ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I have used loctite?

Golf GTD Mk7
Noticed that the 182 was wistling recently. This is after having the inlets ported etc. So for a while the whistle disappeared. Had a look under the bonnet and all the bolts on the upper and lower inlets were loose :S. I tightened them pretty tight when I put everything back together originally, but didn't want to snap them which from what i've read is easy to do.

Re tightened them up this afternoon, but will they do it again?

e91 330d/type r mini
it wouldnt do any harm but i have never had to use it and never had any come loose, strange that they have worked loose though :S

53 Clio's & counting
i expect the bolts may strip the thread out the manifold mate, they are only supposed to be done up very lightly, this happened with mine so i put normal nuts and bolts on

Golf GTD Mk7
Hmmm, was wierd that ALL of them were loose. Could it mean I over tightened them all and screwed the threads up?

Golf GTD Mk7
saying that, If they were tightening up today the thread must still be there.

What how did you sort yours?

Dodgy one
On another note i'd be interested to know if it made any difference on your 182 having the inlets matched, Your the first i know of whos done it :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Ptfe tape is used in plumbing to stop leaking past the threads.

Try locktite, if that doesn't work then just use a normal nut and bolt I guess

PTFE could work I guess. Should withstand the temps. How are you suppose to put nuts and bolt on them? Ok the top one maybe, but the bottom of the lower inlet, no chance :(

On another note i'd be interested to know if it made any difference on your 182 having the inlets matched, Your the first i know of whos done it :)

Really? Can't work out if that was sarcasm ;) I noticed a difference yes, but had my BTB fitted at the same time, so probably a mixture of the two

Dodgy one
Really? Can't work out if that was sarcasm ;) I noticed a difference yes, but had my BTB fitted at the same time, so probably a mixture of the two

No i'm being serious lol, I know a lot do it on the 172s because of the casting been miles out, Might have to have a looksie at getting mine done :approve:

Golf GTD Mk7
:( I'm hoping it might be that i didn't tighten them enough. I sprayed the mani's too, so paint thickness might be making a difference. It cracked this time when I tightened it.

the bolts are steel and the castings that they screw into are alloy, so, if you've overtigtened them, the steel will have cut the alloy

given what you've said (re. that they've tightened up a second time), they may just not have been tight enough originally and have worked loose

i'd honestly not worry about it unless they work loose again.

PTFE gasket?
i've a set on mine and assume that they've more compression than the OE metal gaskets - could also be related

guessing, but worst case scenario (if the alloy's threaded) is using longer bolts with nuts on t'other end as Russ seems to be suggesting (not had a look myself)

does sound fiddly though

hopefully just an original tightness prob:)

Dodgy one
If the lower ones holding a thread, I'd get some Loctite on it, The red one as I think thats the one that resists high temps?

Golf GTD Mk7
yeah might do, although the temps not that high there really. I'll see how she is after oulton next week