ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I get a Vee?

Had my 172 from new which is over 3 years now and looking at getting a new car. Noticed that the V6s are getting reasonably cheap now and am seariously considering buying one. The money isant really a problem as i have just got a fulltime job since finishing uni. The main problem is that im only 22 with 3 years no-claims. Just wondered what people think, should i take the next step up or stick with the 172?

Yaris Hybrid
Mk1 or Mk2?

If its the former then definitely don't bother as the step up in car isn't as big as the step up in costs/impracticality.

If its the latter then I dunno as I haven't driven one.

al

ST on the way...
If you want a V get a MK2.

You could always get a Trophy for just as much if not more fun!

Nimbus Clio 197
as the man said, get an insurance quote first. see if its actually worth the astronomical figure they will come up with....!

I got a quote on a mk1 v6 - said it was worth 13k (I should have said, more like 11k) & it was £900 f/c i'm 25 with 4yrs ncd now & that price was protected !!

I'm considering it !

Lionel Richie
i'm 22 and i've got a black mk2

its great, BUT

i've just had to do the following (had the car 3 weeks)

new front discs and pads and a new set of tyres (showing off at photoshoot!)

rrp on the tyres is about £700 a set

discs are nigh on £300 from renault
pads are actually reasonable (hey i co own a renault tuning company which helps!)

they DRINK fuel, but are fine on the motorway, i got 350miles out of a tank at 30mpg!!!!

oh and you can see the fuel gauge move when you turn the aircon on

cambelt change = ££££££

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I am, but I will be 25, 8yrs ncb, no points. I am getting a MK2, not interested in MK1.

Now: 350Z; Before: Trophy
I doubt a Trophy is less fun nor slower on a track. Plus it will be cheaper to run (especially fuel, tyres) insure and buy. It will also retain a higher resale % and £. It is also more practical.

I would only buy a V6 for looks and straight line speed.

Cheers
O.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I think if you are honestly wanting a Vee the Trophy doesn't even come into consideration, I know it doesnt for me anyway. I see the Vee as an upward movement from the 172, the Trophy a sideways movement.

Gareth said:
I think if you are honestly wanting a Vee the Trophy doesn't even come into consideration, I know it doesnt for me anyway. I see the Vee as an upward movement from the 172, the Trophy a sideways movement.

Yep its the only car worth considering if Im going to upgrade, but it looks like im going to have to wait a few more years as the insurance quotes are coming up too much and im not prepared to pay silly amounts for it. :(

Turbos.
I do like the V6, they look absolutely fantastic, but for the money you can get many better cars, and they aren't all mundane either.

An orange one
whack in on your dads name im with elephant..21 years old..£870 with piperX, k-tec and 19" wheels declared :)

the mk1 is such a damn good car once you learn it! dont believe the hype from half the people who've never driven one

One thing i've noticed though (on autotrader) is that the same cars seem to have been on there for months !!:S
They must either be really sh*t examples, or no one wants to buy a v6.

clio v6
i have owned mine for 4 years and i can't remember a day when it has not brought a smile to my face.
i promise you subz you will not get a better car for the money.
i have owned A610/gta/bmw alpina/porsche....

Pikey Truck
Get it!! Insurance wouldnt be too bad...

I've had quotes for 1100 on the mk2, with 2yrs ncb, 3points and 21!

BMW Z4 3.0i
I've had a look at a mk1 at a used car dealership and it was a great let down. The interior just looks pants compared to mine (IMO). Dated is a better description than pants. Anyway, after only a few minutes of looking at this mk1 (good condition), I just realised it wasn't special enough to warrant all the negatives. The 17's just aren't the same as the 18's. The old font just isn't quite as good as the mk2, the interior doesn't feel as special without the colour coding. That teamed up with the knowledge just from reading about it that performancewise it's no great leap and bound from a 172, I decided I'd be happier with my 172.

A clio trophy IMO is nowhere near a different class than a 172, which if you're upgrading, you want to achieve.

Now a mk2 would feel very special indeed I bet, but they're just so frikking expensive. Prices STARTING around £15-16k. M3's are still coming down in price and if the mk2 prices don't come down then they're gonna meet!. Now although a V6 looks the shizzle, you know in your heart of hearts that the current M3 would wipe the floor with a mk2 V6. Plus it's better built and more practical. Comes down to how much you yearn for the wow factor that a V6 gives like nothing else short of an Aston Martin or similar.

In a Vee you know pulling into work's car park everyone (including the car-ignorant) are gonna be thinking "f**king hell, wow!"

In an M3 only the car knowledgable and probably a few blokes would think "flash git, nice car"

In a trophy, only really renault fans will even know what the hell it can do. Even then it looks almost the same as any other clio. (same goes for a 172)

Someone said only a v6 is a worthy upgrade, I'd say a meggy is certainly worth looking into. I know I am.

BMW Z4 3.0i
your gf is right. Though buy one on your own and charge her rent (only small amount obviously!) as women aren't to be trusted.

Lionel Richie
R32??? lay OFF the crack!!!

you can drive EVERYWHERE at 30mph and look cool in a V6 :) (well i try too!)

Mars Red Clio V6 255
just one thing to say... if you seriously want a v6 then no other car on the planet will do, its jsut one of those cars that if you want you have to have... cant really compare it to any other car out there, i mean how many 3 litre mid engine rear wheel drive v6 hatchbacks are there??

ILLIAD VEE!!
Hi..,

If it's any help, I bought my Vee probably about 7/8 weeks ago now (previous car was a 182) I've not stopped smiling since getting it :D they are REALLY special cars and I don't regret getting it, even though I had massive doubts about getting it up the lane where I live, because of how low the front skirt was...!! :S :D

It's just an absolute dream to drive....don't get me wrong the handling of the Vee is completely different to the 182 and it's tricky in the rain:race: ....but I'm getting used to it and there's a lot more to learn yet, but that's the fun of owning one, every day is different..:approve:

If I had a quid, for all the Golf GTI drivers (yes, with the ridiculously large wheels -SHEEP....BAHHHHHH!!!!) who have passed the Vee and rubber-necked at it that much they've nearly fallen out of their car.:hail: ...I'd be able to pay off my Vee finance....it's true what someone else said in an earlier post (GAZ?) You don't see any Vee's on the roads and even people who aren't car fanatics, stop, stare and point.....!!!! :cool: They're as rare as rocking horse sh*t and I would not swap mine for anything....

Go for your life matey - you're a long time dead....!!! :rasp: :D

Get yourself onto V6Clio.Net if you get one...!!! (great bunch of guys and have made me really welcome..!!!) :D

Jainy.