have to know the car intimately and keep those turbos spooled up.

In any case, just have a tussle for 10 minutes and the RX8 will have to stop for petrol anyway. ;)

D.
 

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Darren S said:
I've driven the 230 model. Quite surreal with an rpm band that seems to go on for enternity. Extremely smooth power delivery - hardly any whiff of turbo lag at all. However, I suspect for any RX8 driver to have a decent chance against a 172 or 182, they would have to know the car intimately and keep those turbos spooled up.

In any case, just have a tussle for 10 minutes and the RX8 will have to stop for petrol anyway. ;)

D.
You're getting a little confused mate. Both 190 and 230 engines are N/A 1300cc wankel engines. No turbo's are involved.
I agree on the front that you have to know the engine but they are a good car, they just need a tad more power.
 
There's no turbo in the RX-8. I had some geezer give it the large on the way home from work - thing is no one was going anywhere as it was rush hour driving out of Portsmouth.
 
  Clio 172 mk2
RX8 definately not as potent as the old RX7 but still quick

Don't think you'll be left behind though
 
  182 FF Cup options
I broke an rx8 on the way to work one day last week. I pulled away from it and he was ragging that car to try and keep up, and there was no chance. Not sure what model it was, but it must have been the 190. I also had a play with an audi a3 2.0 fsi sport last night. I let him overtake and he nailed it, so i just sat on his bumper. he was thrashing it with the back end wobbling, and i was 3 quarter throttle right on his tail. The clio was soooo much quicker i had to laugh as his audi was an 06 and must of set him back 18k, against my 8k clio LOL i love it :)
 

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
len_beach said:
You're getting a little confused mate. Both 190 and 230 engines are N/A 1300cc w*nkel engines. No turbo's are involved.
I agree on the front that you have to know the engine but they are a good car, they just need a tad more power.
LOL - what a bell-end I am! :D

I was 99.9% sure it was turbo'd, just like the older RX7. It even felt like it was turbo'd. Now that I know that, I'm actually more impressed by it!

Cheers for the correction guys...

D.
 
  R5gtt, 182, volvo...
rich172 said:
Makes me laugh re. the topping up of oil issue on the RX8, If you had to do that with the Clio everyone would take the piss and say french crap, but its deemed acceptable with the Mazda for some bizarre reason, having to do that for a car engine in 2006 is laughable imho
civic type R is the same.. my mate used to burn loads of oil each month but i guess it needs it with the red line on them
 
  RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Also interesting is the RX-8 power issue.

In US, they were specified with 247hp at first, later they corrected the power to 238hp, but there is still a number of owners who claim they got as low as 180hp ATW on RR.

Otherwise, the Wankel unit in RX-8 is extremely tight when new, later when it puts on some miles, it's supposed to get much looser and gives considerably better performance than new.

All in all, non-turbo Wankel pretty much sucks balls, it's torqueless and sounds pathetic. Disregarding the engine issue, the RX-8 is an awsome car. It looks great and handles even better. The weight distribution is spot on, the engine is set behind the front axle and it's around 45kg lighter than an equivalent aluminium V6 power plant. The suspension is supposed to be on the soft side, but it not an all out racer like the RX-7 anyway.

Anyway, it's a nice car, but i'd rather have a 350Z. Screw those backsits.
 
  cock mobile.
dangerous dave said:
civic type R is the same.. my mate used to burn loads of oil each month but i guess it needs it with the red line on them
Can be dependent on the particular engine, and what oil you use, but yer my Honda does enjoy drinking the oil as much as the petrol :S
 
  MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I had a few hours test drive in a RX8 231 and it was a nice place to sit well put together and I liked the sound of the engine at really high revs. The one I had a drive in had only a few miles 50 ish so felt really tight. But, the power did not feel as raw or ready as the 182.
Lovely car, and if they brought one out with a little more power I would really think hard about getting one. From the one I drove you won’t have a problem keeping up.

Certainly not up 90 anyway.
 
I had a brief encouter with an RX-8 in my williams. Was a DC blast with a few roundabouts involved. Pulled away from him on every straight, not a worry for a 182.
 
  '07 Impreza, 182 sold now
Darren S said:
LOL - what a bell-end I am! :D

I was 99.9% sure it was turbo'd, just like the older RX7. It even felt like it was turbo'd. Now that I know that, I'm actually more impressed by it!

Cheers for the correction guys...

D.
...and they will never make a turbo rotary engine again, emissions far too high amongst other things :(
old RX-7 is brilliant!! RX-8 is sh1te and made for girls like the 197 :eek:
 
  Mazda MX5 1.8
i drove the 230bhp version at thruxton

terrible car. the most powerful car ive ever driven by the books but my god this thing just felt dead. would have much prefered to drive my clio around
also bugger all room in them if ur tall
 
  Abarth Grande Punto
you talk about depreciation, what about the new RZ verion, thats the best part of 24k ! Nice car but im just not sold on the w*nkel engines !
 
  clio 200 F4Rt
mate of mine works for Mazda, went to a meet a while ago, and on way home had a play.

my 182 was pulling away from him in every gear. Not by much, but still pulling.

oh, and it waas the Prodrive PZ model he was driving.
 


Top