ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should discs wear faster than pads

Alright there peeps,

My 172 is in for its 24K service and Ive just had a call from the garage to say that the rear discs are worn and badly lapped. The problem is that the car is 18 months old and according to the mechanic the pads are only 50% worn. Considering these are the pads that the car came with, from new, is this possbile without a faulty set of discs? Im going with a big fat NO, but wondered if anyone here had a good reason why this might have happened.

Also whats the number for Renault UK as I might need a word with them.

Thanks.

Golf R/Leon FR

i would say the pads should wear alot quicker than discs.

not sure as to why the discs have worn that badly in only 18 months

2005 Impreza WRX STI

pads should go first! it seems like all 172s rear discs get a lip on them tho! mine need replacing

whenever yoz sends me them;)(get well soon)

I found Renualt UKs number and they said to get the garage to phone them and they will try to sort it out, so hopefully it will get sorted.

I really dont understand how its possible. The front discs are fine, and theyve just had a new set of pads, so how have the rear discs worn so quickly in a front wheel drive car?

possibly the brake bias isnt working correctly and is putting too much of the braking force to the rear wheels? get them to check it out just incase, if it is the case is could turn out pretty dangerous in an emergency braking situation

clio 182 black /gold

My old corsa had 3 sets of pads and no discs. The car has got nearly 70K on it because i know the guy who bought it.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Well from my experience 172 rear discs tend to rust around the edges faster than they wear out and Id expect the pads to wear much faster than the discs. Rear pads on 172 are pretty skinny to start with and as a result some garages reckon theyre worn out earlier than they actually are.

Fact that your pads are fine and your discs arent just doesnt compute!

The Jinx

IGNORE THE GARAGE. THIS COULD BE THE STANDARD RENAULT LINE TO GET MONEY.

tell them to leave it, then get an independent to check your brakes.

[Edited by Swervin_Mervin on 8/2/2005 2:19:23 PM]

Ive just been offered 66% of the cost for new discs and labour to change the discs, which works out at £150 for new discs and pads + labour, which is pretty good for a Renault main dealer.

Im going to phone Renault UK again though as this has to be a faultly batch of discs, therefore its a warranty issue.

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 02 August 2005
IGNORE THE GARAGE. THIS COULD BE THE STANDARD RENAULT LINE TO GET MONEY.

tell them to leave it, then get an independent to check your brakes.

[Edited by Swervin_Mervin on 8/2/2005 2:19:23 PM]

Exactly, or a mate that knows. It doesnt take much to spot a shagged disc or pads.

Ok, they are not budging on the discount, except to include the pads as well. They claim that as Ive had 24K miles of motoring out of them I should pay for some of it, which is fair enough. I wont book it in just yet though Ill have a look at them myself and perhaps get a second opinion. I have to say though Im impressed with the turn around time from Renault UK, 2 hours 20 minutes is pretty good.

The Jinx

Definitely get a 2nd opinion. Its a common line telling people that their brakes are X% worn and the discs are warped. Several people on here have had this line, including me.

If it turns out the discs are buggered then a discount seems the best youll get TBH.

Clio V6 255

I had this happen to my old Dynamique, 18,000 miles front discs went before the pads (65% worn), however my dealership said it was wear and tear and under no circumstances were they going to offer a discount or put it through under warranty.

Sh*te renault parts for you.

Right Ive had a look at these discs and as far as I can tell theres nothing wrong with them. They arent perfectly flat but they are smoth with only minor undulations in them, in fact theyre in the same condition as the front discs. So I think Ill get a second opinion.

However I am tempted to just get them replaced and ask for the old parts, as they are now quoting £120 for the lot which is a billy bargain for pads and discs. In fact its about as much as it would cost to have renault replace just the pads.

A few years ago I took my 306 in for a service and the dealer told me the subframe bushes needed replacing, as they were split, and this was a common problem (it is) I told them not to do the work...

3 years and 3 MOTs later - no problems at all. Go figure.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

my front discs are worn more than my pads and the pads have 50% life in them, very odd seeing as neither have been changed

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by Liftnub on 02 August 2005
Right Ive had a look at these discs and as far as I can tell theres nothing wrong with them. They arent perfectly flat but they are smoth with only minor undulations in them, in fact theyre in the same condition as the front discs. So I think Ill get a second opinion.However I am tempted to just get them replaced and ask for the old parts, as they are now quoting £120 for the lot which is a billy bargain for pads and discs. In fact its about as much as it would cost to have renault replace just the pads.

Dont get them unless they need changing. £120 is lot for rear discs and pads.

According to two other garages the discs do need replacing. Minimum thickness is 7mm and mine are 7.2mm.

Kwikfit wanted £400 to change them, those crazy jokers.

My rear disks went 38,000 miles...

£130 for replacement, no labour charge on top either wich would make the cost soar.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Citroen tried this on with me, failing my MOT for rear discs.

There was nothing wrong with them at all.

I took them to my local garage and they said they were fine too.

Slight concentric ring marks all the way round but nothing wrong.

Even if they do need replacing, do them yourself. Doddle.

cant you change them yourself with parts from GSF?

if the discs are badly lipped then you may be able to have them put on a lathe to remove them, if you have a local machine shop. wouldnt cost alot.

and yes, the pads are supposed to wear before the discs, my old man was told when he bought his megane DCi that the discs should last the life of the car!