ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S.M.A.R.T Status BAD, Backup and Replace

I'm currently sorting a laptop out and this is the issue.

It basically needs a change of hard drive.

Do I need to? Should I just wait until it dies? Anyway of turning off the S.M.A.R.T setting? It's not displayed in the bios.

Also, the replacement disk as and when, should I go with the equivalent that is in there (Toshiba 60gb 5400rpm) or go for something different?

All opinions welcome, poxy laptops.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Why not make an image of it not so if when it dies you can just reimage the new hard disk?

You can swop to any drive that will fit which you like.

I have looked through the BIOS and cannot find an option for this. I've told the guy that he has 2 options, I'll change the hard drive now and install the Sony software etc or he can just wait till it kicks the bucket and I'll do it then.

It's been formatted, nothing is stored on there as he uses it for wireless internet access only.

Only real issue was which hard disk, equivalent Toshiba or better quality Seagate/Hitachi?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
ghost it onto a new drive... and install new drive right away or risk loosing stuff you do on the laptop after you did the ghosted image.

Any laptop hard drive should just get a decent brand one.