ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Right got the new steel pulley spacer made and fitted and the tensioner tensioned up in the correct poistion, thank fook.

Got my mate who i work with to make it for me while i did other stuff at work.

Top man he is.

20140506_125958_zps4afb248e.jpg

Almost done.

20140506_133629_zps9a1d9b43.jpg

All finished. :D

20140507_154839_zps250340ae.jpg

All fitted and the belt runs in the centre of the pulley.

20140509_190815_zps00326d7e.jpg

Id sent my inlets and the fuel rail protector away to HMS to be painted in Luner grey.

over the moon with his work, the finish is spot on. I ask for the letters to be polished which he has done a bloody good job of.

The spots are rain drops btw.

20140506_180924_zpsf106e5f6.jpg

20140506_180118_zps46887d75.jpg

So today i got AlexW over to give me a hand in getting the cam timing spot on, after an hour of messing about its all done.
The horse shoe fits in with two fingers so im happy.

Unfortunately the rain killed play, so i spent 2 hrs having a nap on the sofa.

Many.
You can have a drive, not going to be able to tell just by sitting next to a fat bloke.

Only in his finest cotton pants. :coffee:

You haven't met Dan have you? Hes much like me, often dirty from working on crappy Clios.

I know I'm not welcome inside your Clio, I'll just stick to viewing the outside.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good. Looks like Raz has done a good job on the inlets. Just can't believe the amount of work and attention to detail on this car.

I've also never understood the whole "goes in with no more effort than three fingers" thing is this pushing forward on it or down on it? I'm assuming its down as on mine I just had to rest my little finger on the back to slip it in (ooerrr).

Many.
Looking good. Looks like Raz has done a good job on the inlets. Just can't believe the amount of work and attention to detail on this car.

I've also never understood the whole "goes in with no more effort than three fingers" thing is this pushing forward on it or down on it? I'm assuming its down as on mine I just had to rest my little finger on the back to slip it in (ooerrr).

Pushing it in, litrally slides in easy as. Often people mistime them and then force the horse-shoe in.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Thanks mate, yes Raz has done a great job. :approve:

You should be able to push the horse shoe stright in, if you have to push it down or up to aline it with the other slot then it means the timing is out.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It wasn't really pushing it down. It literally just needed a finger resting on it. Just had it RR'd at 166 anyway so I'm taking it that it's just play in the dephaser as you couldn't physically get it any closer.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Welshy- Not locking the belt side of the cams properly if your having to push the horse shoe in at an angle or forcefully.
( assuming this is happening after 3 hand cranks and then checking again )

Scott- the colour has changed again lol. I don't know how many shaded that colour can produce !

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I'm never painting a car out in that ! Ever :D
Be forever going round the car thinking you've not put enough basecoat down :eek:

Epic colour tho, we had it under the swirl spotting sun gun, tis an epic flake ! Low key but defiantly not in your face. Very subtle.

I would say leave the engine cover off but that will be the icing...on the cake. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'm never painting a car out in that ! Ever :D
Be forever going round the car thinking you've not put enough basecoat down :eek:

Epic colour tho, we had it under the swirl spotting sun gun, tis an epic flake ! Low key but defiantly not in your face. Very subtle.

I would say leave the engine cover off but that will be the icing...on the cake. :)

Funny enough i said to my wife i might leave the engine cover off.

Her reply was:- FFS haven't you just payed to have that painted. :eek:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
It's a hard desision, suppose you could whip it off half way through the day :)

Lol at the OH's comment :eek:

Yes mate I was thinking the same.

At CSS ill think I will just have it resting on the engine (weather permitting)

Made up for you Scott absolutely brilliant..

Thanks Chi, its been an up hill struggle.
And now ive gone and done my back in so no working on the car for a bit.

lol, I'm not that bad! Plus I'm lazy these days & despise doing any form of work on cars

Ill buy you some clean pants, then you can have a drive. :p

Many.
I showed Alex the lower inlet to day, it looked blue in some lights. :D

Certainly is a brilliant colour, looks so different in different lights.

Me and Scott discussed this too, The engines look good painted up without the cover. Can't wait to see it finished.

lol, I'm not that bad! Plus I'm lazy these days & despise doing any form of work on cars

Pah, I don't believe you.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Managed to do a few little bits on the car today even though my back is still hurting, so close now to getting it running.

Also for the next 11 days im working as we have a big project going on at work so they need the day engineers in on OT, the money is nice but i could do with the time off to get the car running.

So i was going to fit the cambelt covers but after looking at the plastic one and seeing two cracks i decided to order a new one from Renault, just in case it was to break and take the cambelt out.

The aim today was to get the engine turning over on the key and to get oil pressure.

Lower inlet all fitted along with the fuel rail.

20140512_123157_zpsd4a5e8aa.jpg

20140512_125104_zps8507daf1.jpg

Fitted the battery after id charged it up at work, felt like id checked everything 100 times before i fitted the battery cables. :S

Cranked the engine over untill the oil light went out, nothing went bang or did it burst into flames so im happy. :D

Even put the code into the new HU and had a little play with it, very nice bit of kit but the standard Renault speakers let it down. Going to be replacing them and fitting some kind of boom box in the boot. :cool:

Cambelt cover should be with me on wendsday but its now going to be a case of trying to find some time. :(

20140512_155053_zpsf4a1bbf6.jpg

How its looking at the end of today.

20140512_154845_zps5f7b69e9.jpg

Oh i also had a problem with the AC, or so i thought. I had it re-gassed when i bought the car in 2010, after leaving the car un-used for about 6 months the AC didn't work.

Well it did but just wasn't cold.

Im going to be getting a guy out to re-gas it while the bumper etc is off so that if there is any problems/leaks then it can be sorted easily enough without needing to strip the car down again.
Ive bought all of the seals that i need from Renault and i also bought a new AC rad, just in case.

20140512_134202_zps7a9f77bc.jpg

Shiny new. :cool:

20140512_152254_zps1f10fa14.jpg

Many.
You missed the laugh about that A/C rad.

Scott pulled the rads out of his van, and I said "Its lucky you can't see them when fitted, else you'd be replacing those".. Followed by Scott pulling a box out of his van, with a new A/C rad in it. I just stood stunned.

Progress is awesome as I said earlier, If I'm about when you plan to fire it up, I'll pop round, second pair of eyes is always good.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody good work, going to be one of the best ph1 out there by far!!

Don't fit some 'boom box' as you put it, in the boot. Will let it down imo. leave that to the 18 year old boy racers.

Many.

Don't fit some 'boom box' as you put it, in the boot. Will let it down imo. leave that to the 18 year old boy racers.

Scott won't just throw a sub in, It'll be up to the standard of everything else on this car.

Ph1
There is (or was) a company years ago who made / make sub boxes which went round the shape of the Clio wheel arch to give a factory fit look.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Flipin hell! How far we going with the new parts :eek:

I'm not going to lie, i don't know. :eek:

Getting excited mate.. Never cease to amaze with your attention to detail mate..

Ta very much mate, just want it running again.

Flol, i should have said a custom box with a high quality sub. :)

Scott won't just throw a sub in, It'll be up to the standard of everything else on this car.

No mate, i won't.

Want a box that fits on the left side of the boot and trimmed to match.

Scott should put an underseat sub in. Won't even know it's there :)

I was thinking that but im sure that i wouldn't be happy with the sound.

There is (or was) a company years ago who made / make sub boxes which went round the shape of the Clio wheel arch to give a factory fit look.

This is what im after.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I would make one for mine and then possibly a few others but I HATE fibreglass :(

btw just gone and got A few tins of , gloss silver for my cylinder head and engine bracket crap, then satin black for the block.

All because you've made my OCD worse :eek: thanks !

Audi A5

I had ones of these, it was crap, please don't do it. subs are so 2010!

P.S the engine bay is f**king awesome.

Ph1
You wouldn't get the 'bass' if it hugged the arch plus there isn't the space to cram a sub in between the arch liner and the back seat or tailgate. Its contoured to the arch at the rear and from memory is ported. Certainly did the job and much better than sticking a random box placed in the boot. Other alternative could be the spare wheel well.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Looking great mate - love this

Where did you get the HU? any idea if you can connect a connect 2 for the iphone?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Chavvy is bunging two 15inch bins in the back of a 1.1 206 'bassin' it out down the local highstreet.

Putting a nice quality 10 inch install in the boot to give the sound quality a bit of a boost is the right way of doing it and the way Scott will be doing it.