ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sam's RB 182 FF

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Had a my first taste of a track day today in the Clio, an awesome day!

Here's a few pics from the day

Bedford-Autodrome-26th-March-2012-(2).jpg

Bedford-Autodrome-26th-March-2012.jpg

Bedford-March-26th-2012.jpg

Here's a terrible quality onboard video!

[youtube]7_4RPWz8qu4[/youtube]

And a compilation of some trackside ones

[youtube]2N-Hr5xfpoo[/youtube]

Car was fantastic with the semi slicks, really punched above its weight and beat some far more powerful cars!

SG9 Forester STi
Lol just seen this and noticed your first pic has me behind you :).

Was an awesome day, your car took a ragging lol! You were out on track quite a bit!

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Lol just seen this and noticed your first pic has me behind you :).

Was an awesome day, your car took a ragging lol! You were out on track quite a bit!

Yeah I was loving it and the car seemed to be fine with it, the brakes were fantastic all day so I went out a few times! But only in 3 lap stints to prevent any brake issues. Initially I thought yours was a 1.4 with the badges, soon found out it wasn't on the straight!

Has your car still got the cat in place mate?

Yeah mate, it was 93 db on the static. I'm gonna keep the cat in place as I couldn't live with any droning on the motorway, but it's loud enough to have fun on the track!

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Added the Bedford Autodrome sticker to the back of the car today, hoping to add a few more along the rear window! Brands Hatch next hopefully!

Glad I chose black as it's nice and subtle

IMG-1543.jpg

IMG-1544.jpg

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Bored at Uni during exam revision end of May I decided to take the 182 out for a spin, thought I'd record a video to show how the cat back JP/Yozza is sounding!

[youtube]Z-4rHMbk28s[/youtube]

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Reminds me of christophers old shed except higher.

Looks pretty clean like. Anything else left to do to it ?

Sam!

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Bonxy sorry for the very late response! I'm just moving it as close as possible to a practical track beast! So I've recently renewed all the shocks with new OEM Cup items, plus fitted Eibach Proline springs, and Pure Motorsport Solid Top Mounts. Plus I've changed the dogbone mount bushes to the Powerflex ones. Overall it's flattened out the ride, and brought all round handling improvements!

Had a trackday at Snetterton yesterday. All I can say is what a car..what a track!

Here's a video of my last stint after it began to totally dry out:

[youtube]0Ta6VzftO10&NR=1[/youtube]

And a start finish straight fly by from the morning:

[youtube]l_lNBT4pthc&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Plus a couple of pics of the day:

XOX-0803.jpg

XOX-0418b.jpg

XOX-0369.jpg

XOX-0338.jpg

XOX-29.jpg

And a final one to show how hot the brakes got! They're Brembo HC discs with Ferodo DS3000 pads. Immense stopping power!

DSC01400.jpg

All in all an amazing day, and lots learned about wet weather driving in the morning!

Last edited:

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
And to add to the above post, at 11:55 in this video I have one of several 'rear end' moments on track!

[youtube]Ir6pfeAWTYQ&feature=plcp[/youtube]

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Yeah the standard seats are a bit loose too so I can feel them moving! Really should sort that!

I want Recaros but can't justify the cost, even if I will get my money back eventually it's a serious dent!

Just watched your vid of you on the track with you losing the rear. Did you have different tires on the back? or older tires? You seem to have little under steer but plenty of over steer.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Yeah you're right the nose was planted and the rear was quite light! I was running semi slicks on the front, and road tyres on the rear. The reason being that the cool, damp conditions made it tough to get rear tyre temp without raising the pressures right up. I quite liked the balance for most of the day, it meant I could hit every apex and use the rear to direct the car. But yeah towards the end I think it was time for the semi slicks to go on the rear!In the morning in the wet it was a very good balance tbh!

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Really annoying PicturePush now charges for accounts, so most of my pics from this thread are gone :S

Anyway been a while since I updated the thread, I test fitted my tow strap ahead of a Rockingham track day end of the month, not sure if it's purposeful or tacky?

Either way, it's probably 1/10th the weight of the original tow bar so I feel at least I'm saving a couple of kg ha.

BRBa7jqCQAAH1aH.jpg

Also, if you're a reader look out for my car in the upcoming issue of Evo mag. I'm proud to say it represented the Clios in being a budget performance car! Think it comes out middle of this month and will be the 'October' issue.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Enjoyed a track day at Rockingham the other day with the Guild of Motoring Writers. Was a great day out where I was able to not only thrash my Clio around the circuit, but also sample several manufacturer's cars including the 2013 Fiesta ST, the Kia ProCeed GT and even THE Reasonably Priced Kia C'eed from Top Gear! That was probably the single most fun I'd had on a track ever! I also had a passenger ride with a rally driver behind the wheel of the only UK Evo X FQ400 - that machine goes round corners like a bloody F3 car!

Anyway here's some pics and on board footage of my Clio from the day.

DSC02036_zps9ee6613d.jpg

DSC02035_zps66888a53.jpg

THE Reasonably Priced Kia from Top Gear, what a laugh this car was on track
2013-08-22171040_zpsc51e9246.jpg

And an Evo VI Tommi Mäkinen edition. It had only covered 1300 miles since new, and so felt as quick as ever!
2013-08-22112457_zpsa8b1d440.jpg

On board my 182 for a couple of fairly messy laps, the GoPro ran out of battery before I remembered how to drive..
[YOUTUBE]KBiNvPbYBLc[/YOUTUBE]

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Been a long, long time since I've updated this!

Recently I fitted a Ktec induction kit. Initially I complained that it seemed to have strangled my car's top end; 50 miles later and almost over night the car was transformed. I assume this is to do with the car's ECU adapting to the change in fuel/air mixture?
Whatever the reason, immediately I noticed throttle response had sharpened up, while torque had also noticeably grown through the mid-range.

Not long after I decided to take my car to Ktec for a remap. Before the map, my car ran with 179bhp on the rolling road (standard ECU and map, Ktec induction kit and Yozzasport catback). I was pleasantly surprised considering my car had passed 113,000 miles at this point.
CAnVGZTW8AAxXvN.jpg

After 30 mins of runs, Andy (I think that was his name!) managed to squeeze and extra 7bhp out of the engine, upping the rev limit and tickover revs on the way. The result? The car not only pulls noticably harder right through the rev range, it also feels substantially more responsive. Heel-and-toeing is a joy.
CAoLwFkWEAApdsD.jpg

With more power and a new glorious sounding set of lungs, the Clio is running well. It's a shame then, that I'm looking for a crap runabout to use through the week as my job sees me averaging 500 miles a week at the moment! The poor Clio will pass 145,000 miles within a year at this rate, and that doesn't include the track day I have planned for May.

How long do these F4R engines last for when they're driven hard?

Clio Sport 182 Cup-packed
In our german forum at Cliors.de
(Many of us visiting the ring) the
record is 200.000miles!

Make sure you are running 5w40 or
Mobil 1 5w50 oil and everything will be fine.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
In our german forum at Cliors.de
(Many of us visiting the ring) the
record is 200.000miles!

Make sure you are running 5w40 or
Mobil 1 5w50 oil and everything will be fine.
Amazing. I'm running some expensive 5w40 and change every 6 months roughly so hopefully she'll make it to 200k one day!

Clio Sport 182 Cup-packed
She surely will Sam;)

If you want some Information about our community visit RS Days
ob Facebook and enjoy our videos;)
And look for xthilox, touristenfahrer and nordschleifchen on youtube;)