ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

shiny engine bits

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Allrite there
I am wanting to polish up the RS bit on the top of my 172 engine. I can get hold of hold of a dremil to aid with the work. but i would need the polishing bits for it

Just wanted to know what cutting agents are recommended to polish it up nice and shiny

Any advice on best method to do it would be much appriciatred

Cheers Dave

VRS
lots of grades of wet and dry matey!
use a bit of aluminium oxide paper to start with to get rid of the crap then work through the wet and dry grades: 120,200,400,600,800,1200,1500,2000!
then finish off with some autosol metal polish and or megs teck metal polish :D

*be careful not to press too hard with the dremel cos you dont want to create more work by making bigger and deeper scratches as the inlet plenham is very soft

andy

Sounds good.
wont be using the dremel to go through the grades. just use it with the buffer pad with autosol to bring it out. Will ave a go this week end see how i get on.

cheers Dave

Chocolate Bar™
makavelli said:
*be careful not to press too hard with the dremel cos you dont want to create more work by making bigger and deeper scratches as the inlet plenham is very soft

andy

dont think you held back on the pressure judging by the amount of broken ends in my dremel kit ;)

Racing Blue 182
I did mine last weekend, had not fingers left so it isnt finished

Looks ok though

Used a set of alumium oxide and wet and dry paper i got from halfraud - was £4.99

Ive made a start on it today. ive gone down to 800 grade so far. need to get sum 1200 and 1500 2000 to finish the job off. but saying that its still quite good down to 800 put a bit of auto glym metal polish to clean it up a bit looking good. will be awsome once ive done the finner grades.
my fingers are ok, its just an achey arm at the mo. i used a small bit od scrap wood lying around the shed as a mini sanding block. worked a treat
I know u guys said it was soft but didnt realise how soft it was makes the results come up much quicker. Bonus
Gonna try finnish it off tomorrow. try and post some pics also. of the results. got some before 1s alredy. and will get after ones up if i can

Dave

R35 GTR
Dont need to use sandpaper. Get a linishing kit. 3 fabric wheels and 3 compounds are what i have. 80,120,240 grit. Then a grey compound with hard mop and white compound with the soft one, for the final two polishing stages, brings up to a mirror finish. All done with a drill, but I think its knackered now.

Whats the price on one of those? and where can you get them?
Dont mind puting a bit of elbow grease in coz its free.

That looks a reasonable price. didnt think to look at screwfix. seeing that i have an account with them. plus they deliver well fast

Dont know how you managed it. A good few hours on that must of took sum doing

May be one day i might pluck up the courrage and do it. But if i do most prob get a replacement one so i can take it off and do it in me own time

Dave

R35 GTR
  A4 Avant & A3
does this make much of a mess when sanding the metal? Just wondering as i might have to try polishing up the renaultSport bit on the engine but don't wanna go getting metal particles all over the place.

Its not too bad. I just used a cloth the mop it up as your going allong and an old toothbrush to brush the bits between the lettering. that seemed to work for me

Dave

Yea it does
It took me about 5 hrs to do all together. did 3 hrs on the fri afternoon and 2 on the sat. was ok tho got a bit bored at the end. but glad i did it. looks good and hardly costs you anything. only materials to do it.

Dave