ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S1 106 XSi 16v Project..

330i. E30 Touring.
For quite a few months, I'd been keeping my eyes peeled for something I could buy, which looks completeley standard, and a bit of a POS, with a view to dropping in a decent engine, bigger/uprated brakes, and some decent suspension.

Whilst perusing the 106OC, someone in Farnham posted up a for sale thread.

4205421511_ba200ddf95_o.jpg

I liked the look of it, he said it was completely standard, bar an OMP steering wheel, CD Player, 421 manifold, and 2" Pugsport exhaust. The current engine had suffered a suspected head-gasket failure, which he had tried to fix, and cocked it up, somewhat. He said that all the parts were still with the car, which I was glad about. He wanted £300 for it. Perfect. So, I arranged with him to come and have a look at the weekend.

As I turned up, introduced myself, I was more than shocked, when he started walking around he car, pointing out faults, and tiny little things that without him saying, I probably wouldn't have noticed! The guy looked more awkward than I've ever seen at the thought of selling a car. I offered him £175, with a deposit and said I'd pick it up next weekend? We have a (pretty awesome, if i do say so) deal.

The next weekend:

4206179066_1903fe9ca2.jpg

Three hours later, the next weekend:

4206179338_86fffc22f0.jpg

Since then, I've bought:
A 106 GTi, 1.6 16v engine, with Kent PT51 cams.
Raceland 421 16v manifold.
A pair of S1 106 Rallye driveshafts, as the old ones aren't in the best nick.
A modified top engine mount, to account for the bigger cam covers.
An unlocked GTi ECU and loom (which is already spliced to fit the 1.6 XSi!! :approve:

As of now, with much swearing, cuts and bruises, the car looks like this:

4205421477_1a9de89b9a.jpg

Engine's all but wired up. Fuel lines need connecting. Manifold needs putting on, then we should be ready to fire up (to see if the engine actually f**king works!)

Since then, I've sold:
XSi cylinder head- £50.
8v 421 manifold- £75.
8v coilpack- £10

Plans:
266mm uprated discs and pads.
Bilstein B6 suspension
Four new tyres. (Desperately needed!)

Why the guy didn't break the car, I have no idea! Or at least, sell the mani and exhaust!

Updates as and when they come! :cool:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Shed ;)

Suspension wise, ill put my Bilstein geek hat on now if you like ...

Iirc, the rear B6/B8 shock is actually the same, ie B36-2075, it is only the fronts that differ in length, so:

B6 (front) is 30% uprated over standard, part no. P30-3060
B8 (front) is 30% uprated & shortened to cope with shorter springs, part no. P30-3059

Both will display roughly the same handling properties, depending on what springs they are matched to.

For the more hardcore track user, stiffer monotube Grp N shocks are available, front being part no. P30-0351, rear B46-1276.

However, dont just go sticking Grp N's on all round without first uprating the rear torsion bar, with Grp N's & a standard bar, the car will be overdamped & as such, a little on the twitchy side.

My suggestion, for fast road/track use (& having used a variety of different B8/Grp N combo's on my previous 106's) is a combination of:

Grp N front dampers -P30-0351
B8 rears - B36-2075
Faulkner 155lb -40mm springs

I have no experience of the Faulkners myself, but they appear to offer a similar level of performance to the 160lb GMC -40mm springs that i've used previously. I had this set for the saxo, but had to sell it as i'd overspent :rolleyes:

As i'm trying to build mine to a very specific budget, im actually going to use the Spax PSX adjustable setup, whilst its apparently very hard on the road, its good on track & you can obviously setup the damping exactly as you want it ...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
PSX are fine if you set them to soft all round. But most gimps think hard = fast.

Budgie, have you got a bigger rad? vts/GTI one? i did the same conversion on a vtr to VTS and it ran a tad hot with the vtr rad untill i got the VTS/ GTI one.

330i. E30 Touring.
It runs! Got all the wiring finished off this morning, and connected the fuel lines. First turn of the key, and it started up! :) :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Lol! The best feeling in the world! You always hear of people that have problems, so pretty lucky! Loud as sin, with no exhaust on!

330i. E30 Touring.
I didn't do the cambelt because I didn't know if the engine even ran or not.. Now I do, it'll be getting done. Engine bay's starting to look a bit tidyer now. Alternator etc are all on. Picking up new ball joints, drop links, a wheel bearing etc tomorrow and going to get cracking!

Renaultsport
great project! ive done a couple of these now, i had a s2 rallye with a 16v engine then a s1 roland garros which i put a 16v gti engine to! these go really well with just an air filter/421/exhaust-decat.

330i. E30 Touring.
Stands me in at about £650, at the minute.. Few little other bits I need to buy.. Will be well underr a grand, though!! :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Yeah, lol. I've seen them on just about every for 106 for sale forum. (; I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, tbh. Or I might as well have bought a GTi and gone mad on that. Hopefully, this should be pretty nippy for the money! Tyres ordered. Buying for 14" in a low-ish profile is a farking nightmare!

306 GTI-6
What tyres you gone for then. Like the citroen/peugeot project threads, as because they tend to be older cars in a lot of cases, they are made of tinfoil and weigh a lot less, so power isnt as much of an issue to have a fun car.

I have plans for my 306, but as its a daily driver at the moment, and winter is a shitter, I am holding off.

330i. E30 Touring.
Went for Kumho Ecsta's. £30 a corner, so even if they're shite, it's not the end of the world. It's what most people on 106OC said was best.. I do love how light the thing is. Without the engine, you could pick up the front of the car with one hand!

What's your plans for the six, mate?

330i. E30 Touring.
Also just bought a pair of Bilstein Sprintline front dampers, with Eibach Sportlines. Less than £100. ;)

On the look-out for some cheap B8's for the back..

306 GTI-6
Plans for the 6 are for a full stripping with cage, some cams and itbs possibly, suspension sorted along the lines of Bilstein fronts with eibachs, and some new standard shocks for rear and lowered on torsion bar, some lightweight wheels. Basically make it as light as i reasonably can whilst being able to use it (even if I might have to wear ear defenders to drive to work, lol).

With regards to your choice of B8s for the rear, common consenus on the 6 forum seems to be to stick with pug standard for the back, as the bilstein rears are poo. This may be specific to the six though (as apparently they are the same bilsteins they use on the 205!).

330i. E30 Touring.
Sounds good, mate! Too late, though! I've just bought a set of B8's for the rear.. £70 delivered. Win. :)

330i. E30 Touring.
A few pictures of how it stands now:

4247323655_e45a203f7e.jpg

4247323675_8798fd4570.jpg

4247323699_e9531de64a.jpg

4247323709_37f3e1777c_b.jpg

Just need a pair of driveshafts, and a decent induction kit, and it'll be ready to properly put back together!

:cool: