ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SEAT Leon Cupra R or Clio 182 Cup

Id take a Meggy 225 over the ugly LCR all day long. IMHO its just a fat car with big wheels. No-one looks at it and no-one cares. The Meg draws gazes.

Had a go in my mates LCR the other day - its quick but didnt feel as fast or as much fun as my cup. For me its the fun bit that matters.

Fair points, but the cost vs performance thing is nonesense, who buys a car purely because its faster? If I wanted outright performance, id buy another RX7, the Leon costs extra because it is a better built car, that holds its value better.

Its the same thing, people go on about how they can keep up with my S2000 in something that costs less, but I dont really mind, because I didnt buy my S purely on the basis they are as fast as something else.

The people that say "bet youre gutted cause my cheaper car can keep up with yours" may as well strap a rocket to a rollerskate, because it has as much bearing on car choice (for me) as whether it has two cup holders or not.

I dont care if someone in a cheaper car can go quicker. Yes, the Clio is an excellent performer, and can keep up with more expensive cars, but youll find that the motive for people buying those more expensive cars isnt for the sole reason of being faster than cars that are cheaper, theres many other factors that influence a decision.

An Evo can keep up with a Ferrari, if I had the money, Id buy the Ferrari thanks.

Quote: Originally posted by SideShowBob on 22 June 2005

Fair points, but the cost vs performance thing is nonesense, who buys a car purely because its faster? If I wanted outright performance, id buy another RX7, the Leon costs extra because it is a better built car, that holds its value better.

Its the same thing, people go on about how they can keep up with my S2000 in something that costs less, but I dont really mind, because I didnt buy my S purely on the basis they are as fast as something else.

The people that say "bet youre gutted cause my cheaper car can keep up with yours" may as well strap a rocket to a rollerskate, because it has as much bearing on car choice (for me) as whether it has two cup holders or not.

I dont care if someone in a cheaper car can go quicker. Yes, the Clio is an excellent performer, and can keep up with more expensive cars, but youll find that the motive for people buying those more expensive cars isnt for the sole reason of being faster than cars that are cheaper, theres many other factors that influence a decision.

An Evo can keep up with a Ferrari, if I had the money, Id buy the Ferrari thanks.
Well said.

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 22 June 2005

Id take a Meggy 225 over the ugly LCR all day long. IMHO its just a fat car with big wheels. No-one looks at it and no-one cares. The Meg draws gazes.
Comical:D

Some people just dont have a clue. Why would people gaze at the megane, it has the ugliest rear end in motoring history!

Only 182 quick aswell so whats the point, just buy the clio:D

Id say def the Clio. Ive gone from a Golf V6 4Motion to a 182 cup. Youll find the bigger car slower, thirstier and not as fun to drive. The CLR would feel much smoother but it def wouldnt be as quick. I know its got more bhp but the Clio is alot lighter.

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 22 June 2005

Some people just dont have a clue. Why would people gaze at the megane, it has the ugliest rear end in motoring history!

wish that were true matey. i saw an inferno 225 the other day on my way to work and it looked amazing.. also ive driven one and its faster than my 172 by a fair after 70mph so i doubt a 182 would be same performance although maybe not much in it.

it does still do 150mph 0-60 in 6.5 and with a £400 remap would do 160mph 0-60 in -6.0 so derserves some credit imo.

it is faster than an LCR, WRX to 100 but only by a tiny margin

Quote: Originally posted by Hanleyrh on 22 June 2005

Id say def the Clio. Ive gone from a Golf V6 4Motion to a 182 cup. Youll find the bigger car slower, thirstier and not as fun to drive. The CLR would feel much smoother but it def wouldnt be as quick. I know its got more bhp but the Clio is alot lighter.
Well i went from a 172 Cup to a LCR, and i can tell you the LCR does feel quicker, although its about the same performance wise. Its the power delivery that does it.

The v6 4Motion makes the Leon look like its on a diet!

love my renos, but the cupra was amazing to drive (specially that cool little whistley noise it makes) - dunno about the cupra r, but can only assume it is even better - the only question id ask is what colour to go for???

Quote: Originally posted by 16vMuppet on 22 June 2005

love my renos, but the cupra was amazing to drive (specially that cool little whistley noise it makes) - dunno about the cupra r, but can only assume it is even better - the only question id ask is what colour to go for???
:) think ill take a black one please.

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 22 June 2005 Id take a Meggy 225 over the ugly LCR all day long. IMHO its just a fat car with big wheels. No-one looks at it and no-one cares. The Meg draws gazes. [/QUOTE]Comical:DSome people just dont have a clue. Why would people gaze at the megane, it has the ugliest rear end in motoring history!Only 182 quick aswell so whats the point, just buy the clio:D

It might be comical mate but its my opinion. I dont like the look of the LCR, and I love the look of the Megane. Not sure how that means I dont have a clue :eek:

IMHO the Meg 225 is a far more eye catching car than the LCR. Glad you think thats funny ;)

Clio 200 Cup packed

megane is the latest groundbreaking design, leon is being replaced by a horrible new boring design in a couple of months.

make of that what you will, although neither really appeal to me...

It might be comical mate but its my opinion. I dont like the look of the LCR, and I love the look of the Megane. Not sure how that means I dont have a clue :eek:

IMHO the Meg 225 is a far more eye catching car than the LCR. Glad you think thats funny ;)

roy, have you ever driven a cupra or cupra-r? im guessing not, perhaps you should give one a spin, your thoughts may change!

Quote: Originally posted by SideShowBob on 22 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by 16vMuppet on 22 June 2005

:) think ill take a black one please.
i like my black cars too, there again i also like the red and yellow :confused: (def not silver tho). i cant even decide what chocolate bar to eat, let alone what colour car to go for!

Dude, I dont doubt its probably a very capable car, and no doubt bloody fast too. Im simply saying I dont like its looks, and that Id rather have a Meg 225, especially a Trophy :)

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 21 June 2005

Not to go off topic to much. But when is the new model Leon out?

My dads mate works for seat, and says it should be here by the end of the year, but i dont know if thats the cupra r as well in the new model. He says that his showroom are getting a new shape leon in full rally spec soon, just to sit in the showroom, he is going to try and get a go in it!

Elise/VX220/R26

Sorry to gang up on mitchy, I might be biased but Im with Roy Munson, the megane draws a ridiculous amount of attention for what it is. It has a broad appeal from boy racers to Audi drivers who want to know what it is. Has the appeal of still being an exceptionally rare car to say its from a major manufacturer.

Heres the ugly brute in full glory

http://www.meganesport.net/gallery/jonseal/images/DSCF0060.jpg

http://www.meganesport.net/gallery/jonseal/images/DSCF0061.jpg

Each to their own like but why would you buy anLCR when you can have a megane 225? Madness! ;)

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I thought about a Megane 225 but I just couldnt bear having Renault build quality again thats why the LCR won me over!

Elise/VX220/R26

225 build quality is a lot lot better than the 172/182, dont ask me why, no rattles or anything from it. Obviously its not VAG quality, I found the LCR interior very below par for a supposedly sporty car, I went and looked at one but when I sat in it I didnt even need a test drive, I like at least a small amount of bling!

The 225 interior is utterly stunning. I love it. Really feels like youre sitting in something special.

RE: Build - Last year I drove a DCi Meg for several weeks, and it was very well screwed together. Nice switch gear, nice plastics, and not a single rattle or squeak from anywhere.

Elise/VX220/R26

I was surprised actually as my 172 halways had between 2 and 5 rattles at any one time, I assume the meg is made in the same factory? Just shows they can do it when they put their mind to it!

Doubt that the base car is made in the same plant. Most plants only make one model, although I dont know in renaults case. Although the plant isnt the issue anyway, its the engineering. A cheap car has to be engineered relatively cheaply. Its not the workers in the plants. Car factories are run with surgical accuracy and economy. The workers just follow the engineering practises that the car was designed around. Right down to tne very last screw.

Most people dont realise that profit margins are tiny. A small car int cheaper because its smaller. Its cheaper because its engineered to a lower standard. Think about it - making a small car uses just the same components and features as a bigger car, but people expect them to be cheaper, so they have to be built cheaper. Its not the manufactures inability to engineer a small car well, its just that to make it cheaply they have to make compromises. The Clio is a top seller because its cheap and does a good job.

Take a look at a VW Lupo GTi, its about the same price as a 182Cup, yet the Cup is a thousand times faster, but the Lupo is better built. You pays your money...The Megane is better engineered car because its newer, and so technologies have become cheaper, and also because its just a better engineered car that costs more. It doesnt cost nore because its bigger, it costs more because its better built. These days we get an AMAZING level of value in our cars.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 23 June 2005

I thought about a Megane 225 but I just couldnt bear having Renault build quality again thats why the LCR won me over!
spot on, thats why Im getting a LCR. Loved the 172, hated the reliability and dealers. Theres not a lot to choose, but if you not up for constant warranty workn then then the meganes not for you.

Elise/VX220/R26

my 225 has gone nowhere near a dealer, my 172 had been in about 4 times over the same period of owning it (about 2 months)

Another guy whos had a 172 Cup and now has an LCR. No regrets whatsoever, the LCR is by far the better all round car. Megane 225 is just plain ugly IMHO, although I do like that Orange colour they come in.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I think mine might be chipped! Not sure how I would find out??? If its not then its damn fast as a CTR just found out!

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 21 June 2005

There are 2 03 plate LCRs round here for £11.5k, they are 210s mind you. The 225 is slightly better inside (nicer steering wheel).

I almost bought a LCR just over a year ago but I bought a CTR instead as I thought the LCR would be 2 thirsty...how wrong could I be!! My CTR had a real drink problem most I ever got out of £35 was about 220 miles. Sold that and bought another 172 that was great but I have now taken the plunge and have a LCR. Not had it long but its proving me wrong as its being very economical getting about 34mpg on my work run and according to the trip Im gonna get about 350 miles on a tank (£40) if thats the case then its cheaper to run that the 172!! :D

Oh and its smooth and quiet and rattle free unlike the 172!!

http://www.cliosport.net/members/photos/s_ARUUMKTQWS.jpg <---------------------:D

OMG you finally took the plunge... well done mate, welcome on board

Sorry I stole the black one from under you :oops: but im sure youve now forgiven me...

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by Hippychick on 24 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 21 June 2005

There are 2 03 plate LCRs round here for £11.5k, they are 210s mind you. The 225 is slightly better inside (nicer steering wheel).

I almost bought a LCR just over a year ago but I bought a CTR instead as I thought the LCR would be 2 thirsty...how wrong could I be!! My CTR had a real drink problem most I ever got out of £35 was about 220 miles. Sold that and bought another 172 that was great but I have now taken the plunge and have a LCR. Not had it long but its proving me wrong as its being very economical getting about 34mpg on my work run and according to the trip Im gonna get about 350 miles on a tank (£40) if thats the case then its cheaper to run that the 172!! :D

Oh and its smooth and quiet and rattle free unlike the 172!!

http://www.cliosport.net/members/photos/s_ARUUMKTQWS.jpg <---------------------:D

OMG you finally took the plunge... well done mate, welcome on board

Sorry I stole the black one from under you :oops: but im sure youve now forgiven me...

Haha....remember I wouldnt buy the yellow one...guess what I now have a yellow one!! :D

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

LMAO...

Attention seeker ;)

I SO didnt want the yellow one...

Fluttering my eyelids got me the black one ... *sniggers*

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by zippyy on 24 June 2005

when i test drove an lcr it just felt to soft and felt like a whale round the bends
Its a 4 door and considerably heavier....what do you expect? A different class of car cant really compare the 2!

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Jones on 25 June 2005
Id get an audi S3 similiar money but higher miles

that was my first choice but I coudnt find one with less than 40k on

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 25 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by zippyy on 24 June 2005when i test drove an lcr it just felt to soft and felt like a whale round the bends[/QUOTE]Its a 4 door and considerably heavier....what do you expect? A different class of car cant really compare the 2!

erm...read the thread title dude ;)

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 21 June 2005
For a minute there I thought that this site had turned into http://www.seatcupra.netwww.seatcupra.net

Considering the original question mentions both are similar money yet so many people are saying lcr I think they must have all thought they was on there Jeremy. Surely they should all have have one shouldnt they.
;)