ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Saxo VTR

Lupo Gti

right, its coming up to my 18th birthday(3 months), and ive got a clio 1.4rt at the mo, however On my 18th ill be gettin 1 grand , so I was thinkin that I should get a Saxo VTR, mainly because they are the quickest car in that insurance group, 7, and i think they look the nuts! I was just wondering what you guys thought, and if any of you have driven one, whats it like.

I know some will say, yeh i whooped one in my valver, 172 etc, but i wouldnt be able to afford the insurance on sumin like that, and are there any sutable alternatives!

cheers

LMS

What about a seat arosa 1.4 16v sport.

Insurance group 5 0-60 in 9.8 secs.

Now im not saying this is a better car then the vtr but it is very good value as far the insurance goes and will probably lie within your price range

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Clio RSI?

VTS?

16v?

Worth the insurance extra. I reckon in a few years time you wont be able to break any speed limits due to amount of cameras, so get a monster now while you can enjoy it and get a boring car then!!!

Lupo Gti

its a nice plan, but again I simply cannot afford the insurance for sumin like that, not sure bout the styling of the seat. however as soon as I hit 21, me thinks either a VTS or Clio 16v on the way! hehe! just need sumin to bide the time with, thats fairly quick, and looks gud!

CTR EK9 turbo

Are you talking about a new car? or second hand? If it was second hand id go for a 205 gti 1.6 if insurance is a problem - not sure what group they are in. Im only suggesting these as alternatives to the saxo. I like the looks of the saxo vtwhatever and they handle very well too. If its a second hand car then what about a suzuki swift gti? or charade gtti-turbo 3 cyl, sounds like a porshe apparently!? or how about a crx 1.6 16v non vtec? I guess all a VTR is: is a heavier, better built (?) AX GTi. If i was looking for something with ultra cheap insurance and was quick id go for either an AX GT or 205 XS and strip it. Theyre a bit fragile tho. Friend had a really good condition AX GT and are quite nice in standard form/unmolested. Air fix build specials tho so have to be gentle!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

The mk1 VTR aint no faster the 1.4RT, the mk2 is a bit faster.

Mk1 has 90bhp and 0-60 of around 10 seconds
Mk2 has 98bhp I think and around 9 seconds to 60

Ive heard the build quality to be terrible on some VTRs, but as for fun to drive, cheap thrills they cant be beat.

A vtr is cheap to run and handles superbly, same as the VTS. It is gutless I find much amusment seeing vtr owners time themselves on SSC and claiming they are quicker than they really are. My cousins was very slow but good fun. The zetec-s would be my prefered choice as there is no squashed pedals and its a bigger more solid car. Both nigh on identical speeds and insurance group. But you will get whooped in both by TDIs not just 172s. One thing tho, with the free saxo insurance (if its still on the go)when your 2 years are up you can get Full no claims. My cousin bought a scoobie and insured it with his full no claims having only had a car for 2 years!! LOL I dont know why or how!

320d M Sport

I had a VTR for 3 yrs, top car and top value. Will spank a Zetec-S in every respect (my brother has one and tried it on many times!).

Low insurance as only grp 7, loads of tuning potential. £ for £ theyre very hard to beat.

Paddy

205 GTis are way high insurance I think...

A VTR is a good looking, nippy (Not fast) and superb handling motor. They are reasonable insurance and can be modded to produce a pretty pokey little motor.

The downsides are they are very common so can be driven by arseholes who give hot hatches a bad name and tend live under the shadow of the faster VTS and 106GTi.

I had one before my VTS though and I loved it :D, and they are indentical speed to a Zetec-S.

Heres my old one http://fp.willows84.f9.co.uk/Gallery/Images/sept2002/otherside.jpg

I thought the VTR and Zetec-S were almost identical in terms of power, weight and performance! Oh yes, I had a Clio 1.4 16v which was a much better built car than the VTR (believe it or not) and over 4500 revs was really nippy.

Oh yes, if you cant afford the insurance on a VTS, dont get a 1.9 GTi! Not much cheaper to insure than a 172......believe me!

Rhys

Yeah but the cost of a decent 1.9 gti will be a lot less than a VTR. leaving far more cash for insurance. And a VTR isnt really worth getting above what he already has IMO.;)

Yeah, but most are hanging and have had their tits trashed off.

Also exhausts and induction kits tend to lose power on them.

But they are a serious old skool hatch, very lairy and like an unrefined VTS/GTi/Williams/16v :D

So hard to find a minter tho :(

I used to have a VTR and they are brilliant fun. For the money they cannot be beat. I would definately recommend it for your circumstances. You wont be disappointed.

Audi S3

205 gtis are well expensive to insure the 1.6 is the same as a 16v grp 12.

vtrs a good coise if ur looking for cheepness y don u keep the rt till u can afforf to insure the better hatches?

Matt

Fiesta Zetec S gets my vote for warm hatch ! Good built quality, dodgy colour steering wheel mind, blue or red, must be a ford thing cause they done the same in the RS focus. Anyway handling wise, these are superb. Been round dono in one, rock solid through craner kerbs etc, they have the same chasis runnig gear etc as the puma, but wider track due to the offset of the alloys. In a straight line they would be level pegging with a VTR and the engine just revs and revs, but this isnt what this car is about. In the twisties (how many times do scooby drivers say that) these cars really come to life, and would murder much quicker and expensive machinery on a technically demanding course, let alone a VTR.

Cheap to insure too, group 6 or 7 i think, and if you are goin to race anyone (cause we all do it when we are young, but not that i am encouraging it of cause) race them down a country lane or round a round about and you will beat most stuff !

I think youll find the Zetec-S will match a VTR for handling but not beat it.

Depends if you like a nice, safe comfy, grippy ride.

Or more seat of the pants point and go old skool handling with large dollops of lift off oversteer thrown in for when you want some fun :devilish:

One is very safe and predictable one is very fun! ;)

Eric - when it comes to cars and handling you are obviously far better educated they i am !

Oh yeah, one is common as muck, and the other one isnt !

Eric - have you driven both ?

Nope I havent driven a Zetec-S, but have raced a few ;)

I have driven my g/f 2.0 Zetec Focus which is pretty nice...Too slow, but nice to drive all the same. (I know its not the same as a Zetec-S, as its loads heavier, but Ive been told they arent all that far apart.)

And to my knowledge Zetec-Ss wont lift off oversteer :devilish: (Not that Im the most knowledgable person on handling in the whole world) ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

what about a nissan micra 1.0... gutless and low on insurance.. had one for a year.. lol what a car :oops:

Quote: Originally posted by Eric 16v on 13 February 2003

Nope I havent driven a Zetec-S, but have raced a few ;)

I have driven my g/f 2.0 Zetec Focus which is pretty nice...Too slow, but nice to drive all the same. (I know its not the same as a Zetec-S, as its loads heavier, but Ive been told they arent all that far apart.)

And to my knowledge Zetec-Ss wont lift off oversteer :devilish: (Not that Im the most knowledgable person on handling in the whole world) ;)

Eric - If you havent driven a car, then you are not in any position to coment really. I have raced a lambo, but have no idea what it is like to drive ! I have driven an Audi, who make lambos, it is nice to drive, but too slow, i know its not a lambo, but i have been told they are all the same ! That is basically what you are saying, all be it slightly more extreme.

Any car will lift off oversteer, you just have to be a good enough driver, aggressive with turn in and throttle.

Enjoy !

Mate you should just go and drive them all and see what you like. if you like clios i would get the RSI. i have had no problems with mine and its relitivly quick. VTRs just dont have the same pull and i have never been in a zetec S so i cant comment on them. i have driven the VTR and it just did not have the same kick that my clio has. im just about to take mine to hill power to have a Cam and chip put in should be quite fast then. just dirve the RSI and the VTR i know you will make the right choice ha ha good luck! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 14 February 2003

Is yours a mk2 rt? Hasnt that got the same bhp as a VTR?
My ph2 1.4RT just clocked 88bhp on the rollers at the recent BBperformance
rr day. Most standard VTRs although on paper are 90bhp would be hard pushed to achieve this on the rollers. So in actual fact the two cars are very similar performance 0-60 and everything. There are an endless supply of them willing to race me to work and back and i win every time. I have only been beaten by 2 saxos so far one a VTS (debadged) other was modified VTR. I would just spend a £1000 on the RT and none of the vtrs will come close. Before the Europe 2003 trip my RT will be chipped and sports CAt Hopefully 100bhp+:D All that frokm a tiny 1.4. So the 1.6 VTR engine isnt that efficienth is it?

I remember seeing a reputable car programme, cant remember which one is it was but they had a VTS, a Fiesta Zetec S and a horrible Vauxhall Corsa Sri type sport thing. The Fiesta won in every repect and got a quicker time than the Saxo. The Corsa got slated and rightly so. I had the misfortune of a brand new Corsa 1.2 as a replacement car while mine was in the body shop after a council worker aimed his van at my rear quarter. It was the worst car I have ever driven and im not joking. So if anyone is even thinking of buying a Corsa, no! Oh, and have you thought of the Polo gti. Not sure of insurance groups but my girlfriend has got one and it is an impressive little car. 100 bhp but feels like 120 due to size.

320d M Sport

If the Zetec-S and VTR are so evenly matched how come i toasted my brothers dozens os times when i had the VTR? ??

:eek: Hang on, maybe that one had "Extraordinary Power" as well?? Hmm......

Lupo Gti

hmmm, hear wot you are all saying, its just that I think they look great, dont get me wrong, I love my clio, had a blast on the way home today, its just that if i spent a grand on my clio it would disappear on alloys and say lowering, a chip here and an induction kit their, and id never really see where it all went, but if i was to sell the clio and buy a VTR with the grand and clio money, then its already got alloys, handles well, and has that little bit more pull than my car, also I see loads more clio 1.4 RTs (usually being driven by old people) on my way in than VTRs,

also whats the difference in tuning potential between the 1.4 RT and the VTR?

Eric16v your old VTR looks the b****cks, very subtle, exactly what I had imagened if i were to get a VTR! NIce

LMS

Quote: Originally posted by CLIO14RT on 14 February 2003

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 14 February 2003

Is yours a mk2 rt? Hasnt that got the same bhp as a VTR?
My ph2 1.4RT just clocked 88bhp on the rollers at the recent BBperformance
rr day. Most standard VTRs although on paper are 90bhp would be hard pushed to achieve this on the rollers. So in actual fact the two cars are very similar performance 0-60 and everything. There are an endless supply of them willing to race me to work and back and i win every time. I have only been beaten by 2 saxos so far one a VTS (debadged) other was modified VTR. I would just spend a £1000 on the RT and none of the vtrs will come close. Before the Europe 2003 trip my RT will be chipped and sports CAt Hopefully 100bhp+ All that frokm a tiny 1.4. So the 1.6 VTR engine isnt that efficienth is it?

Id do what this guy has said. You would have a faster car and hopefully something which would cost less to insure. Saxos are a bit common and carry a geezer image IMO.

Lupo Gti

also,

whats a VTR like in terms of feeling the power through all the gears compared to a Mk3 golf Gti 8v, cos ive driven one of those, I know they are heavy but I really enjoyed that and it seemed so much quicker than my Clio! :( (especially in 3rd and 4th gear)

LMS

RB5 & 172

go for the vtr. not the quickest car in the world but huge fun to drive on b roads!

i have a 172 now but when ever i get back into a vtr it puts a smile on my face (so long as i know the roads), they stick like s**t to a blanket!

VTRs can be supercharged easily too, gives silly power..

They are nice looking cars, but I think if I had a choice, Id go with a Clio.. but then, Im probably biased.

Daz.

VTRs are a laugh and if you like how they look then get one, just be quick with the opposite lock! How is a 205 going to be more to insure, surely youd get it third party fire and theft while the saxo would be fully comp? Give herts a call theyre pretty good for third party stuff. And although saxos do have a bit of a burberry cap image they do have some motorsport credibility - Sebastien Loeb, dominating super 1600s etc. Also they feel twice as fast as they really are, crampt interior nervous handling etc. Mate has one and he likes it, and he has even finally accepted that it is pretty gutless straight line wise.

Quote: Originally posted by Lanky_mos on 14 February 2003

also,

whats a VTR like in terms of feeling the power through all the gears compared to a Mk3 golf Gti 8v, cos ive driven one of those, I know they are heavy but I really enjoyed that and it seemed so much quicker than my Clio! :( (especially in 3rd and 4th gear)

LMS
Right i also have a Golf mk3 2.0 Cabriolet which has the 8v gti engine.
Its slightly slower than a normal gti but my Clio 1.4rt beats it to 60 no probs.
We have tried racing with me in the golf and the missis in the clio and visa versa, either way the clio always wins to 60mph. However its a different story after 80 the golf keeps on pulling past 120mph. Even so for the clio to be infront of a 2.0 until 80mph shows how good the 1.4rt is. As i have said before my car is faster than a £22,000 2.0 Lexus IS200 TO 60mph which has a new variable valve Jap engine so all the RT needs is a little money spending on its engine and suspension then the car is happy for everday traffic or trackdays and will put massive grin on ya face. Any modified car is better than a standard one regardless of type IMHO.

Lupo Gti

so u rate ur 1.4, mines great, drop into 3rd, have it bumbling at 3,000 and it flies! catches many people out, however it struggles to keep up with a dhatsui charade glxi, its only a 1.3 16v. And i keep gettin told that the 1.4 rt is the slowest thing this side of wales. its not so much gettin to 60 that im worried about, its how it pulls in 3rd and 4th, for overtaking, etc.... and apparently the VTR does that a treat.....!

LMS

id say go for a vTR and nothing else if u can afford one

my bro has one. ( although he selling it to get a 106 gti) and my mate has one. my bro loves his car. his car is heavily styled and looks the nuts and he love driving it too, my mates one is slammed on std 14 and to be honest ive never sat in a FWD car that can take corners so damn fast. my valver would understeer well before a sorted vtr

althought slower than a vts. with its lighter engine its more balanced a car and being a 8v motor has a real punch. yes its not the fastest car in the world but drive one and u will be suprised at how willing it pulls and punchy it is. it does give a sense of being faster than it actually it.

id say get a vtr over anything else in the market if its new. if u dont mind older cars them a 205 gti 1.6/19 will be worth a look too

oh yeah i know i will get sh*t loads of comebacks for this but how about this

and indicated 132 mph 3 up in a vtr with only a full system. yes i sh*t u not. this car aint mine and ive no reason to lie about it. i would not of beleived it if i were not sitting in passenger seat as it happended

wongy

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

The 1.4RT is a fast car to 60 for a 1.4, but as Scribbler said, its not got the pulling power, once you hit 80-90 it really starts to stuggle, well mine does anyway. Ive got some vids of my 1.4RT to 0-60, 40-70 and 50-90, its not 100% accurate I know but gives you an idea of the speed of it, just strapped me camera to the dash lol!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/RSC/0-60small_hill.AVIhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/RSC/0-60small_hill.AVI

Rest all here -> http://members.lycos.co.uk/zclio/http://members.lycos.co.uk/zclio/ under videos

Lupo Gti

yea, VTR it is, o by the way is anybody in the warwickshire area, cos i hardly see any, 172s, valvers or willys, or VTRs for that matter!

looks like VTR in the summer then!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers guys

LMS