ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scarey......

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
Well, the newly aquired 182 progresses. The previous owner said that everything had been done including the belts. But I thought, no paperwork so I had better change them. Glad I did. Auxillary belt very worn and cracked, the tensioner siezed so it wasn't tensioning and both it and the lower guide very noisey. Cam belt looked ok - ish but the guides and tensioners again very nosiey and rough when spun.
Is this a record after 6 years and 87K? Hmmmm.. could have been nasty.
A thought occured, it is difficult to truly ascertain if belts have been done - there are plenty of dodgy invoices floating around. I took a couple of pics to put in the service record. There are also a large number of 1*2' s for sale at 5+ years and 70K + with vague records of belt changes.
Conclusion? Change the belts on any 1*2 you buy unless there is a fully accountable record. Obvious, but there are a few cars for sale with wrecked engines...

Clio 172 ph1
Good job you checked! :S

When I bought mine the cambelt was 6 years / 30,000 miles old - drove it around for a nervous few weeks until payday when I could afford to get it changed! The garage didn't comment on its condition but I felt much better driving it afterwards!!

Clio 2.0 172 PH2
damn! Better have mine done then. 55K on the clock but service book says doesn't need doing until 75k ish? How much am i talking to get it all done roughy with a good garage?

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
damn! Better have mine done then. 55K on the clock but service book says doesn't need doing until 75k ish? How much am i talking to get it all done roughy with a good garage?
Ah, the book does say 72K OR 5 years. You will be looking at around £400 all in to do it properly

CLIO 172 CUP....
..(littlelise)..you got your car and you new the cam belt was 6 years old and you still drove it around for a few week....WHY NOW THAT DONT MAKE SENCE...

the day i bought my car it was on 72k. once it was on my drive it never moved for a two weeks untill the cam belt was done..

Impreza Wagon
I thought as a precaution most people changed them at 36k rather than waiting for 72k? Mine was luckily done just over a year ago with about 46k on it.