ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

seat ibiza cupra vs clio rs 3

clio 197, mazda rx7
duno if its bin posted before but here we go;
hello all,
my mate has just brought a seat ibiza cupra on a 2001 plate, have no idea if its a r or not.
he wants to have a little play later today, was wondering if any one has messed around with one before, and what im to expect?
thanks drifter197 :)

gtruk are you high?!

It will be similar in a straight line but if the road bends you'll lose him. If the seats been modded (even a remap) he will be quicker in a straight line

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
on a road it would take a good few miles to lose any car with such similar stats. even if it was a "twisty"

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Cant get high at work, and certinaly dont get high at home. The 197 lacks low down torque and quite frankly i think its slow. The leon however if an R should be quicker in acceleration :D But please do seee the previous >IMO<

Cant get high at work, and certinaly dont get high at home. The 197 lacks low down torque and quite frankly i think its slow. The leon however if an R should be quicker in acceleration :D But please do seee the previous >IMO<
its not a leon, its an ibiza

like said the ibiza standard u should have no problem reali including gettin him in the twistys

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
speeds reached on a road are not the same as a track

Well there is 0.5 a second in 0-60 and about 1 second in 0-100 which is nothing.

All the V’s threads, unless its there is a big difference in power/ power to weight, will all will be down to bravery and skill behind the wheel the driver.

Like the fiesta ST thread. Put the Stig in a ST and he would whoop the ass of all on here id expect, modded 1#2 or not.

RB 200 Cup!
^ can see your point - im a s**t driver so no doubt the stig would beat me in a panda if i was in a lambo ;)

Up rocks
Cupra (156bhp) is ok, even the R is flat in standard form (180bhp). 197 will have it in a straight line and in the corners. Cupras cornering is shocking, mine had to have Bilstien PSS9's to even make it bearable. Speaking from experience as i've not long got rid of my 220bhp Cupra.

Get your mate to get the Ibiza mapped, CustomCode would be best, next choice would be REVO. Should then see around the 200bhp and should also push the torque up to anything between 240lb/ft and 265lb/ft. To be fair though even then it will 'feel' fast but i'd still put money on the 197.

To get the Cupra to kill the 197 you would want a k03s turbo with downpipe, sports CAT and CAT back to match, FMIC and custom mapping. Should see around 250bhp and 275lb/ft. 250bhp in a Cupra definatly pins you to the seat all the way up to 140mph.

Last edited:
  RB 182 & Lotus Evora
basically same power output then if the R. Although i bet when "racing" each other it will be on a straight bit of road.

Up rocks
Also worth mentioning that the turbo on both the Cupra and Cupra R is quite small (k03) which means it tends to run out of puff at 5500/6000k.

ko3 is completly pointless al later 1.820v engines came with a ko4s turbo which i much better option.

any reall power will see you looking towards the garrett t28 conversion which will see you at 350 -370bhp reliable and quite quick :cool:

Clio 182 Cup
''Cant get high at work, and certinaly dont get high at home. The 197 lacks low down torque and quite frankly i think its slow. The leon however if an R should be quicker in acceleration :D But please do seee the previous >IMO<''

I think you must want a seat then mate!! will b close if its a r, 197 round the bends.

Turbo LY R27

197s aint slow matey!:nono: My mate has a leon cupra R and to be honest its pretty even with us. Only 110- 120 is where his biggest adventage is over me.

vw bora
on the road there aint gunna be much difference probaly a car length or two even round a couple of corners there has gotta be a big power difference to pulll away, would say the cupra tuned would pull on the 197 but standard 197 would have a slight edge but like i said its only gunna be a tiny difference and no difference at all if rolling start like most races we all have on the road :rasp:

Up rocks
on the road there aint gunna be much difference probaly a car length or two even round a couple of corners there has gotta be a big power difference to pulll away, would say the cupra tuned would pull on the 197 but standard 197 would have a slight edge but like i said its only gunna be a tiny difference and no difference at all if rolling start like most races we all have on the road :rasp:

On the road you WILL see a difference, a standard Cupra wil get owned plain and simple. When you say a tuned Cupra that is a very open ended statement as there are absolutely tons of Cupras out there running anything between 200bhp and 400bhp+, there is no 'norm' when it comes to tuning the 1.8T, theres loads of popular tuning options that vary in power outputs. As stated the Cupra is not the R version (otherwise it would have the R badge on the grill and also have red seat belts etc etc and not tuned, so standard vs standard my moneys still on the 197.

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
Have had an Ibiza Cupra and a 197. Both cars standard the 197 would win in a straight line and the twistys. I had my cupra remapped taking it to 200bhp and that would beat the 197 in a straight line with ease but on the twistys the 197 would still win.

Up rocks
Have had an Ibiza Cupra and a 197. Both cars standard the 197 would win in a straight line and the twistys. I had my cupra remapped taking it to 200bhp and that would beat the 197 in a straight line with ease but on the twistys the 197 would still win.

Easy to think a remapped Cupra would be faster as they 'feel' fast as most generic maps give a boot full of power between 2500rpm and 400rpm but if you take note of the actual pace of the car you would be surprised at how 'slow' for lack of a better word it is. I'm surrounded by 1.8Ts of all guises and state of tune on a daily basis and would put money on a standard remapped Ibiza Cupra/Cupra R being no faster than my Cup in a straight line, standing or rolling start.

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
to think a remapped Cupra would be faster as they 'feel' fast as most generic maps give a boot full of power between 2500rpm and 400rpm but if you take note of the actual pace of the car you would be surprised at how 'slow' for lack of a better word it is. I'm surrounded by 1.8Ts of all guises and state of tune on a daily basis and would put money on a standard remapped Ibiza Cupra/Cupra R being no faster than my Cup in a straight line, standing or rolling start.

I've had a 172 cup as well and that felt faster in a straight line then the 197.

I think the 172 cup is better than the 197 TBH ;)

Up rocks
to think a remapped Cupra would be faster as they 'feel' fast as most generic maps give a boot full of power between 2500rpm and 400rpm but if you take note of the actual pace of the car you would be surprised at how 'slow' for lack of a better word it is. I'm surrounded by 1.8Ts of all guises and state of tune on a daily basis and would put money on a standard remapped Ibiza Cupra/Cupra R being no faster than my Cup in a straight line, standing or rolling start.

I've had a 172 cup as well and that felt faster in a straight line then the 197.

I think the 172 cup is better than the 197 TBH ;)

Well that i cant comment on as i've never driven a 197 ;)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Easy to think a remapped Cupra would be faster as they 'feel' fast as most generic maps give a boot full of power between 2500rpm and 400rpm but if you take note of the actual pace of the car you would be surprised at how 'slow' for lack of a better word it is. I'm surrounded by 1.8Ts of all guises and state of tune on a daily basis and would put money on a standard remapped Ibiza Cupra/Cupra R being no faster than my Cup in a straight line, standing or rolling start.

LOL give it up mate! He's had both, you can't say fairer than that tbh.

Im sure std v std a 197 would easily win. I think a remapped cupra would win in a straight line.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

197s aint slow matey!:nono: My mate has a leon cupra R and to be honest its pretty even with us. Only 110- 120 is where his biggest adventage is over me.

Leon cupra R will start pulling away after 80. Mapped LCR won't be seen for dust...

197s are brill a road blasters. Bank for buck they can't be beaten :)

Up rocks

Im sure std v std a 197 would easily win. I think a remapped cupra would win in a straight line.

I'm sorry but i live next door to the biggest 1.8T tuner in the south of England. I've had 2 modded Cupras, my brother and my missus both have mk4 Golf 1.8Ts, my mate has had 2 Cupras all tuned by my neighbour, who incedently has a 500/600bhp Ibiza in his garage that hes built from scratch near enough, oh and his wife has a 250bhp Lupo 1.8T that he built. I know ALOT about the 1.8T. The only reason i dont have one now is due to the running costs that came with the ease of my ever growing engine modding i was doing.

Granted i havnt driven a 197, but have had a straight line play with a 197 Cup in my Cup and i couldnt see a difference in perfromance. And if i base what i know about performance between my Cup and a 197, then add to that what i know about Ibiza Cupras then i know that the 197 will be faster. I'm sure we'll find out when the OP meets up with his mate and has a play. :cool:

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
The 197 has a top speed of 134mph and the cupra over 140mph. So in theory the cupra will win.....Eventually :)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

I'm sorry but i live next door to the biggest 1.8T tuner in the south of England. I've had 2 modded Cupras, my brother and my missus both have mk4 Golf 1.8Ts, my mate has had 2 Cupras all tuned by my neighbour, who incedently has a 500/600bhp Ibiza in his garage that hes built from scratch near enough, oh and his wife has a 250bhp Lupo 1.8T that he built. I know ALOT about the 1.8T. The only reason i dont have one now is due to the running costs that came with the ease of my ever growing engine modding i was doing.

Granted i havnt driven a 197, but have had a straight line play with a 197 Cup in my Cup and i couldnt see a difference in perfromance. And if i base what i know about performance between my Cup and a 197, then add to that what i know about Ibiza Cupras then i know that the 197 will be faster. I'm sure we'll find out when the OP meets up with his mate and has a play. :cool:

The 600bhp Ibiza sounds interesting, whats it running?

I suggest you drive a 197 if you haven’t already. The 197 may well be quick but it certainly can be beaten. Unfortunately there’s a lot of people out there with rose tinted spectacles...

Up rocks
AL_G said:
The 600bhp Ibiza sounds interesting, whats it running?

I suggest you drive a 197 if you haven’t already. The 197 may well be quick but it certainly can be beaten. Unfortunately there’s a lot of people out there with rose tinted spectacles...

The Ibiza has been undergoing a rebuild this year ready for next years Castle Combe national windscreens championship, its had so many turbos on in the past that unsure exatly what it has now but heres some info...

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151723

Very impressive car tbf.

Last edited:

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
  clio 197, mazda rx7
had a play last night, and i can honestly say i absoultley destroyed him :D, didnt stand a chance. and driving skills were probs bout the same but ive prob got the edge over him. standing starts/rolling starts from 10-20mph and booting from 70 i pulled away every time. from standing and standing/rolling there was probs 8+ car lenghts i had on him and from 70 may 1-2 car lenghts upto what we agreed we'd hit (top speed wise).
i also drove the cupra, not bad cars at really someone said they run out around 5500-6000 rpm and that was very true thamometer goes up to 8k, the ride is very harsh imo and handling and braking very shocking considering the speed of the car, think you all have to agree they look bloody nice from the front

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
had a play last night, and i can honestly say i absoultley destroyed him :D, didnt stand a chance. and driving skills were probs bout the same but ive prob got the edge over him. standing starts/rolling starts from 10-20mph and booting from 70 i pulled away every time. from standing and standing/rolling there was probs 8+ car lenghts i had on him and from 70 may 1-2 car lenghts upto what we agreed we'd hit (top speed wise).
i also drove the cupra, not bad cars at really someone said they run out around 5500-6000 rpm and that was very true thamometer goes up to 8k, the ride is very harsh imo and handling and braking very shocking considering the speed of the car, think you all have to agree they look bloody nice from the front

Good lad!

I take it his isnt an Mk3 Cupra-R (these were 180bhp std buy can easily be mapped to 210+)? I would still expect you to beat a std ICR but a remaped car should be quicker in a straight line...

Peak power on my LCR is @ 2200rpm so it makes it pointless reving past 6000 as the power drops off rapidly. The same will apply to the ibiza...

clio 197, mazda rx7

Good lad!

I take it his isnt an Mk3 Cupra-R (these were 180bhp std buy can easily be mapped to 210+)? I would still expect you to beat a std ICR but a remaped car should be quicker in a straight line...

Peak power on my LCR is @ 2200rpm so it makes it pointless reving past 6000 as the power drops off rapidly. The same will apply to the ibiza...

it was a 2001 y reg, so duno wot mrk that makes it, i know it dnt need to go past 5500 rpm but why show 8k? lol, its im just used to hitting 7500-8k rpm now coz both my 197 and my rx 7 hit that high :)

clio 172 cup

Good lad!

u mean peak torque peak power doesnt happen until 5k revs

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Good lad!

u mean peak torque peak power doesnt happen until 5k revs

Yup, too early lol :(

peak power is 5900 I think