ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seatbelts after crash

N/A Currently
Hi All,

Can anyone advise whether Seatbelts should be replaced after a crash?

I crashed in the snow last week, and hit the front drivers side wheel hard into a tree, causing seat airbag to go off, and i'd imagine both pre-tensioners on that side.

I've been told its best to, but wanted to check?

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Best light the car up mate and get your money back off the insurance.

IMO the whole thing will be wrecked, nothing will work...

sounds as though you've got a bit of damage to deal with anyway but, yes, should renew the seatbelt pre-tensioners. two of mine went off earlier in the week and i'm currently trying to sort them as cheaply as possible; apart from the pre-tensioners, you also need to have the airbag ECU resetting apparently, which is another cost

ed. hang on - you're referring to the actual belts? were they occupied at the time?

assuming this is a Clio -

if your front passenger seat wasn't occupied, the belt will be fine as the PT is in the belt clip on the inside of the seat

if the rears weren't occupied, they'll likely also be OK - they will have been pulled taught by any tensioners but won't have had xx kg to contain, so 'shouldn't' have stretched/frayed (can still check them though)

check your belt for stretching/fraying, although personally think it's unlikely unless it was a serious impact. stretching will usually show as a thin band of smooth, shiny webbing where the belt has been pulled through the runner at the top of the b-pillar

N/A Currently
I'm managing to source parts rather than go through the insurance. Most of the issues will be sorted, i've got a lot of friends who are mechanics, so they've been inspecting it and letting me know what I need.

I just wasnt sure with regards to seatbelts/pre-tensioners, thats the only thing I didnt really have much idea on - thanks for the help!