ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sensor, Engine Mounts.. which one? Image Heavy Post

Monaco RS Clio 172
hello,

to cut a long story short the car has been missing and running like a proper pig.

a few months back it blew a plug, so I got a local firm to heli coil it, and replace the plugs and leads. however I have discovered they put bosch super plugs in, so I have just replaced them with the NGK platinums recommended on here from eBay (thanks guys).

upon removing the plenum, the plastic end of this sensor snapped inside it, so I have got that out but have no idea what sensor this is that I need to buy. here are some pictures I was wondering if any of you can help me:

it goes in this part on the drivers side at the top of the plenum (side of it):

what-goes-here.jpg

here is what it looks like now off the car:

snapped-off.jpg

snapped-off2.jpg

so I need to order one of these and hopefully that bit will be fixed.

I have however noticed a serious problem with the drivers side top engine mount. here is a picture of the gap there, about 10mm, and the bolt that appears to have completely snapped.

I need to know what parts I need, is this even the engine mount? the top part looks like something to do with the engine itself and the bolt closest to the front has a crack round it. any idea what I need to replace?

I did a search and found ktec uprated ones look the best/financially viable option, but are they all I need here as ren7oaks can fit them...

snapped-bolt.jpg

that pic above shows the bolt in the hole, but look at the gap where it connects below it.. appears to be snapped and part of it stuck in whatever that bolts onto.

crack.jpg

this is the one closest to the front and you see the circle within the circle, that is the cracked bit.. is this part of the engine mount from ktec? the pics don't look like it..

here is finally how the bolt looks that came out and where it came from:

came from:

bolt-missing.jpg

and the bolt after snapping:

the-bolt.jpg

I hope these pics are descriptive for some advice, I haven't been to any meets for a while and was hoping sash or anyone may have experienced this problem before, I rang ren7oaks after seeing you recommend it sash I just need to know which parts I need as they can't quote without a better description and I can't drive it like this so I have to tow it there.

I am hoping this is 100-200 pounds of work rather than another 500-600 as this car seems to like costing me that much. :(

any help much appreciated,

thanks.

Lionel Richie
MAP sensor is the broken sensor (very expensive new, try the breakers, same as on a 1.2 16V by the way ;))

looks like the numpties who worked on it before didn't torque up the mount bolts

Lots of Alfas
As above its the map sensor. The bit thats cracked is not the mount as such, its the bracket bolted to the engine that sits in the mount. You could easily get this 2nd hand along with some new bolts. They must have had the torque gun on the max setting!!

Monaco RS Clio 172
do you know specifically what I might ask for at a breakers or something?

sorry to be a pain, not so great with cars.. computers only are my speciality lol

Monaco RS Clio 172
and thanks @ MAP sensor, I'll see what I can sort out asap on that one.

now I just need to get new engine mount from ktec, new bolts and bracket from a breakers then get ren7oaks to fit the lot unless this is something I can do on my drive with a jack and some patience?

what do you reckon?

Lots of Alfas
Its very easy. While the engine is supported underneath (use a jack under the sump) Its the 2 or 3 bolts you see on that part that need undoing and the nut that goes into the mount. The sensor just plugs into the loom and slots in the side of the plenum, held in with its rubber grommet.

Monaco RS Clio 172
thanks fred and dave :)

dave, can I bug you one more time.. sorry lol..

so what I need is,

new bracket that goes from engine to engine mount,
new engine mount ( http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2655 ),
3 new bolts by the looks of it,

then tools:

a good jack and some wood (got),
torque wrench (got),
socket

do you know the torque those big bolts need to be at?

and thanks @ map sensor - I figure it's just a plug in job. I tell you something lucky, when it I turned it on the map sensor snapped off, the little plastic bit went right inside the plenum, so I immediately switched her off and unbolted the plenum again.. only to find it sitting, nicely, just down below the tube that connects to the plenum in the center.

lucky for me it didn't go inside and bang my valves to bits I guess?

Lots of Alfas
The mount is what the bracket sits in, its the black buffer and rubber part that is the mount itself. The mount doesnt look damaged (from the pic), you just need a bracket and bolts. The 3 bolts should be tightened to 62Nm and the nut 44Nm

Monaco RS Clio 172
hey,

sorry to revive this old thread but since you've all been so helpful I couldn't resist...

does anyone know a part number or specific name for that bracket?

I rang renault (davis of sevenoaks) and tried to describe it as cliospares had none, and basically they are telling me they can't understand what part I am asking for.

I just said, the bracket that connects to the engine, then to the mount, on the top drivers side..

I can't think how better to put it :(

thanks in advanced

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Why dont you give Steve79 (sutt autos) a pm, he will have on and he isnt that expensive, worth a try dude. Show him this thread and what bracket it is so he knows 100% which one

Lots of Alfas
I could get the part number but my laptop with the dialogues on is at work. Theres lots of people breaking 172/182s at the moment.

Monaco RS Clio 172
ah, I didn't manage to find one and it's been a while now so I figured I'd go reno. just picked up a new bracket and 3 bolts for the sum of £102 after VAT.

going to fit them this afternoon.

I also got the MAP sensor from cliospares for 18 quid vs. 75 at renault - touch - thanks cliospares! :)

fitted sensor, turned it on for a sec with the mount not fixed and it's still running like a pig even after new plugs and sensor, can't see the engine mount thing affecting that so still back to square 1.

when you rev it, it sounds like it's missing.. and it sounds like a scooby if I'm honest, but it certainly doesn't perform like one. even on idle chug chug chug engine light flashing bottom right.

this car hates me. :(

Monaco RS Clio 172
it's running a standard air box with panel filter, JMS remap (think it's the fastchip one), ktec cat back and decat.

I have tried unplugging the after cat sensor that goes in the exhaust to see if there was a noticeable difference, I didn't see one.. I just wondered, does this mean that sensor is ok?

Monaco RS Clio 172
had it out and replaced the bracket today, one of the bolts closest to the front left won't grip up, the old one stretched and ripped the threads so no idea what to do. at this point I'm startng to quite literally give up with this car.

still running like a pig after NGK plugs, figure I'm gonna have to get a diagnostic check and just drive it.