ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shearing noise heard at 70 mph?

PB 172 phase 2
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
A shearing metal against metal sound becomes audible in the cabin at 70mph and if I put my foot down more, then the shearing sound increases in pitch in direct result of increasing speed. The sound/noise comes from the front wheel passenger side. Days before the shearing sound started the SERV & ABS light came on and stayed on all day, then went off. hasn't come back on since.

I took the wheel off today and had a look. no play or movement when shaking the brake disc/hub so I don't believe its the bearings.
When I spun the wheel I videoed it and the shearing/rubbing sound can be heard?
I noticed that the abs ring was caked in axle grease along with everything else. Then I noticed that the CV boot only had one retaining clip on it, the small one nearest the block, while the big retaining clip nearest the hub was nowhere to be seen, I could compress it with a finger.

Question - If I replace the CV Boot with both clips will this stop the shearing sound?

Anybody Know what the reason is for the shearing noise?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Guess could be you've been driving for ages with that clip missing, grease has come out of the CV joint and it's now buggered.

The teeth on your ABS ring look really clean to me like they've been rubbing on something.

PB 172 phase 2
Guess could be you've been driving for ages with that clip missing, grease has come out of the CV joint and it's now buggered.

The teeth on your ABS ring look really clean to me like they've been rubbing on something.
^ I thought that myself about the ABS teeth but the only thing that is close to them is the sensor tip?? Could the sensor be too close/touching/rubbing? and causing the noise?