ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should A 172 Feel Faster than a 182...?

LY V6 with Recaros
We've got a ph2 172 at work at the moment (standard) which I had a quick spin in, and it feels quicker than my 182. Ok, mine has 20k on the clock and this one had 52k, so it's obviously looser, BUT I've been in a 182 that's on site here with 60k on which still didn't feel as quick as this 172 :S Could that just be a particully quick one or do they all feel like that?

I did notice the difference in the handling without the cup packs mind.

Monaco 172 2/468
I think the 182 feels a bit more refined, so the 172 probably feels a bit more cheeky on the throttle. Side by side they'd still be close as hell though, the 182 with a touch more power of course.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Most likely a quick 172. My 172 was deffo quicker than my 182, but it was a freak, it's the quickest RS I've driven, felt stronger than the Morego 202.

LY V6 with Recaros
172's are quicker than 182s :rasp:

Opened a can of worms :quiet:

I don't want to open a can of worms lol, it's not a 172 vs 182 thread, I was just wondering as it's the first time I'd driven a 172 and I was under the impression that they were the slower of the RS Clio's, but I guess they aren't lol!

It just seemed to pull better and the kick was lower down and more pronounced.

Golf R
The 172 i had for a few months felt slower than my old Trophy in a straight line, otherwise i don't think there was much in it. That was a PH-quick though, not a PH2

330i. E30 Touring.
I always find music changes how slow i think my car is. Listen to something quick and loud, like the old bloc party stuff and the car feels faster, yet listen to something slow such as get cape, wear cape,fly and my car feels slower....

Or is that just me being a weirdo?

LY V6 with Recaros
I always find music changes how slow i think my car is. Listen to something quick and loud, like the old bloc party stuff and the car feels faster, yet listen to something slow such as get cape, wear cape,fly and my car feels slower....

Yeah music does tend to influence my driving style sometimes. There was no music on while I was driving though lol.

Can remember tangling with several 172's off here when I was running the Cooper S. They were not consistent - some definately quicker than others. Also went to R/R day at Nobles with a bunch off this forum and the power outputs of the 172 were massively varied. 145 - 170 brake. My Cooper S showed 180 brake as standard. Never took it back after getting it Hartge'd. All the Williams's which ran were impressive 150+.

330i. E30 Touring.

Yeah music does tend to influence my driving style sometimes. There was no music on while I was driving though lol.

Who knows then, probably because you are used to the 182, the 172 feels different. Not as such faster, just different. Who knowsss......

I test drove a 182 with 25k on it ages ago, and it felt slower than my 172 with 45k on. When I jumped back in the 172 after, it felt quicker.

Obviously, it wasn't though, so I reckon it had something to do with the noise levels or something.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
there's nothing in it anyway..... in a straight line ;)

probably just a quick one, hammered from new

indenial imo, 182 is faster. . .like wen i used to put a can on my bicycle to make it sound like a motor bike lol id feel like was on a ducati 999:star:

Clio Sport xxx
Your imagination/psychological state will also influence how fast a car 'feels'. It can easilly make as much of a difference as say +/-0.5 sec 0-60 on a given car.

This can be dependant on various things such as how the car sounds, to how you want/expect the car to feel.

106 GTi
Get someone else from work to take it out and compare them against each other - is the only way!

2003 MR2 Roadster

I think it also depends if you have been abusing drugs. I once caught a bus home after taking 15 grams of coke and I swear it did 1/4 mile in 5 seconds!!!

PS-Dont take drugs kids - they will kill you (but you'll die happy!).lmao

2003 MR2 Roadster
Your imagination/psychological state will also influence how fast a car 'feels'. It can easilly make as much of a difference as say +/-0.5 sec 0-60 on a given car.

This can be dependant on various things such as how the car sounds, to how you want/expect the car to feel.

This really is true in my opinion..A loud exhaust always makes you feel like you are travelling faster

Monaco 172 2/468

This really is true in my opinion..A loud exhaust always makes you feel like you are travelling faster

Yeah deffo true, mine's like a rocket compared to a 182 I know well, purely on noise alone hehe :cool: I'd work it out at 2 seconds quicker to 60 lol

Clio Sport xxx
Another example.... before i got my 172, i was stepping out of a mk2 golf gti 16v (fast cars for their time), 0-60 in about 7.9sec. So when i first drove a 172, knowing it was almost a second faster to 60, i obviously expected it to be 'LOADS' faster. Yet when i had my first test drive, it actually felt no quicker at all, and slower below 5000rpm. WEIRD!!

Now, however, im used to it and i do actually feel the extra speed the car has over my old golf

2003 MR2 Roadster
I really think its down to how hard you drive it..I have only had my 172 for 3 months and was thinking it was not as fast as i expected..But if I remember back to the test drive I was smiling like a cheshire cat. I think you get used to the power. I also think I have been driving it to low down the rev range..Just took it out on some quiet roads and drove it properly (it loves 5-7k) -was very happy with the performance (but not the petrol consumption).

BMW M135i
Another example.... before i got my 172, i was stepping out of a mk2 golf gti 16v (fast cars for their time), 0-60 in about 7.9sec. So when i first drove a 172, knowing it was almost a second faster to 60, i obviously expected it to be 'LOADS' faster. Yet when i had my first test drive, it actually felt no quicker at all, and slower below 5000rpm. WEIRD!!

Now, however, im used to it and i do actually feel the extra speed the car has over my old golf

I had the same thing coming from my old 1.6, it took a while of driving to realise how very much quicker it actually was.

Clio 172 mk2
My 172 feels slow but it's only because it's an NA engine and the power/torque delivery is reasonably linear compared to my old, laggy turbo ride.

B

Brown.

My Vee feels sluggish until ima passenger.!!!...its your car you get used to it... more likely exactly the same..... bearing in mind there the same car.!!

LY V6 with Recaros

So in theory there then, my 182 should feelk faster as it's louder