ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sell for a VX yes/no!

WOW! just got back! thanks guys theres is some info iv read all of em an i think im defo going to get my self a VX/lotus i have driven the vx an i did like it but u can real y enjoy the car when u have a sales man/woman next to you! for a final choice il go and have another drive and drive it Well!!:devilish:

ant_v6- very nice car thanks for the link.

CocoPops-iv seen you on the vx site luv the car mate. also i cant get the link! i wana see it!! also if you need a MAXOGEN kit PM me:D

i can see the link now! wow that sounds mint* is that de-cated?

[Edited by Jay@auto-mods on 25 August 2005 at 12:33am]

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I now have an ITG Maxogen (just needs fitting).

Bought it for 210quid, 6months old, immac condition.
Sorted! :D

Not sure where youre located Jay? But you could always ask on the vx220 board for a member to show you over a car properly, take you out and give it some? I did :) (Im somewhere between Jc9 M40 and Birmingham most days if it helps?)

Also, its worth noting, we are talking about a non clio car on a clio site, so expect some unhelpful answers :) Im sure the same would be said for a non BMW car on a BMW site etc?

VaVa

I think there must have been some kind of VX meet a few months back as about 5 of them drove through my village. They look absolutely stunning imho, and Id pick one over a Cup any day of the week. Im considering one for my next car....

Oh and first dibs on the engine cover Jay!!

I went from a 172 Cup to a VX220 Na (2.2 16V).

They get a lot better with miles, I had one from new and it felt a bit tight, went in a mates one with 20K miles with no chip and it was quick! Mine got much better but added a Miltek exhuast, chip and induction kit.

Had a rolling road done at 162bhp & 161lb/ft, this in a car that weights 850KG gives you 186BHP/ton, same as the clio V6. The sounds is awesome and truely brilliant car that pulled strongly in every gear (it would happily pull away from stop in second!). In fact (on a private road of course) it was one of the few cars that I have owned that even with the roof down you could max out regularly on a flat piece of road with ease. With the hardtop on, it became a rocket. The torque is really noticeable, 0-60 is very impressive but with that much torque overtaking lines of traffic was a sinch.

Dont bother with a turbo, they weigh more, have had more reliability problems etc. Also with Thorney Motorsport you can get the 2.2 to deliver similar power levels to that of a standard turbo. Factor in the reduced weight and performance is pretty similar. The 2.2 is a great engine, all alloy as opposed to the pig iron of the turbo.

Driving experience makes the clio feel fat and frumpy even coming from a 172 Cup (dont get me wrong they are not bad cars!). The VX is also ALOT faster, I had a couple of clios have a go and especially in chipped form they werent in my mirror for long! I will agree however that the Lotus is more focused, Ive driven both on road and track, but its whether you want to pay the insurance and finally VXs get more respect and attention on the road as most people dont know what it is.

They will hold their value now as well, get a good deal as production has finished and there will be no lightweight purists replacement.

Go to http://www.vx220.org.ukwww.vx220.org.uk its a great site and always loads of people to help out. They do loads of meets and all kinds.

[Edited by Jaakko1 on 25 August 2005 at 11:20am]

[Edited by Jaakko1 on 25 August 2005 at 11:22am]

Jaakko1-Thanks alot for another good review:)

lagerlout1-ok mate its yours if u want it! il PM you when im ready to sell me "bits!"

Little Newms-again if your do realy! want to buy em il PM you! or was u just asking for em! lol

CocoPops-good buy! 210 for a maxogen;) also im in Canterbury/kent so no where near u!

cheers for the help so far

Yaris Hybrid

I still say wait, save for a year and buy a Turbo. Trust me you will be disappointed with the straight line performance of the NA VX and wish you had been less impatient. Remember you are not gaining any power to weight ratio but are losing a lot of raw power. You have probably seen what a 20bhp deficit allows a CTR to do to a Clio over 80mph (despite the Clio having a power to weight advantage) so you can imagine the damage they would do to a VX with 50 odd bhp less.

As I said the other day even the turbo doesnt feel mega quick. It too relies a lot on power to weight and doesnt have enough raw power to compete with the big boys at higher speeds - although it is a hell of a lot quicker than your current car.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Toypop,

will you stop banging on about being down on power.

Its not all about baseline bhp.

Torque is a major factor in drivability/acceleration as well.

Clio 182 = 200nm @ 5250rpm
VX220 = 203nm @ 4000rpm

Therefore the main grunt of the VX is available earlier, so you dont need to ring its neck as much as the 182 to get that power.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by mr_merc on 25 August 2005

I still say you need to drive a Caterham and a VX220 back to back and then tell me which one feels frumpy and uninspiring http://www.cliosport.net/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif
I have done just this with a Superlight and the Turbo VX and you are spot on mate. The Caterham is on a different planet. The Caterham is the only vehicle with more than 2 wheels that I have ever felt I could fall in love with, the driving experience is sexual.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by mr_merc on 25 August 2005

I still say you need to drive a Caterham and a VX220 back to back and then tell me which one feels frumpy and uninspiring http://www.cliosport.net/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif
Yeah, and whos selling one? ;)

They are completely different cars, I feel youre missing the point somewhat.

Thats like comparing the 182 to a Clio Cup Racer, yes they are the same engine/shell, but worlds apart in terms of handling, ride quality etc.

Does comparing a Caterham to a VX have any real bearing on the discussion? No? I thought not!

Yaris Hybrid

The Caterham and VX have far more in common than a 182 and a Cup racer.

They are both "second cars", both are two seater track orientated cars that are not the best in the world for comfort.

The 182 is a road legal 5 seater shopping trolley that you can use as a reliable family car with all the creature comforts. The Cup racer is closer to the Caterham and VX - more so to the VX as the Caterham is in a league of its own.

In fact the VX is closer to the 182 than the Caterham.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

OK mate.

I give up.

Im off to buy a caterham and a 182 as clearly they are the best cars in the world and Im daft to even consider anything else.

How did I ever sell my 182, I must be a sinner for letting it go.

Yaris Hybrid

No just get a Caterham and some old hatchback for £500 with a years MOT.

I only got the 182 because at that time in my life I could for various reason only have the one vehicle and needed performance and practicality in one.

When the 182 is three years old it will go in favour of having two vehicles that each fulfill one of those roles.

Yes the old man is selling a Caterham.

Yes they are comparable cars, it has every bearing on the discussion.

I think Toypop has pretty much explained what I was going to say. Im biased, yes its true, but only with good reason.

I think the only argument a vx220 owner might have is that he could drive his car to work every day and might not feel like he could do so in a Caterham. I know people that do drive to work every day in a Caterham and are fine with it, but I can see its not to everyones tastes.

All I am saying is that some vx owners / supporters on here seem to be discussing handling, weight and so on and so I thought Id suggest him driving a Caterham before making his mind up - as it is a much better car for this type of market in my opinion. In comparison the vx is frumpy and uninspiring. It depends what you want from a car though.

If it were me, Id buy a run around for the heavy rainy days and a Caterham for every other day - otherwise Id feel like Id bought a compromise.

But what do I know hey. Ill be quiet now.

caterhams only look right on tracks.when it rains u have to put an old womans rain hat over it:confused: a vx isnt frumpy neither is a 182.u could say the caterham is frumpy compared to a superbike etc..all three cars r very good at different things :D

i see what u mean by the caterhams being a more raw handling car but i think the vx is more a happy medium to my clio cup "for me" as it will be an everyday car! also the vx does have a boot yes a small one but still a little space does help!

This is all about personal opinion....so my two cents:D

First off all, a cars pace is a factor of BOTH its power & weight; thats why the best measure is power to weight ratio rather than total power output. Caterham is a great example; The CSR 260 has 256 BHP, the M5 has 500 BHP which car is the quicker? The Caterham because it weighs 575Kg not 1600KG!!! The Caterham would pants the M5 (Caterham 445bhp/tonne, M5 312 BHP/Ton).

Same goes for 182 V VX220.

The same arguments also apply to torque. The accesability of that torque depends on the gearing not the number of revs, its more a function of how well mated to the type of driving done by the car than where it is. I actually though for overtakes the VXs torque was too low down and the clios too high.

As to which car, this is an everyday car. The VX can be an everyday car, the 182 is a shopping trolley on steriods, the caterham (heres the tricky bit) in my OPINION is not an everyday car. Depends on what you are prepared to put up with same goes for the level of experience they offer.

FYI Im doing my racing liscence and on the course they use Clios, Elises and Caterhams as tuition cars all for differing reasons!! Clios to get the basics, Caterhams to learn handling (oversteer, understeer etc) and the Elises for final track practise as its a cross between the caterham and a 182. Only then can you go to single seaters.

Horses for courses. Jay, buy all three if you can afford to; they are all fast and fun!

[Edited by Jaakko1 on 25 August 2005 at 5:24pm]

Elise/VX220/R26

If you can deal with the practicality aspect youd be crazy not to get a VX if you want one. I really really wanted an N/A but in the end it just wasnt practical enough, you have to open the doors right out to get in and out and our lass has to park in a tight car park at work, plus 2 seats and a sh*t heater in winter needs commitment. I would have one tomorrow though in terms of perforamnce even an n/a is better in every concievable way than a 182/172 I would not keep the 172 based on performance, only on practicality

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

I used to have a 52 2.2 VX in Europa Blue.

Bought it and had it for 6 months and sold it for the same money.

Great car - can I compare it to my 182? No way! VX was 10x better - more fun and better build quality.

Biggest car mistake I have ever made selling my VX for a 182.

So......id say, get the VX.

lol eery1 has made me want a VX more! and its a clio site! i LUV my clio sport and worked hard to get the 172 cup i always wanted. but this idea has come up an if i can sell me car in time to get the one i want it will be spot on. if not il just wait im not in a mega rush at all but my car is in the for sale section and see how it goes:) just like to say tho that my car is a very well looked after Cup and will be very sad to see it go:( but im sure it will go to a good home!

if i hate the vx its all ur fault lol u made me want one more!:p

see one of these vx things smashed to pieces other day wouldnt have wanted to be the poor bloke inside it. there was nothing left of it and it was only in a 40 looked like he had hit a on coming car doing 100+ the state of the thing. surprised these things even passed ncaps tests?

For the same price as a used VX you could get a similar aged S2000. I ran one for a year and it was a fantastic motor; you have the added advantage of a comfortable(ish), useable everyday car with decent sized boot and an auto hood that wont leak water through every time it rains. Also, if you are considering safety the S2K has a 4 star NCAP rating.

Ive been in a couple of NA VXs when being driven flat-out and they are nowhere near as good as they are made out to be in this thread. My mate has an S1 Elise with a couple of minor mods and in my opinion that is a far superior (and quicker) car.

Just my 2ps

Renault ChaVio

Great noise the S2000 makes to with that high revving engine. The K-series in the Elise gets a lot of uninformed sl*gging partly because the early ones had head bolts made from wood or something causing nearly every MGF to blow the gasket. They are actually a very reliable and easily tunable engine. I think the problems then only start once 170bhp is exceeded.

There area couple of companies out there sticking the Honda TypeR unit in them. Around £10k. 0-60 in under 4, 0-100 in under 12, 170 something top end – with your seat 4 inched off the tarmac.

Its great how much feedback iv had off this there has been alot of mixed views and it has helped alot:D but alot of them being good ones towards the VX

cool pic of the vxt

Hey there is no brand snobbery from me, I am not saying that renault is far better than vauxhall, im not a massive renault fan at all. Every car manufacturer has their good cars that we all like and the not so good ones. Its just with vauxhall, they havnt actually ever made a good car have they? Astra, belmont, cavalier, vectra, calibra, senator, carlton, omega, chevette, signum, monterey, frontera need I go on?? The only decent cars vauxhall have produced recently are the lotus carlton and the vx220 both with the help of lotus. On there own, their cars are useless.

Im with everyone on here, the Vx220 is a good car but for some people (not me) the badge does matter and you cant avoid that! The vauxhall badge is only being kept off the bottom by rover.

I was a fan for ages but was just really disapointed with the experience, I know what u mean about me complaining about being low to the ground and windy - yes that was a stupid point as it is an out and out sprts car. But the main thing which sticks in my mind was the bad build quality - stuff like the lights filled with condensation, cracks in the fibreglass, flimsy switchgear and instruments, the seats sometimes wear through easily. It just felt cheap and not worth 5 figures. I also got shouted abuse wen I was passing through a town. It either is your cup of tea or isnt, how about buying a Clio V6 instead then you get the best of both worlds

People keep saying "clio or vx220 - no contest vx220 everytime"

the vx220 is a great car to imagine yourself in on a nice day blasting down a country road, but in reality, middle of november, freezing, wet, slippy roads, traffic jams etc it becomes less appealing.

Yes its better than a normal clio on a nice day, but i reckon for the money there are alot better cars out there. You can now pick up a nice M3 for around £17000..

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

OK have only skimmed through this thread but cant believe that someone said the VX is hairdresser - have you actually looked at the back of a new shape clio?

Rip3z-lol i have thought about how i will look:eek: but i realy dont care cos its all about the drive and i like the look of it very much but i got called a "chav!" in my car the other day it realy pi**ed me off cos its not like im in a f**king nova!! :mad: oh an i was a girl!

i know what alot "lotus fans say!" i read once on a forum that i was all about the pub talk! like if you was telling a girl "oh i have a lotus an they would go wow!" but if you had the vx220 you would have to explane "you know the one its the sporty vauxhall 2 seater" lol such snobs! but i think the vx220 looks nicer than the S1 but the S2 i think is as nice but different to the vauxhall but also i liked the engine in the VX bigger and more power also im sure the are cams head work ect: just like the clio lump (recon BenR could sort me out?