ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shift Light

recommendations on shift lights please. Either a traditional system feeding of the tacho on the ECU, or I have heard about systems that just plug into your 12v socket and sense pulses off the alternator. You then need to calibrate them against actual rpm. Ideally I need something with 3 LEDs showing when you are near optimal rpm, exact optimal rpm and max allowable engine revs.

recommendations anyone?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I wasnt going to ask but yeah, why?

Cups make noise and have rev counters too dont they?

??

since Ive got your attention, had a chat with Omex who say all I need is 12v, neg ground and neg coil connections. Wheres the coil in the Mk2172/cup pleeez + good suggestions on where to fit the omex + run the wire through the bulkhead.

Cheers

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by CUP80Y on 10 February 2004

Does yours not work on your Cup?? Is the Cup one not accurate enough?
I think the shift light is a warning that the redline* is approaching as opposed to an actual indicator for the optimum time to grab another gear. When you see the little green stick, blink twice then change gear. Works for me!!

*meant rev limiter

but he has a limiter if he hits it and the engine makes a pretty loud noise up that high in the RPM.

And the clio has a coilpack just above the exhaust manifold.

oh since you ask so nicely, its a bit difficult to look at the rev counter while on track and its difficult to judge rpm precisely with my helmet on..

Also, Im a perfectionist..

lol......

maybe a 100wtt red lightbulb on the interior light space?

and a vibrating chair, possibly a boxing glove alert? hehehe;)

thanks for the coil info. Now all I need is a convenient hole in the bulkhead or way to get the wires into the car.

ps: the "shiftlight" on the 172s is not a shiftlight. it tells you when you are about to hit max revs. Waiting to hit the limiter LoL doesnt make for very efficient driving does it? Max power/torque is in a band way down on the 7200 rev limiter, typically 5500-6000.

A sequential series of lights will show you when you are approaching peak power/torque, precisely when youre there and max rpm.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 10 February 2004

lol......

maybe a 100wtt red lightbulb on the interior light space?

and a vibrating chair, possibly a boxing glove alert? hehehe
red lights and vibrating chairs ... I said its for track use ben, not pimping duties

Quote: Originally posted by philip on 10 February 2004

thanks for the coil info. Now all I need is a convenient hole in the bulkhead or way to get the wires into the car.

ps: the "shiftlight" on the 172s is not a shiftlight. it tells you when you are about to hit max revs. Waiting to hit the limiter LoL doesnt make for very efficient driving does it? Max power/torque is in a band way down on the 7200 rev limiter, typically 5500-6000.

A sequential series of lights will show you when you are approaching peak power/torque, precisely when youre there and max rpm.
I was simply emphasising that if you completely screw up you do have a limiter. Im ont saying bounce off it every shift.

But you should be able to shift of engine noise, helmet or no helmet. thats all.

Ben, I agree I should be able to shift on engine noise, but I would find it easier to get precisely the revs I need with an indicator. Do you have any ideas where to put the wires through the bulkhead?

Lionel Richie

yep you can either follow the bonnet cable back through the bulkhead or theres a grommet on the right side just behind the strut tower that comes into the passenger footwell

philip, mechanic had to remove the whole dash, drill thru the instrument panelling to install it...the controller goes behind the empty fuse panel just below the right aircon vent...

will try to take a pic to show you...it looks very much like a stock item when you look at it...so much that me wife didnt even notice...

gimme a day or two...gotta try to find my digicam...

ok thanks. I was interested to know what inputs the unit needs. Typically its +12V, ground and coil. Some units claim to work with 12vdc (cigar lighter only) getting pulses off the alternator. Sounds dubious. As you say the good thing with a shift light is that itll only come on above 5k revs and can be discreet.

very tastefully done. Even renault wouldnt notice.

I presume its a high intensity light, enough to get your attention when youre staring at the road

it is bloody bright...hahaha...i have it set at 4500 rpm to blink and it never fails to irritating the living sh*te outta me...need to have it adjusted upwards...would be really distracting on track with it set at 4500 rpm...