ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S40 T5 sleeper project

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Is it not the DP and cats that restrict the flow, over the OEM exhaust? I would suggest swapping those out to a larger bore version before changing the exhaust to something loud and non-sleeper-esque.

Already done mate, it's running a milltek DP and Decat

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Not sure that the exhaust will add much real power fella. It'll just sound better but that's contrary to the point of it being a sleeper!

According to most Focus ST and T5 forums the original system is quite restrctive ( the volvo especially) even with the large DP and decat the car is virtually silent! Surely silent is restricted?

On a side note I did a 122 mile trip yesterday and averaged 45.6MPG!! I certainly wasn't expecting that! That's almost in diesel terratory!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I love this. Giving me plenty of ideas for a Volvo or Saab sleeper of my own.

Top work!

Glad to be of assitance!

I'm just trying to decide where to go next power wise. I get mixed reviews on whether an exhaust will actually release any power, that said the current exhaust MUST be holding it back. ST's with decats and std exhaust (even on std maps) pop and bang whereas my car is virtually silent still.

I'm goign order an ECU spacer for the airbox. Bit of a crazy design but the ECU sits partially inside the airbox and restricts the air flow. a 10mm spacer is fitted between the ECU and airbox to pull the cooling fins out of the way to get a better flow. Apparently the std airbox with a spacer is good for 350bhp so no need to bother touching that just yet.

Turbo control valve - this is the device that controls the boost. Apparently they aren't the most reliable thing in std form and when tuned are renouned for failing or being unable to control boost properly. An uprated one is on the cards.

After that it'll be pipework under the bonnet, larger bore, smoother bends all to help the flow into and out of the turbo. Then i've pretty much taken it as far as it can go on the std turbo.

K16 anybody?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
What power are you going to be happy with out of interest?

Once you put brakes and a exhaust on you may as well go all out.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
What power are you going to be happy with out of interest?

Once you put brakes and a exhaust on you may as well go all out.

400bhp and 450+lb-ft and i'll be happy. Both of which should be easily acheivable on a Focus RS K16 turbo. My current plan (the one above) will get me well on the way leaving only the turbo, injectors and a map i think.

I'm hoping to keep the sleeper look though, so may just go down the Focus ST route for the brakes and a resonated Milltek system (they aren't much noisier than std)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Quick update. Won an eBay auction today for a set of 18" Volvo Medusa wheels which were an option wheel for the r design I beleive. They are freshly refurbed and ready for new rubber, hoping to pick them up at the weekend. Ok so it loses a little of the sleeperness but it'll smarten the car up no end.

Not my car of course but you get the idea
89-8.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Really like those, I reckon it'll still be just as much a sleeper as before tbh.

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
From memory that's exactly what I did. They are Kumho Ecstas or something similar and seem to do well. Wet grip seems only to suffer when you let the weight of the swing over on a bend, then it can get a bit.....slippery.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
It will look ace on those wheels. I didn't realise how close you were to me, I'm just off 29A M1

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
It will look ace on those wheels. I didn't realise how close you were to me, I'm just off 29A M1

Yeah not far away, I'm about a minute off jct 28!

Off ft to collect the wheels tomorrow, got a bit of a bargain at £425 for the set fully refurbed. They usually fetch a lot more but this happened to finish at a silly time (14:52 on a Wednesday?!?). Now just to decide on a set of tyres (and fit the wheels without the wife noticing!)

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but is the block in these safe to take to 400bhp? Obviously in the STs you're risking cracked liners at even 100bhp less than that. Don't know how much stronger the block/internals are in these mind.

Exhaust being so quiet is a strange one. My ST had 3 inch dp/decat with de-resonated standard catback from an RS. Absolutely howled on full chat and popped/banged/flamed regularly.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but is the block in these safe to take to 400bhp? Obviously in the STs you're risking cracked liners at even 100bhp less than that. Don't know how much stronger the block/internals are in these mind.

Exhaust being so quiet is a strange one. My ST had 3 inch dp/decat with de-resonated standard catback from an RS. Absolutely howled on full chat and popped/banged/flamed regularly.

Im aware of the block issue, to my knowledge even the st is pretty safe at 330-350bhp. Having said that, I'm planning on shimming the block when I do the cambelt later this year to ensure reliability.

All I can assume with the exhaust is that the Volvo unit is more restrictive than the ST and RS ones. I've found a fairly quiet replacement from Ferrata that I'm thinking of putting on.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
So today's update is - front brakes!

Picked these up about 14:30 this afternoon, they are calipers from a Focus ST, along with a new set of 320mm discs and pads (the riginals are 300mm)

This was how they looked when collected from Nottingham ford breakers:-

EE190983-5FEB-44FC-A1F5-F5DE3525623A_zps1fdu37hy.jpg

This is the original set up

B103AF9A-7CDB-4765-8EFD-987196460426_zpsgqrvegnp.jpg

05FBE618-6E1F-474E-A020-BA1D0B8826FB_zps6wrf0pxi.jpg

New calipers sprayed and fitted along with the discs & pads

BE2F7A88-9DBB-4599-A28A-CBAABECE0079_zps5zxpkxed.jpg

E246673F-B200-453F-B2C6-FB0D35725E2A_zps2lgw4hf1.jpg

Excuse the filthy wheel, i'm not cleaning these when I have the new ones to go on soon!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
New wheels fitted today with a nice new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's in 225/40/18

From this
5D9B39C9-FD49-4BD9-9697-80F4CD8564AC_zpskzmxqeoa.jpg

to this

52CC2623-B7B2-4B7F-BF7C-124B0CA1C467_zpssp4siote.jpg

im really happy with them!

Hi chris, I've decided I'm trading in the twingo for a t5.

Are there any major things to look out for when inspecting and test driving the car?

chris knott using highway, wouldn't touch the car so had to cancel and go with axa :/

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
So, a very quick update on this.

I've removed the ECU from the airbox and blocked the hole, amazingly I can definately feel a difference. It feels much smoother than before and makes a little more induction noise.
I've been having issue with a hot side boot pipe popping off under full boost in high gears. It first happend about 3 months ago, but is now doing it almost every other day - resulting in the engine cutting out. I've ordered a few new parts to bolt on (hopewfully tomorrow).

These to replace the 90degree silicone bends as they rub slightly on the radiator brackets (sticking with black to remain 'stealth')

706C7AB8-ACF2-4A70-84CD-5DA0270D87FF_zpsoycbnqqr.jpg
9F572415-8D25-4849-A7E1-235C894038EE_zpswakoirze.jpg
EF9EFD1C-61B3-4EB9-828D-1183E01FA9CC_zps2jopjjk0.jpg

And have these coming next week. The intake pipe is 3" instead of the OE pipe that goes down to 2.16" at one point, and the intercooler pipework in 2.5" instead of the OE 2.0".
FB9FDF19-E6C6-4A49-A109-3524DBEE5689_zpsryu12u4w.jpg

7025D416-B9D7-4BA8-85C4-479CEFDAC400_zpscua19soa.jpg

Then early next year I want this exhaust system, it's apparently one of the quietest stainless systems and is only slightly louder than OE.

12007016-origpic-5a84fb_zpsf8a079fa.jpg

With all the above done I should be at around 310bhp and 370 lb-ft. I'll get it back on the rollers early in the new year to see how it's doing.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Cheers guys. Just trying to resize the pics but photobucket editing doesn't work on my work laptop! I'll edit later and put of pics of the new intercooler boost pipe set-up.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
So, I managed to sort the boost piping yesterday. I've not got the hard pipe kit yet but I've sorted the pipe that kept popping off.

Original set up

D4AC9985-3AA5-44EC-BA13-DE3F94F09F30_zpszyvl4fia.jpg

New set up

53BD258A-860B-45A7-B75E-2509109F9DFE_zpspu3kdj8k.jpg

It's a much tighter bend, so doesn't catch on anything now and it s much better fit. I took it for a few high gear full throttle runs and it seems to have cured the problem!

Thinking of having the wheels painted in a slightly darker colour, thoughts?

2694BAE9-7652-42E6-84E4-BC6673C61F07_zpsipyacjto.jpg

Clio 182
Awesome sleeper. Got a lot of time for these after having a quick go in a friends a while back!

Reference the exhaust have you considered a trip to MIJ in Walsall? Well priced, great guarantee and the service is generally bob on. Had a few of ther systems on different cars over the years and never really had a complaint.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
No! Silver for the sleeper look, any other colour will look a bit modded, personally I'd try and make it as standard as possible on the exterior!