ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S1 106 XSi 16v Project..

DMS

A thirsty 172
My 106 GTi used to break every 5 minutes and yet I think the most expensive thing to fix was the gearbox (twice) at around 150 quid a time. The Pugsport exhaust wasn't cheap either, but I did buy it brand new.

I need another 106 GTi in my life... preferably supercharged :cool:

330i. E30 Touring.
Yeah, the gearboxes are made of butter, by all reports. I'd fit it myself, though, and they're pretty regularly available at between £70-£140 now.

Pugsport came with the car! ;)

DMS

A thirsty 172
They've got to be one of the most awesome sounding exhausts going. They do make a difference to performance as well, which is more than can be said for aftermarket exhausts for other cars (i.e; Mk2 Clio's).
I had the Pugsport straight through exhaust, Raceland 4-2-1 manifold (as rare as rocking horse s**t at the time), Ecosse Ram air induction kit with a green cotton filter in it and a slightly enlarged and polished throttle body. It made 136bhp on the standard map.
I still can't think of a more fun car than a 106 GTi (apart from the Saxo VTS obviously - same car).

330i. E30 Touring.
LOL. Apart from the induction (which i'm still sort of keeping my eye out for) I'm running exactly the same setup with Kent PT51 cams. Hopefully make 140-145bhp. Who knows.

Oh, the noise! Quiet on idle, and whilst under low revs, and the raspiest thing i've ever heard, after 3k rpm!

DMS

A thirsty 172
I never got mine cammed. It got wrote off before I had chance to spend any serious money on it :(

Williams 2 & 200
The on-cam feeling on the Rallye seems quite similar to the Clio but I had group N engine mounts on mine so when you hit 5k rpm the whole bloody thing sounded like a monster :cool: I expect the GTI is a similar feeling after new cams.

Defo going to be my second car when i can afford it again.

330i. E30 Touring.
I really do hope so! I've not driven the thing yet, but I've seen a few videos, and quite a few people that have driven/owned them assure me that 16v S1's are a fun little car, which will surprise a few bigger cars. Uprated engine mounts are defnitely on the 'to-buy' list, if some come up for a decent price!

Thank christ I've got an Almera shed sitting on the drive for when this inevitably breaks!

Williams 2 & 200
The 106 Rallye forum is normally a good read if you need some info and parts, they seem a little bit more clued up than the 106 Owners Club and the 16v conversion is popular on there.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yeah, I'm a member on both.

106OC is mainly full of 17-19 year old people, looking for angel eyes and 4" exhausts.
RR is much better for technical questions and answers. There's a few people on there, that if there's something they don't know about 106's, it's not worth knowing!

330i. E30 Touring.
Oh, hi.

So, it's been fully put back together and tested for about a week now..

It failed the MOT on emissions last Monday, but that's all sorted and it's going back in first thing in the morning. Insurance is sorted, and tax will be done as soon as it's MOT'd. :cool:

I've given it a quick clean, and taken some photos:

4370767334_bebe9194d7_b.jpg

4370767332_65b26f8b61_b.jpg

4370767330_521e0a9324_b.jpg

4370763060_063bdf8863_b.jpg

The paintwork's surprisingly good for a 16 year old red french car, but I'm still going to flash across it with the PC to brighten it up a bit, and the engine bay's covered in muck, so there will be some decent pics once that's gone. Apologies for the rubbish BB pics.

I've also got my hands on a bargainous set of 266mm brake calipers, and still have to fit the Bilsteins and the Pugsport. Using a pals standard exhaust to get it through the MOT.

;)

Williams 2 & 200
Looks good man, will be good with pugsport. Do the 266mm brakes fit under those wheels or are you going to upgrade?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, they'll fit under the standard wheels fine!

I want to keep it looking as standard as possible on the outside, otherwise it'd be going on GTi-6 brakes!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I actually love this! lol! I'm just about to buy a ph1 but I think in the summer I might buy a shitter and use it as a car to learn on. Have a bit of a project going with my mates or something. lol!

330i. E30 Touring.
I actually love this! lol! I'm just about to buy a ph1 but I think in the summer I might buy a s**tter and use it as a car to learn on. Have a bit of a project going with my mates or something. lol!

LOL! Less of the shitter, you! ;)

I'll take you for a spin when you finally make it to one of the five-a-side nights, matey!

It's probably just about as cheap as you can make a project. I'll add up all the costs now, thinking about it.

330i. E30 Touring.
Bought:

Car- £175
Tyres- £130
Engine & Cams- £250
4-2-1 manifold- £90
16v engine loom, unlocked ECU and modified top mount- £140
S1 Rallye driveshafts- £70
K&N induction- £20
Wheel bearing £14
Slimline fan- £30
16v fuel lines- £10
Pair of ball joints- £22
16v throttle cable and top coolant hose- £16
266mm Calipers- £25
Bilstein B8's- £180 (these were swapped for a brand new set of Spax PSX adjustables and £100 my way. The spax were then sold for £180, and with the money, I bought a set of Bilstein B6's for £150.
Wiper blanking gromit- £2

Sold:
Driveshaft retaining bracket- £10
Random 8v pulley- £8
Rear wiper motor- £40!
Old lambda- £15
8v coilpack and leads- £12.
8v engine mount- £25!
8v cylinder head- £50!
8v 4-2-1 manifold - £75.
8v crank sensor- £10.
8v engine bay fuse box- £8

So in all, it's cost me £616! That really can't be right, I must have missed a few bits out. Plus, all the MOT, Tax, insurance etc.

And looking through my old posts on 106OC, here's the original for sale thread:

http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=125430

:cool:

330i. E30 Touring.
Looks great Mike! Exhaust looks like it should actually be on the car, didnt think it would fit that well! When am I going to get it back eh? :)

LOL!

You should see what's holding the backbox up. Some garage door cable and jubilee clips! Ghetto FTW!

Can have it back whenever you please, mate. I might even refit it, too. Just to say thanks. ;)

LOL!

You should see what's holding the backbox up. Some garage door cable and jubilee clips! Ghetto FTW!

Can have it back whenever you please, mate. I might even refit it, too. Just to say thanks. ;)

Sweet as mate, want to start getting the ball rolling and getting mine back to its former glory! If you could give me hand that would be awesome! ;)

330i. E30 Touring.
Sweet as mate, want to start getting the ball rolling and getting mine back to its former glory! If you could give me hand that would be awesome! ;)

No worries at all.

Shouldn't take long.

What's the plans for yours then? Or is it all hush-hush? ;)

Golf GT TDI
looks great

my mate has a 240bhp 106 xsi 16v turbo k reg

will get some pics up for you as hes not on any forums at all

330i. E30 Touring.
MOT passed.
Tax bought.
Pugsport refitted.
Back seats refitted.

150 miles later and I've still got a huge grin on my face!

I also cleaned it properly, so will take a few pics tomorrow! :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LOL! Less of the s**tter, you! ;)

I'll take you for a spin when you finally make it to one of the five-a-side nights, matey!

It's probably just about as cheap as you can make a project. I'll add up all the costs now, thinking about it.

lol :eek:

Well hopefully I should make it to the next football sesh, picked up the 172 tonight so have something fun to travel in ;) (could be the one after though due to funds)

MOT passed.
Tax bought.
Pugsport refitted.
Back seats refitted.

150 miles later and I've still got a huge grin on my face!

I also cleaned it properly, so will take a few pics tomorrow! :)

Good result mate! Loud? Quick? How you finding it to drive?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
f**king hell! You don't hang about!

Fair play mate. Love the way it looks normal. :)

330i. E30 Touring.
lol :eek:

Well hopefully I should make it to the next football sesh, picked up the 172 tonight so have something fun to travel in ;) (could be the one after though due to funds)

Good result mate! Loud? Quick? How you finding it to drive?

Yeah, after 3k, it's loud! Really raspy! I love it.

It's quick, but you've got to push hard, to keep it there. It also loves being pushed hard. At low revs, and in traffic, it's hard work, but once you're moving, it's awesome. Just like a little go-kart!

Quite surprised with how it hold the road, even on standard suspension! Even in the wet, the front's pretty planted!

330i. E30 Touring.
Because it's got no AC, no power steering, no ABS, no anything! I've hidden what wires it does have as well as possible..

I'm thinking red crackle paint for the rocker covers, too.