ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Selling 182 and getting a meg 225?

Cammed 182 :)
Has any one changed from the 182 to the megane? I really like the 182 very fun to drive but miss my turbo pace! Does the megane keep the fun but with a little more grunt I would also be remaping the 225 straight away. I am trying to make my mind up between spending 2k on clio with remap cams with my rs 192 or p/x towards a megane 225.
Any help on this apreciated.
Jonny.

not a fan of chargers pointless really turbos are much more efficient at making power but then I would get problems with tranmision.

Clio 197
Just make sure you don't go to a bog std Ph1 225 - they were utterly crap (I had one).

As you have been spoilt with excellent feedback and road manners (from the 182), only go for:

Trophy
Cup
F1
etc... so don't go for a bog standard 225, as you will be disappointed with its handling.

I went from a 182... to a 225.... back to a 182 for that reason. My fault really, should have gone to specsavers.

Trophy #490
I went from a 182 Trophy to an R26. To be honest it's not as chuckable as the Clio was, but it excels in every other department.

It's a more grown up car, feels better made and is lazier with power everywhere instead of just having a frantic top end. Power gains are relatively cheap (£400 for a re-map gives a 30-40bhp gain) and with a Milltek exhaust the noise is brilliant! Insurance for me is exactly the same as the Trophy was, still expensive at 20 years old but that's to be expected I suppose. :dapprove:

It doesn't feel as 'special' as the Trophy did, but it's an accomplished all rounder to be fair. The LSD on the R26 helps a lot, and I doubt you'd be disappointed if you bought a Megane.

One of my mates had a Megane 225 cup for a year, and after having a go in my 182 he's now traded it in against a 182.

So, he's done the opposite of what this thread is about! lol

I might just keep the 182 i do love it but miss the straight line speed of a turbo.
How much will the clio improve with matched inlets remap along with my exhaust decat?

BMW M135I
I might just keep the 182 i do love it but miss the straight line speed of a turbo.
How much will the clio improve with matched inlets remap along with my exhaust decat?

Thought about the low boost turbo conversion? Not much required there regarding transmission upgrades as far as i know and a bit cheaper than the charger

S1RST/205GTI
I had a 182 full fat and traded up to an R26 and its one of the best decisions i made,dont get me wrong the 182 was awesome but the R26 is just so much better,handling is amazing with the lsd and obviously its a much faster car(mine now stg1 RS tuning 265bhp/291lbft with Forge intercooler).Build quality is better aswell and the ride is a hell of a lot better.
Log onto meganesport.net and you will see quite a few people have made the change and not looked back.
Cant really say about a 225 cos i havnt driven one.;)

172 mk2 Iceberg
keep the 182 over a 225 not so good really

dont know after a remap though........ and the fuel cost will go up massively

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Drove meganes quite abit, prefer me Clio anyday, better handling not massively slower, tyres are 1k for a megane unless ya like budgets, they can drink the petrol too. Overall a big step up in costs for not much performance. R26 is the 1 to go for as the diff makes a big difference. Oh and ya know the saying it's a renault it will break. The meganes break. Lol window motors, central locking you name it the megane breaks it. Just a warning.

Trophy #490
Drove meganes quite abit, prefer me Clio anyday, better handling not massively slower, tyres are 1k for a megane unless ya like budgets, they can drink the petrol too. Overall a big step up in costs for not much performance. R26 is the 1 to go for as the diff makes a big difference. Oh and ya know the saying it's a renault it will break. The meganes break. Lol window motors, central locking you name it the megane breaks it. Just a warning.

I think it is a big step up in performance. Maybe not a huge difference as standard, but a couple of hundred quid thrown at a re-map will give 260-270bhp, and ever since I had mine done it is properly, properly rapid.

Without question I preferred my Trophy on a typical English twisty country road, but everywhere else it loses out. In gear performance is in a different league, and the interior is actually a nice place to be. Granted, it's no S-Class, but still another big step up. No problems in mine as of yet, so maybe I got a good 'un.

I see it like this: if you want a blast on some great roads, you choose the Trophy/182. If you want a well equipped, accomplished all rounder with tuning potential, you get the Megane. I miss the lunacy of the Trophy and the way it never failed to put a smile on my face, but the Megane is a worthy replacement in my opinion. It has many of the Trophy's characteristics handling wise, but in a much more grown up package.

Cayman S Edition 1
We have both (Trophy and 225) and they're both excellent in their own ways. However if I had to choose I'd keep the Trophy. Meggy is very quick and more comfortable, but the Trophy handles better and is more fun to drive.

BMW M135I
For me id go forced induction route, thats thinking price wise though as you said youre looking at spending 2k on cams etc.

By the time youve bought a decent r26 which looks at 9k+ anyway.

As for my opinion, I bought my 172 for 3.5k and after having everything sorted ive probably spent 4.5k so 4k more isnt even going to reach the total for a r26 by looks of prices at the minute and if going the charger route, the clio will still be quicker for less even if the meganes mapped.

Just my 2p's worth

S1RST/205GTI
On a very tight twisty road a 182/trophy would match a R26(only cos of size/chuckability),anywhere else the R26 would run rings around it.R26 is well known for being one of if not THE best FWD cars/hot hatches ever.:D

Black R26, Iceburg 172
I have very recently 'upgraded' from a 172 to a Meg R26 bought off a previous member from here. Absolute weapon and i am loving every minute of it. Used to have a 172 cup before the FF 172 but the R26 just blows them both out of the water in my opinion. Of course stage 2 remap with forge IC (261 bhp/330 lb/ft) helps put a grin on your face :D.
Apart from the savage in gear acceleration i have to say its the cornering that has impressed me most. I can carry 10-20mph extra compared to when i was in the 172 and its still not even close to losing grip, inspires so much confidence! Love the trophy seats as well and has all the goodies you could need. Regarding mpg i was getting around 35 in the 172 and now its around 31 so barely a difference even with the remap. I would definitely encourage the swap but not sure how the R26 compares with the 225 as i have had no experience of them. Hope my input helps! Steve

I have now decided to keep the 182:cool: im now going to get some cams to go along my other mods. Thanks for all the input.