ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sam Bs Track Clio

Clio 172
Right then, starting a little project to keep me busy for the winter, its a standard 172 ph2 with the usual trimmings. Plan is to get it into a decent enough state to do a few trackdays and enjoy it.

So i've had the car three weeks and already been doing my shopping, So far i've bought Ktec stealth supersport exhaust, Powerflex lower engine mount, Whiteline arb, Pro race 1.2s, Bimarco Bucket seats, RMD steering wheel, Sabelt 4 point harnesses, couple of other little bits.

Haven't got massivly far as of yet but hopefully get a bit further this weekend when i pick up the wheels, seats and steering wheel.

Started off on a massive high with having to have the locking wheel bolts air cheiseled off. Happy days. At least the wheels will now come off with ease.

I have standard by getting the exhaust fitted, thats about as far as i have got so far, heres a few pictures.

46fd4d8b.jpg

06928a77.jpg

98100d92.jpg

9b426ff1.jpg

051e2ed0.jpg

Plenty more to come :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Your stealth exhaust doesn't appear to be very stealth like...

Like the seats though, I used to have those, proper comfy!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yer I need to look at the exhaust again. Get it on better. Love the seats

Ah bugger, completely forgot to have a look at that for you!! Try wanging a bit of hose pipe in the rear exhaust mount to hold it up a bit higher ... Glad you like the seats!! I now feel like im sat on the clio, rather that in it, comfy though! Need to retrofit the cruise into your old steering wheel though.

The exhaust is fun to get just right

What you want to do is loosen off the bolt on the main hoop bracket on the back box - and loosen off the clamp between the back box and center pipe and the clamp between the center pipe and cat - then lay under the back and push the back box up as far as you can - the whole lot sort of twists around and the back box ends up right up behind the bumper

Then while you're holding it up get someone to tighten everything back up - or stick a jack under the backbox and tighten everything up yourself :)

Clio 172
Ah bugger, completely forgot to have a look at that for you!! Try wanging a bit of hose pipe in the rear exhaust mount to hold it up a bit higher ... Glad you like the seats!! I now feel like im sat on the clio, rather that in it, comfy though! Need to retrofit the cruise into your old steering wheel though.

Not to worry, needed to get off anyways. Although i didn't get my wheels in the end :( Need to pick them up this week! Ha, yer you do feel high up in standard seats. Lot lower in the Bimarcos

Yer Phil, I need to have a play with it. At the end of a long list though lol. Hoping to crack on with the suspension soon and get the interior tidied up i.e. removed random plastics, rear speakers etc.

Still got to decide what brakes to get, not sure if i should get some decent pads and standard discs, braided lines, new fluid or haul out for some Hi specs or something. Might get some TB'd to if my friends brothers willing to sell cheap enough ;)

I've fitted goodridge braided lines all round, brembo HC discs and Ferodo DS2500's
Stops really well and never seems to fade. Did nearly cook the fluid on my last outing - but that's 2 year old fluid. Need to put some decent stuff in

Cheap enough as well - £60 for discs and £120 for pads IIRC and lasted all year so far with some serious track abuse thrown at it

TB's has to be done - I keep firing mine up each night and just standing smiling listening to it lol

Clio 172
I had the HCs and M1144s on my 182 didn't really rate the M1144s even though they were great on the DC5. Should give these ds2500s a try I think :)

Clio 172
Little bit of a update today.

Firstly I fitted all my harnesses properly with some new clips :). Nice and tidy now and took out some unwanted plastic bits from the back!

4632181a.jpg

41d69a09.jpg

Next I fitted my new smaller number plate :) thanks to revels for the guide on CS. Heres a picture of how it stands at the moment!

dec7868b.jpg

Hopefully I'll get my coilovers and rear anti roll bar on on Sunday if I can as my backs knackered atm. Also got myself a V6 air box

Phase1 172
looks good sam, and plans sound similar to mine.

if im right in thinking you used to have a blue rallye? i picked up a few bits and pieces from you (rallye interior)

Clio 172
looks good sam, and plans sound similar to mine.

if im right in thinking you used to have a blue rallye? i picked up a few bits and pieces from you (rallye interior)

Haha, yer I think that was me. God that's a blast from the past. Had a fair few cars since then!

Clio 172
Yep i had a few, Red s1, white s2, blue s2 and then a white s1 lol. Had a few! Had some decent cars since then DC5, 182, Ibiza cupra TDi :)

Clio 172
Thanks Dave. Get one ordered up on Friday when I get paid. About the 1 millionth thing on the list atm ha! Need to buy a tow eye to and actually crack on with the car a bit more!

Clio 172
Having not had the time to get my coilovers and ARB on in time for this weekend for a sneeky trip to Combe i gave the car over to my brother for the week to sort at the garage he works for. Wednesday i got a call to say one of my Camber bolts was missing from the box! Quick order placed with Kam Racing and they should be at the garage for 2 o'clock today. Then my bro can pop them in and i can get the car over to be set up hopefully in time for tomoorrow, hopefully! Anyways a pic he sent me of the new height.

attachment.php

Clio 172
I also fitted my V6 Airbox at some point and collecting a spare dogbone mount so i can fit my lower powerflex mount.

Clio 172
Well I never made the trackday unfortuantely :( Some mess up with bolts ment that it couldn't be set up in time so i didn't want to track it!

How ever i now have it home :) coilovers and ARB fitted, Already feels much better but still needs setting up which is unfortuantely appearing to be a problem in its self as the garage that was going to do it can't get its equipment on the wheels with the ride height!

Also think i will remove the V6 airbox i brought. I can't tell any differ so feel its wasted!

I'll get some decent pictures up this weekend when i've had a chance to give it its first ever clean in my possesion (make me feel a little sick that tbh)

Clio 172
Gave it a clean last weekend. Checked the fluids took a couple of snaps and went out on a drive. Needs a proper wash/clay/polish/wax so i will try to do that over Christmas

97e820ae.jpg

43276f27.jpg

e9783e95.jpg

Mans fuel economy

7d4e4540.jpg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Well I never made the trackday unfortuantely :( Some mess up with bolts ment that it couldn't be set up in time so i didn't want to track it!

How ever i now have it home :) coilovers and ARB fitted, Already feels much better but still needs setting up which is unfortuantely appearing to be a problem in its self as the garage that was going to do it can't get its equipment on the wheels with the ride height!

Also think i will remove the V6 airbox i brought. I can't tell any differ so feel its wasted!

I'll get some decent pictures up this weekend when i've had a chance to give it its first ever clean in my possesion (make me feel a little sick that tbh)

I made 0.5bhp extra from using a V6 airbox and ITG filter over the standard ph2 box and standard filter... lol.

Clio 172
I made 0.5bhp extra from using a V6 airbox and ITG filter over the standard ph2 box and standard filter... lol.

I found it to be mostly noise. I've now gone back to standard. Got some nice Carbon Washer blanks to go on soon :)

Clio 172
Well standard air box is back. SeatS are back to standard. Decided that although I want to track it I don't get to use it with the buckets etc. I dove all of 100 miles with them in lol.

Anyways last week the rear bearings gave up :(. This called for new rear discs, bearings and pads. Next up I need to get a detail done, car need.claying but I'm moving house so not got the time for a few more weeks! Also I'm hoping to get a RS tuner map from Will when I get a chance

780e34ec.jpg

Clio 172
Only a little baby update (Rather pointless one)

I hated the standard sidelights and indicators so i've replaced the front and rear bulds with silver ones and the sidelights for LEDs. I also changed the side repeaters to clear ones.

That is all.

Next up is a service and some front tyres!

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Finally gave the car a good clean over easter weekend, full wash, clay, polish and wax.

A couple of pics

DSCF0690.jpg

DSCF0691.jpg

Its due a service so i think i will either be doing it myself or take it to Rentech next month.

I've also ordered two Rainsports so i'll get these fitted at the weekend i expect

Clio 172
Well the Rainsports where fitted end of last month, seem to be very good.

This week it passed the 100000 mile mark

99f1f895.jpg

So it really was time for a oil change, oredered some bits from Opie and did it myself. I'll do the air, cabin and fuel filter next

07f88fe9.jpg