ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seat Ibiza Turbo vs 172

Had the fortune of racing one of these on a private road.

They are quick - not quite as quick as the 172 but very very close. I decided that I would follow and had too back off twice from getting close to him. 1st Time was top end of 3rd and then top end of 4th. Was rather frustrating really coz each time I had to back off he was obviously still accelerating and it just meant that I wasnt accelerating so he probably got the impression that it was even.

The 0-100 times confirm that it is slightly slower - not by much though....

Fast cars !

From my experience they are not fast at all in comparison to a 172(test drove 156 hp version and 180 R version) my pal has a chipped 156 hp version and it has about 200 hp its totally even with with my bros 172 on the road and 1/4 strip (Teady172) When my bro had his V6 Laguna and raced him standard he totally humped him like a 172 would a 1.6! Was a shame for my pal he actually thought it was quick (that made him get the chip) At the end of the day these things cant handle the power when chipped they have really rank handling standard so when u chip them to 200 hp they are a liability.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

My mate has one and it is a very nice car.

Definately tell the massive VW influence and its built very well.

Like you said, as standard the Cupra aint as quick as the 172 in a straight line dash, but they have a lot of low end grunt and the turbo means impressive mid-range pulling power.

Can be tuned for big power, but the chassis aint the best, so they cant really handle the power...

Paa handling can be made very good with coilovers etc, many are running over 200 bhp & handle the added grunt no problem.

they are amazing cars i love em, and to get em pushing big big power is alot cheaper than it is to get a clio pushing big big power!

Matt

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 02 March 2003

From my experience they are not fast at all in comparison to a 172(test drove 156 hp version and 180 R version) my pal has a chipped 156 hp version and it has about 200 hp its totally even with with my bros 172 on the road and 1/4 strip (Teady172) When my bro had his V6 Laguna and raced him standard he totally humped him like a 172 would a 1.6! Was a shame for my pal he actually thought it was quick (that made him get the chip) At the end of the day these things cant handle the power when chipped they have really rank handling standard so when u chip them to 200 hp they are a liability.

with LSD and Billie coil overs they seem to handle 330hp quite well

a mate at work had a cupra, quite nice and he seemed to like it until last tuesday when he rolled it in the centre of york and wrote it off. Ooops.

Quote: Originally posted by Jase1 on 02 March 2003

Paa handling can be made very good with coilovers etc, many are running over 200 bhp & handle the added grunt no problem.

Sounds like a max power generation quote, coilovers dont fix everything!