ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's road to Tricolore Trophy

focus RS/Clio 172
So I've been around Clionet for a couple of years now snooping around and watching other peoples progress.

Me and my friend @Josh have been doing track days since we bought our 172s a few years back. But now feel it's time to make the jump to compete.

Josh has been doing Trackdays pretty much as long as I did but with other projects I had to sell parts from the clio to fund the project. So with that being down I haven't been on track for atleast a year now 😧. Josh though has kept up doing them and also meeting a few members from here.

So with me having to start from scratch with the car I thought it would be good to keep this build up to date on progress. Hope gain some ideas off others too.

I'll be undertaking all the work my self and also doing Josh's car too. We've been looking at which championship to do now and with Tricolore being a bit more cost effective and only once a month suits me and josh perfectly due us both being busy people.

We'll be attending the Tricolore Trophy at Oulton Park this year to come and see others that compete. That's our home track as I live 5 fields away :smile:!

So let's get cracking!!!!

Here's how my car used to be before stripping....... Mine is the silver one.

image.jpg

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
welcome aboard to tarc, the more the merrier.
which class you looking at doing?
i am running in class e production which is pretty cheap. if you need a hand with anything or want to come and look at mine just give me a shout, i only live in middlewich.
cheers rob

focus RS/Clio 172
welcome aboard to tarc, the more the merrier.
which class you looking at doing?
i am running in class e production which is pretty cheap. if you need a hand with anything or want to come and look at mine just give me a shout, i only live in middlewich.
cheers rob

Great thanks rob! I would like to join class A as I'm going for a full rebuild. Hopefully meet some of you guys at the Oulton Park race!

focus RS/Clio 172
I'm hoping to stretch the cost between now and next season, hopefully make the first race but well see how things progress. I need to pass my ARDS test first which I'm rubbish at tests so that the first hurdle.

Tomorrow I'll be moving my car from down the side of my work and actually put it in the workshop to begin the strip down then I can start with strengthening and cage.

Welcome mate, the TARC are a friendly bunch.

I will be at Oulton as well providing I don't blow up my car at Silverstone next weekend, so pop over and say hi.

Also don't worry about the ARDS test it is a piece of cake!

James.

focus RS/Clio 172
Thanks James I'll come and say hello at Oulton and see what advice I can get out of you! Are you in class A?

Welcome Scotty from another TT racer, im in Class A. My car was developed over the course of 2 seasons as I just wanted to start racing and didn't have the money to build a competitive car at the start, so no need to be totally put off build costs. I wont be at OP, so will prob see you next year then :)

focus RS/Clio 172
Welcome Scotty from another TT racer, im in Class A. My car was developed over the course of 2 seasons as I just wanted to start racing and didn't have the money to build a competitive car at the start, so no need to be totally put off build costs. I wont be at OP, so will prob see you next year then :smile:

Thanks sonny, i read through all your thread last night cracking build and spec!

I'm hoping to have most if not all complete by march 2016 so I can test prior. Also ARDS test needs to be done. Is there a particular section I need to study for the test?

Anyway luck forward to meeting you guys.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the test is easy really. just swat up on your flags and study the video that comes with your pack.
then the practical test is just to make sure you are not a liability on the track. stick to the lines and apexes and dont spin it.

Renault Clio 172
Welcome Scotty, I'm also a Tarc racer. This my first season, and am loving it! They really are a friendly bunch of people, and always willing to help. If you are ever in Yorkshire, feel free to pop in and see my car.

I'll not be at Outlon, but hopefully see you next year

focus RS/Clio 172
Welcome Scotty, I'm also a Tarc racer. This my first season, and am loving it! They really are a friendly bunch of people, and always willing to help. If you are ever in Yorkshire, feel free to pop in and see my car.

I'll not be at Outlon, but hopefully see you next year

Thanks for that buddy I may take you up on that offer soon :)

Here's how's she's day this morning, hopefully I'll get time to move her about today at some point....

Not pretty!

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Like @Scottty4eva said we are looking to get sorted for next season. My car is in working order compared to Scott's (Current spec can be seen in the Tin Top thread i started in the Race/Track car section on here.
He will keep the build thread going and I will chip in now and again as my car already has alot done just needs more weight saving + more strengh and full cage.
Hope all goes well.

focus RS/Clio 172
image.jpg
Just been out to see if she would start after not running for 16 months and first turn it started!

If any one has some standard struts going id be interested as it would make it easier for me to move in and out of my workshop :)

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
I am thinking of doing it just seems abit of a nghtmare I will have a read of his thread. I am just having a few issues with the pressure switch and pump which seem to be a common fault.

I did swap to EPAS but I have gone back to standard now. The system worked well but I just didn't like the feel of it to be honest.

I will be going to an electric hydraulic setup next year

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
EPAS systems, especially the earlier types are f*cking awful IMO.

Fine around town, but really lack feel when pressing on. Artificial feeling & overservo'd IMO.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
I did swap to EPAS but I have gone back to standard now. The system worked well but I just didn't like the feel of it to be honest.

I will be going to an electric hydraulic setup next year
Interesting I am sticking with standard at the minute as have just fitted new pump and pressure switch so will see how this goes.

No epas crap on mine! Cup racer style setup with electrically driven hydraulic pump and standard rack.
Russ
Thanks for the information, are you going to Oulton in October....I will have a look

Funnily enough I have just fitted epas this week, after running originally been running the standard system, Im not normally a fan of electric steering but seeing as this one has the resistance dial built in and keeping the original cup rack as its a lot stronger than the DCI rack.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
What do you think of it @sonny172cup or are you yet to try it yet?
The problem I have had with my standard system is the pressure switch blowing (Literally blew apart) sounds like a common problem reading some threads but was very surprised. Hense why I bought a new one.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I have epas on my cup and tbh, I like it. I looped the original rack on mine as well. Regards the 'feel', it all comes down to personal preference I guess, but having the adjuster knob in the car allows you to dial it in to what feels good to you.

I got rid of the hpas on mine to free up some space in the engine bay for a supercharger that I was considering, but also it helps to reduce the load on the engine as there's less rotating mass to spin up so in essence it's free hp. Albeit 1-2hp if your lucky. Lol!

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Go manual rack first and see how you get on. That's what I'm doing :smile:

All trial and error and personal preference I guess.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Mine bloody feels like a manual rack its that stiff until you get going I think my rack may be bent too it's just a complete mess haha

Renault Clio 172
How easy did you find the fit @sonny172cup ? I think I've got all the bits, but I'm sure Digger mentioned a certain part that you need, that I wasn't sure I had.

I've got the rack, a knuckle thing and an excuse connection thing with a nob on it to alter the stiffness (I think)

Well you need the epas column (both parts), the ECU box that connects to it. On ebay you need the wiring/dial pack, some 8awg wire (live and earth) a few feet of each and a 4pk belt job done, if you dont have a cup them you will need more parts.

Renault Clio 172
Well you need the epas column (both parts), the ECU box that connects to it. On ebay you need the wiring/dial pack, some 8awg wire (live and earth) a few feet of each and a 4pk belt job done, if you dont have a cup them you will need more parts.
I might bring the parts with me this weekend, and then you can tell me what I'm missing:)

focus RS/Clio 172
Quick up date, had time to nip up to Robs house to borrow his struts so I can cart my car around my unit!

So if all goes well tomorrow she'll begin the strip down tomorrow :smile:!!!!!