ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seized Caliper?

v6
Evening all,

recently my brake pedal has felt spongy and can push it nearly to the floor. I've had the brakes bled, discs and pads are new(ish) too. Is this systematic of a seized/sticking caliper? Haven't had a chance to look and to be honest wouldn't know what I should be looking for!

I'm guessing a new caliper would be rather expensive, does anywhere offer refurbed ones e.g. on an exchange basis?

was thinking the same (master cylinder)

they're probably not all that expensive, although fitting looks as though it could be a struggle on the Sports

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If it is a sezied caliper . It might be more simple than you think . You'd have to get it confirmed it is that though .

Can easily be sorted with a bit of grease inside the caliper body itself . My 172 failed it's 2nd MOT on this , greased the piston / inside the caliper and Bobs your uncle it passed the retest :)

C

Cupster

Jog Renault on.

I had a stuck caliper slider. Made the pedal feel really spongey and braking was obviously rubbish and weak. One was completely seized.

I'm no spanner monkey but I had a go myself, I couldn't get the slider free so I got a second hand complete caliper and replaced it. Well I used my original caliper and just transferred the caliper carrier and sliders from the second hander (All cleaned and regreased) = Done.

Just ensure you tighten the bolts nice and tight.

v6
Went into renault today (had the bonnet catch replaced so got them to have a look at the brakes as well), apparantly there's nothing wrong with the brakes :S

The guy said you're supposed to be able to push the pedal to the floor so you don't over pressurise the master cylinder! Which is probably a load of b****cks!

So think I'm going to have a look tomorrow, clean up and re-grease the sliders and hopefully that'll fix it

Golf GTD Mk7
mine does this too. You can push the pedal to the floor. No idea why. Brakes are a bit dodge at times. Very unpredictable

PH1 172 Sport
Went into renault today (had the bonnet catch replaced so got them to have a look at the brakes as well), apparantly there's nothing wrong with the brakes :S

The guy said you're supposed to be able to push the pedal to the floor so you don't over pressurise the master cylinder! Which is probably a load of b****cks!

So think I'm going to have a look tomorrow, clean up and re-grease the sliders and hopefully that'll fix it

Really have to love renault dealerships and there bullshit answers. The pedal should not go to the floor. Check your pistons and sliders but I still think you need a new master cylinder or theres air in the lines somewhere.

Golf GTD Mk7
is there any way of finding out if the master cylinder is buggered? Presumably it wouldn't show up on diagnosics?