ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sean's BG 182 Track car

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Hi guys !

Bored at work so thought I'd do a little build thread of my Clio !

It started a few years ago when I was 18 nearly 19 I was after a new car and I had just been to test drive a Corsa Vxr and something didn't feel right,

So on the way back my friend suggested I looked at his mates 182, it was a 54 plate bg 182 with no history and was a cat d recorded car but with 45k on the clock I thought it's worth a look! I didn't know anything about these cars in terms of belt history etc but there we go.. So I went and drove it and to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with it, it didn't feel as fast as I was hoping at first ( wasn't going over 5k as the owner was in the car ) we got into a longer stretch of road and he told me to open it up ! And as soon as I did I wanted it ! So I bought the car there and then I think for around about £1000 and this is where it all started
IMG_2938.JPG

I had this car for around a year done some track days in it had great fun with it, although it was standard it had a set of pilot sport exaltos and I put braided lines and brembo discs and pads and I was loving it.Eventually I bought a scorpion RS 192 with decat and some turini's and lowered it a bit wit some cheap springs which I later took back off because it ruined the drive of the car I thought but it looked like this..
IMG_0414.JPG

But then eventually crashed it ( no pics of this ) was only light damage but I instantly fell out of love for the car!

Life kind of got in the way at that point I was working about 40 mins from home so I bought a run around and used that and moved in with my other half and the clio just was left on my mums drive for about a year, one day I popped to see my mum and I just thought id get something out the garage so rolled the clio back and then got my bits and left. That night I was thinking about the car and decided I wanted to do something with it and also mum was moaning about it lol, so my friends rallied behind me offered to help as I have no mechanical knowladge what so ever !

So we started to strip the car down and eventually found that the slam bar has been bent and the car had been got at by the previous owner, was easily repairable but I didn't want to put money into a categorised car. So, I was then on a hunt for a new shell, found one on Ebay for next to nothing borrowed a van and a trailer and shot round the m25 to get it. Getting home at around 2am I had my new clio,
shell.JPG

Work got started the next day ( whilst I was at work )

My mate had the car rolling and it looked like a car in no time
IMG_1339.JPG

Now that the car was being built up from the old clio things were moving very quickly I bought some second hand gaz coil overs just to get me by
I was all over the web looking for parts and managed to get hold of a cup racer seat and harness for next to nothing so again mad dash to the van and collected that night incase I missed out!
The car was up and running in no time I was so excited to drive it ! Was only missing a steering wheel and I couldn't have the standard bus sized wheel so I went on the hunt for a better one and ended up buying this..
IMG_1379.JPG

Whilst the wings were getting put on I found a picture of a foreign clio cup with what looked like wide wings after a bit of research I found that it was just washers in the middle bolt for the wings so I done that to mine to give it that wider look and I love them! But don't have any pics of them lol !

Whilst the car was off the road I had a new cam belt water pump and dephaser and a set of prima cams thrown in aswell, whilst the rocker cover was off we discovered that my head has taken a beating and was beyond repair, so we got hold of a doner head from a 172 engine and that got sent off for new valves and all the rest of it!

With it all back together the car was ready to be driven ( unmapped ) I hadn't thought about looking for a front bumper so my friend plastic welded mine back together as it was damaged in the accident to get by until I found a decent front bumper
IMG_1391.JPG

Gave it a clean for the first time in about 2 years and it came up mint! although this was technically a different car, a bit like Rodney and his broom i guess lol
IMG_1394.JPG

That's how the car stayed for a few month I kind of forgot about it, until I too it to a rolling road day with some friends, knowing it wasn't mapped I wasn't expecting the best and knew I shouldn't really be driving it un mapped any way but I wanted to see what it was running before I had it mapped... It came out at 166bhp

Needless to say there was something wrong with the car I got straight onto Andy at engine dynamics and after suggesting possible things to look at I decided that the best thing to do would be to put my hand in my pocket and just give it to him to sort out and map ! So off it went
IMG_2385.JPG

Whilst it was up there I got on the hunt for new bits so got my self

Some brembo calipers from a 197.
And got some oz ultralaggera's and some toyo r888's ready for when the car came back!

The car was away for about 2 weeks as I knew Andy was busy so just said to get on it between jobs so I was in no rush for it to come back as I knew it was in safe hands!

Got a phone call from andy saying
The car was all done and the timing was the culprit for my low power run and the car made 190.2 bhp after his map! I was well happy with that couldn't wait to pick the car up.
Collected the car and as soon as it came off the truck I whacked the brembos on and intended on taking it for a drive. But my oz f1's didn't fit over the calipers so I was a bit stuck luckily I had my track wheels ready to go so I road tested the car on those and
I loved it ! Drove spot on Andy really sorted it out feels so different from the old car really responsive and still pulls well ! I opted out of the pop and bang map because it does my head in but I'm pleased to report that it does do the odd pop and bang and flame if I'm really hammering it! So perfect for me!
IMG_2529.JPG

Stayed like that for a while really, I managed to find some team dynamic pro race 1.2's so i decided to put my ad08's onto the oz's and have them as my road wheels and then put the r888's on the TD's for track so i didnt ruin them on the road when the car does go out lol.

I attended a local show for me ( BHP show, Lydden hill ) as this was the cars first proper outing i cleaned it right up and got ready to see what it was like out on track!
IMG_2718.JPG

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Little rolling shot on route to BHP 2015
IMG_2743.JPG

Got a really good reception a lot of my friends were happy to see me in a clio again as it had been about 2 and a bit years since they last saw me in one lol
Got some great track photos also
IMG_2752.JPG
IMG_2753.JPG
IMG_2754.JPG
IMG_2755.JPG
IMG_2756.JPG

Felt the car was amazing to drive really quick and that track is perfect for little cars like the clio so i was showing up a lot bigger stuff ! Great fun

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The car stayed like that for a while i done a few track days in it Done snetterton back in september, a few clios there any one from on here??
IMG_3751.JPG

Most recently was Brands Indy, a lot of traffic but really good fun out on track again a few clios were there so had a good drive with most of them battling through the traffic
IMG_3831.JPG
IMG_3832.JPG

The car's not had much love from me lately i recently bought it a clio 197 engine and gear box to convert into my car over winter but now i feel like i cant be bothered and i would rather do little mods to make me enjoy the car as it is now so that is up for sale,

So with the winter prep making way i had the car sent off for a custom weld in 6 point cage
IMG_3908.JPG
IMG_3934.JPG

So that's how the car sits now, my plans this winter is to tidy up the interior with a lick of paint, unsure on the colour atm as i wanted white but it seems every one does white, and also to get a PMS shifter as my short s**t has broken so may aswell go one better with it, purchase the Roll center correction hubs and get a gripper diff and new bushes / rose joints throughout and possibly some ITB's and the EPAS kit. Next year i want to run slicks on the track as im aiming to get the car into the 55second lap times around brands, i know its ambitious but ill give it a go, my current best time is a 57,4 lap of the indy thats is with my current spec of r888's, 190bhp, KWv2 suspension and a whiteline RARB, so hopefully with slicks and a diff and the hubs itll be do able!

Thanks for reading, Sorry if it was boring as im sure it is compared to the other cars on this site!

That was a good read and the car looks great.

I was at the recent brands Indy track evening as well and like you say it was so busy but your car was going well. I had the other bg Clio and was parked next to yours while we had the briefing so I had a quick look around your car then :cool:.

Getting into the 57s around brands is really good! The tricolour guys on here do 55s so if you get anywhere near that pace your doing well.

Subscribed :up:

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
That was a good read and the car looks great.

I was at the recent brands Indy track evening as well and like you say it was so busy but your car was going well. I had the other bg Clio and was parked next to yours while we had the briefing so I had a quick look around your car then :cool:.

Getting into the 57s around brands is really good! The tricolour guys on here do 55s so if you get anywhere near that pace your doing well.

Subscribed :up:

You were flying around Brands to be fair. I've never actually timed myself around there but I'm a bit of a tart lol

Cheers guys! It was such a spur of the moment decision to go to brands, my office pretty much behind brands hatch infact if i stand in the car park i can see paddock hill bend lol so i just though 'f**k it' and left early and went and got the clio i wish i put my track tyres on now but still for what it was, still good fun on the ad08's!

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Started pulling interior looms out and just working out what colour to paint the interior and cage, I'm swaying toward a ford sea grey interior with a red roll cage? Any suggestions ??
Some pictures to see the state it's in at the moment, must invest in a car cover!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Was wondering if you ever did a progress thread!

Hate seeing your BG, it reminds me of my previous one - hey ho! ;)

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Grey interior and red cage would work very well! Have you considered RB cage and wheels? Always looks good with black bodywork imo!
That's a good thought actually I never even considered that mate! You've thrown a spanner in the works now

Can you tell what is your rear brake setup ?
Just standard rear brake set up mate

Was wondering if you ever did a progress thread!

Hate seeing your BG, it reminds me of my previous one - hey ho! :wink:
I do often wish I reshelled into a cup shell but when it's clean I love it lol
How you getting on with the ph1 sort the braking issues?

That's a good thought actually I never even considered that mate! You've thrown a spanner in the works now

Just standard rear brake set up mate

I do often wish I reshelled into a cup shell but when it's clean I love it lol
How you getting on with the ph1 sort the braking issues?

No mate, brake issue is still very much apparent! IM SO CONFUSED - I'm probably going to make my own lines and use a bias valve, as I'm pissed off with it! on a brighter note, my 197 callipers and lines have been delivered what pads do you use?

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
No mate, brake issue is still very much apparent! IM SO CONFUSED - I'm probably going to make my own lines and use a bias valve, as I'm pissed off with it! on a brighter note, my 197 callipers and lines have been delivered what pads do you use?

I use ferodo ds3000 mate thinking of going to the newer ones ds1.11 I think they're called or maybe even something else, they are mega squeaky though lol but don't bother me as it's purely a toy, I'll find a video for reference lol

haha, yep i know that sound I've got ds3000s on mine! All be it not much pressure to the front pads, so not MC squeek

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Not much progress but started to paint the floor decided black just because I'm lazy and when I scratch it all up with my carelessness it's easy to patch back up lol
Started to etch prime the cage I'm thinking of going for a red cage or maybe a bright yellow I'm not sure yet, as far as mods go.. Well I'm waiting to take delivery of my fibreglass boot lid and poly rear screan, probably won't be buying too much for it this side of Christmas now :( hate Christmas!

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Done a bit more to the car tonight got rid of the remaining sound deadening that I should of done before I got the cage installed but ran out of time
And got the cage finished in primer! Need to work out what colour to finish the interior in as I'm still unsure

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Decided to give the old girl a wash as it was very dusty also got the windscreen out so it is pretty much ready to get masked up and painted now! Then just built back up hopefully ready for the track day at Bedford in feb!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Saw a video showing my moment at my last brands track day, as I turned into paddock on quite a hot lap a caterham had spun and ended up on the grass but obviously o was still on the brakes making for a wobbly moment all the way down paddock hill lol!

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
My fibre glass bootlid turned up so I wasted no time in seeing how it fitted and as usual with the cm composites stuff it was spot on!
Any tips or advice on fitting it with my omp pins so any help would be nice
image.jpeg

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Pass the pins through where the original boot grommets are mate.

Ah ok cool man! I think the immediate job is to have a tidy up around the car again as it's got a bit out of hand and I can't find anything At the mo then I'll get onto it lol

How's your car coming on ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ah ok cool man! I think the immediate job is to have a tidy up around the car again as it's got a bit out of hand and I can't find anything At the mo then I'll get onto it lol

How's your car coming on ?
Erm, well it's still in the garage! I saw it today when I was in there sorting other odds and sods out. Lol! I'll have a bit of a push again in the new year.

Possibly. Lol

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Erm, well it's still in the garage! I saw it today when I was in there sorting other odds and sods out. Lol! I'll have a bit of a push again in the new year.
Possibly. Lol

Lol I do that sometimes where my unit is the opposite way to home from work and it is a good 20/30min drive i am finding it hard to dedicate time to go up and have a sort out, I find just sitting in the car and turning it on builds enthusiasm enough to buy something lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Lol I do that sometimes where my unit is the opposite way to home from work and it is a good 20/30min drive i am finding it hard to dedicate time to go up and have a sort out, I find just sitting in the car and turning it on builds enthusiasm enough to buy something lol
Whereas I'm only a 2-3 second walk away from mine! I've got 4 gearboxes in for rebuild and Quaife diff fitting so they're taking up space atm. I've only got the bell and rotor setup to buy now and I'm about done!

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Whereas I'm only a 2-3 second walk away from mine! I've got 4 gearboxes in for rebuild and Quaife diff fitting so they're taking up space atm. I've only got the bell and rotor setup to buy now and I'm about done!

Lol I'd love to have the car so close to me like that not that I would do anything more to it! I got rid of my 197 engine in the end but that money had to go toward Christmas! So annoying but that's one of the joys of being self employed I guess! I'm sure work will pick back up in the New Year, well I hope so I want a gripper lol