ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung TV problems 18 months in..Where do I stand?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Any ideas guys? My TV is 18 months old and I have been greeted by this yesterday.

19470755938_71fb73fd1c_b.png

Apparently the line is caused by a hardware fault. So it's looking like £550.00 down the drain. Samsung do not want to know as it is outside of warranty. Am I covered by the sales good act?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Who did you buy the tv from? Did you pay for extended warranty? Some retailers offer 2 years as standard.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
you should have a 12 month manufacturer warranty, which has now expired. So hopefully you had something past that from the retailer.

Hence the reason I ALWAYS buy tv's through john lewis. 5 year warranty on every tv.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It was bought from Argos. I've just spoken to them and they've asked me to get an independent report and send it to them. If it is a hardware problem there is a good chance I'll get a replacement or voucher for the value. Now to get a report.. Really not sure where to start..lol!

From a quick google "Distinct lines arise from failures of column drivers (vertical) or the row addressing (horizontal). Both are CoG (chip on glass) semiconductor devices that arrayed at the edges of the Glass to provide the electrical signals to drive the panel.
You are seeing either a failure of the part of a chip that drives that line or a failure of the connection from the chip to the lines on the glass panel.
"

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Sod paying getting a report done. You're covered by the the sale of goods act and it should be fit for purpose which it clearly isn't at 18 months old. A well written email will do the trick. As per this thread!

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/john-lewis-5yr-warranty.713458/#post-9822960

This is what I sent, just change it to suit...

Dear DSG Retail LTD,

I bought an LG - 50PK590 50" Full HD Plasma TV from you on 5/10/2010. I paid £625.99.

I now find the goods have the following fault:

Over the last few days the TV has developed a fault where it now has 3 (1 pixel thick) lines going down the screen from top to bottom. The first is 9 inches from the right of the screen, second 10 and third 24 inches from the right. The TV has been in the same position in my living room since the day I received it and has never moved. I believe because of this the TV must have an inherent fault from the factory and feel that a product of this nature should last a lot longer than the 2 years and 10 months I've had it.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) goods you supply must be of satisfactory quality, be fit for purpose and match their description. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you provide me with a replacement.

I have attached my original Dixons.co.uk sales receipt in support of my claim.

Please respond within 14 days of receiving this email.

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
^
Thanks for that. I have now done so minus the receipt. I have contacted Argos who will email me a new one within 2 days. As soon as I have that it will be forwarded. I've just also had a nice email from the Senior customer services executive at Samsung UK that will look in to things too. Looks like im starting to get somewhere.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Good luck mate! Hoping this never happens to me... bought a new Samsung TV just a few months ago but opted for Currys over John Lewis as I preferred the different (exclusive) colour they had plus it was £50 cheaper lol.

Good luck!

I do have another Samsung TV I bought in 2007 which is still going strong so hopefully yours is a rarity.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well I've now provided proof of purchase and awaiting response from Head Office of Samsung UK. Watch this space.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
"
Having had an opportunity to review this further we would like to offer you an assisted cost repair. The process for this would be that you would arrange, and pay for, an assessment of your television and be issued with a quote for repair by a Samsung Authorised Service Centre; the details for your closest are included below:

Gogglebox

Address : Unit 6, Lynwood Court, Bakers Park, Cater Road, Bishopsworth, Bristol, UK, BS13 7TT

Once received, if you can forward the quote to myself I will contact Gogglebox and arrange for them to be provided with the necessary part(s) required to complete the repair and thus you will be required to pay just the labour fee. If you wish to confirm the possible charges for inspection and labour prior to proceeding I would recommend contacting Gogglebox directly."

So I call this company. Estimated repair cost, £100.00 plus VAT plus an inspection cost of £50.00 plus VAT. It's not worth my time.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That's samsung uk. I'm still awaiting response from argos who my sales of good act would apply too I'm guessing.

A4 Avant
Panasonic replaced my plasma a year and half out of warranty with me just paying for couriers. Your tv should last longer than 18 months!! Did you pay on credit card? Maybe they'll get involved?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No I paid with my debit card. Lesson learnt.
Let's see what argos come back with.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
:( w*****s. Actually Samsung are the only company I've actually had a shouting argument with over the phone. Yet I keep going back. Am I simple?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've had Samsung monitors replaced with no quibble, admittedly when they were still under warranty.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
This is why Samsung don't get any of my money - I also tell people to avoid buying their Tv's - they simply can't make decent ones!

SQ5
This is why Samsung don't get any of my money - I also tell people to avoid buying their Tv's - they simply can't make decent ones!

I say this also, and deal with TV's day in, day out. People still buy them after I tell them to get a Pana for a little extra.

Samsung are shite, the only brand I've had two out of the box not working and glass installed incorrectly.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Samsung are THE reason why I went to Apple. In the space of 8 months I had to contact them about "Issues" with the wife's new camera, the TV and my Galaxy Note3. The entire process was slow, drawn out and pretty much everyone I spoke to was less than useless. I genuinely believe the you get better service from Sky's Customer Service department and that's a bold statement!

The trouble with Samsung is that despite you selecting options for different types of products, all calls go to the same group of people who genuinely do not give a s**t. I was sent to a "Service Center" (Translation - shitty phone shop) in Leicester to have my Note3 looked at to rule out a Software Vs Hardware fault. They knew it was hardware as they'd even posted on there website about a KitKat update issue corrupting some firmware inside something on the main board but they still refused to just swap the device for a new one. It took over six weeks for them to F around and eventually come back with a decision to just replace the handset >>> GENIUS <<<

I will never buy another Shamsung product again and it's not like they're cheap products either... just a poor company to deal with.

A shiny black one.
The sale of goods act trumps the EU 2 year rule. I'm sure you have up to six years to make a claim if the product can be reasonably expected to last that long.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well on my latest email to Argos I have included both the sales of goods act and EU regs..can't hurt. I also copied all the emails from Samsung acknowledging the issue and saying they will pay for parts only and that they suggest I contact Argos being the vendor..lol! Let's see what happens. I bet I don't hear for an age.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Samsung are THE reason why I went to Apple. In the space of 8 months I had to contact them about "Issues" with the wife's new camera, the TV and my Galaxy Note3. The entire process was slow, drawn out and pretty much everyone I spoke to was less than useless. I genuinely believe the you get better service from Sky's Customer Service department and that's a bold statement!

The trouble with Samsung is that despite you selecting options for different types of products, all calls go to the same group of people who genuinely do not give a s**t. I was sent to a "Service Center" (Translation - shitty phone shop) in Leicester to have my Note3 looked at to rule out a Software Vs Hardware fault. They knew it was hardware as they'd even posted on there website about a KitKat update issue corrupting some firmware inside something on the main board but they still refused to just swap the device for a new one. It took over six weeks for them to F around and eventually come back with a decision to just replace the handset >>> GENIUS <<<

I will never buy another Shamsung product again and it's not like they're cheap products either... just a poor company to deal with.

Good lord you've changed!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Good lord you've changed!

Yeah I know, heavy bent eh! Now I am so lazy that I just pickup the phone and dial APPLECARE... Yes sir, pop in and we'll swap that right away for you... Perfect

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I know, heavy bent eh! Now I am so lazy that I just pickup the phone and dial APPLECARE... Yes sir, pop in and we'll swap that right away for you... Perfect

I wish we could return to a year ago and have those anti Apple conversations again :(

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Update from my end. I have to get an independent report and send a copy to Argos. If it's a hardware fault they will reimburse me for the inspection and either repair or offer me a new TV. Got someone coming round today.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a faf. What's your preference? Store credit to get a different TV?
It is, but I guess it's fair. The place has said they'll inspect there and then and shouldn't be much more than 30 mins.
Yes very much a store credit if I can so I can get something other than Samsung..lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I wish we could return to a year ago and have those anti Apple conversations again 😧

Your memory is getting terrible with age. That would have been closer to three years now (My daughter is 4 in a few weeks and I was just converting as she was born)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
First Samsung TV: VESA wall mount problems with this TV, offered to send me self tapping screws... so I have bits of plastic in my TV? No thanks, put it on a stand! To be fair it's still working fine 8 years later, although the speakers are terrible (obviously use external ones)

Second Samsung TV: Headphone socket died within a couple of weeks, but didn't really care so carried on regardless. After a couple of years faded lines appeared down the screen, impossible to get rid of 😧 sold to my brother for £25 lol

Third Samsung TV: So far, perfect :tongueout: but only had it a couple of months. I originally ordered a Sony TV but it got delayed 3 times and I couldn't be bothered waiting any longer... in fact, here we are now 4 months after I ordered and it still hasn't been released! Have heard the Sony's all have worse input lag than the 2014 models too. Everything's s**t huh.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I always stick too Panasonic or Sony depending on my needs and whichever room it's in.